Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I hope you're doing well. the XG750 is the first bike I have ever owned. I recently took the Harley riders safety course on a 500. I enjoyed the experience and since it was what I knew I stuck with it. So far, I'm glad I have. It seems like a great bike. Most of my riding has been within a 5 mile radius of my home, as I get used to and and become a more confident rider. So essentially I am 67 miles in to my riding career. Every ride is an a joy, even though I'm still finding it difficult to know when to shift and in some cases finding an error in the way I shifted. I'm sure this will work itself out as I gain more experience.

For those of you who are in the know, I have a couple of questions:
1. Should I be worried about the break-in process? since I am doing short trips and may not be shifting properly all the time.
2. What ques are others using to know when to shift. Its easier at low speeds, but at higher speeds I cant really hear the engine.

Take care,
SC

·
Registered
766 Posts
welcome and congrats on your new bike!

within a break in period, I would not over rev the engine too high.
plus I wouldn't lug (too high in a gear with too low of a rpm) it either

knowing when to shift when a bike doesn't have a tach, I go by the sound. these bikes do have quite stock mufflers though

so, an aftermarket slip on muffler can make the engine easy to hear while wearing a helmet at higher speeds.

I have a firebrand loose cannon muffler with the db killer baffle.
it sounds deeper and louder but with the baffle it isn't too loud.

we all miss gears sometimes, but try not to force the bike to pull out of a lug, especially on a new engine.

for now, try to hear the engine and keep the rpms in the middle so to speak.

hope this helps a bit.;)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I shift by the feel of the engine. Too high a gear and too low a speed, The engine will start clunking. And will eventually stall. Too high of speed and too low gear, Engine vibrates. Hold 1st to 15 MPH and see what it feels like. Hold 2nd at 10 MPH and see what it feels like.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Riding on the roads near your home is a great way to gain confidence and learn the controls on your Street. Your path to riding is the same as mine; I took the Rider's Edge on the 500 and took my first rides on my new 750 in my neighborhood. As I have told the story before on this forum, a neighbor's dog contained by a buried electric fence, chased me from one end of its yard to another for multiple trips. It finally gave up and laid in the middle of the yard and watched me go by. Riding familiar, low traffic streets allowed me to get used to shifting, starting and stopping, using the turn signals and sound of the bike when rpm's were too low or too high. The owner's manual recommends shifting speeds and I used these as guidelines when I first started. Now I still keep those guidelines in mind, but am more attuned to the sound and feel of the bike. I agreed with Rock270's advice about the slip-on. I am running the stock muffler but will change it this winter. It works okay when I am riding alone, but if I ride with a group the louder bikes make hearing mine difficult. Welcome and ride safe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the kind works and great advice. I think I have been shifting properly for the most part, but it certainly is the thing I pay most attention to on the road. I continuously worry that I am revving the engine to loud, as I know this cant be good for the bike. I wish HD would have put a tach on this bike, especially since its supposed to be crafted for new riders. Has anyone heard of adding a tach to a street?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Re: SHIFTING WITHOUT A TACH,

I think with a little practice it becomes Intuitive. Avoid "lugging" the engine when gear is too high for the speed and go to a higher gear when vibration feels excessive.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the kind works and great advice. I think I have been shifting properly for the most part, but it certainly is the thing I pay most attention to on the road. I continuously worry that I am revving the engine to loud, as I know this cant be good for the bike. I wish HD would have put a tach on this bike, especially since its supposed to be crafted for new riders. Has anyone heard of adding a tach to a street?

I seen in the owners manual a while back, recommended advice about what speeds to shift into what gear, at stated speeds. those guidelines should help new riders get a feel on learning how to shift the bike.

a copy of that page temporarily attatched to the tank where you could see it may be of some use while driving until you get more used to shifting the bike.

tach?...yes there was another thread here where a member installed a tach on his bike. he even explained what wires to attach.

later if you install a free'r flowing exhaust and free'r flowing air filter, then get a fp3 fuel management device......that device works through your smart phones Bluetooth connection and has the ability to display a tach (among other info such as a gear indicator ,etc..on the screen of your smart phone....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts