Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owner's manual for the Street 750 says to keep it under 5K for the first 50 miles and under 7K for the first 500, now I know it depends on what gear you are in but since the Street doesn't have a Tach to go by, what milage on the speedo would you say equates to 5K or 7K ? So if I'm in 3rd or 4th , what mileage should I be going and still be safe in following the break-in guidelines ? Should I just keep it under 30 miles per hour for the first 50 miles?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My Dealer told me to use all the gears. Not to drive down the highway for the entire break-in. Just don't beat on it. Use all the gears. I changed the Oil and Filter at 500 miles. It was looking kind of gray.

The day after I bought mine, I went on a long ride with some friends. Met up with a group called Dawn Patrol. Did their run. And they had a Raffle afterwards. Which I won a small prize. Bad to the Bone flask. But hey, Put at least 100 miles. I forget exactly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike was delivered with 2.9 miles on it, I had my first ride yesterday and put only about 3 miles on it. When I got back , I checked the owner's manual, I read again about the break-in period but was curious about how much to put on the engine since I don't have a tach. I think I'm still ok. I haven't had a new bike that had to be broken in in over 30 years, so I'm babying it right now. Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
The owner's manual for the Street 750 says to keep it under 5K for the first 50 miles and under 7K for the first 500, now I know it depends on what gear you are in but since the Street doesn't have a Tach to go by, what milage on the speedo would you say equates to 5K or 7K ? So if I'm in 3rd or 4th , what mileage should I be going and still be safe in following the break-in guidelines ? Should I just keep it under 30 miles per hour for the first 50 miles?

Just ride safe your not going to go over 5000 rpms unless you hammer on the throttle in a low gear. Use the gears an if the engine starts to hum shift up you will be ok. I bought mine new and my first bike I did get on the throttle a bit trust be you will be fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks , I wouldn't figure that Harley would make a bike so delicate that I would hurt something internally if I went up to 5k or even over a little during break-in. Thanks again.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My dealer had recommended I keep it under 3000rpm as much as possible but cycle through all the gears for the first 500 miles.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
488 Posts
As a rule of thumb I used all the gears and did not go past the 12 o'clock on the spedo for the first 500k. Also made a point of not going too slow in any of the gears with a handful of throttle.

There is light at the end of the tunnel - once it is broken in the only thing that gets bigger will be the smile on your face.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just made sure I shifted early and never maintained a steady speed for too long (varied my speeds). That's what you do with a new outboard, lol.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Old School translation of Engine Break-In Instructions.

Take the bike out for a really good afternoon of riding and short shift your gear changes. After that ride the piss out of it but be sure to vary the RPM so you don't ride for an extended period of time at the same RPM for the first seven "riding" days. Varying the RPM is what's important about the break-in of the engine.

As a former racer we spent 30 minutes of varying the RPM for the engine break-in and then it was RACETIME. All you're really tying to do is break in the rings and bearings to rub any burrs off so that everything moves easily. Tranmissions take longer because the steel gears are hardened steel but with a few hundred miles of riding the shifting becomes easier as the burrs wear off the gears.

If everthing is built right then break-in is highly over-rated. If it's not built right then it's going to break anyway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This drove me crazy also. The last motor type thing I had to break in was a Harbor Freight air compressor. Even my crafstman push mower engine had been broken in at the factory.

I just stuck to the suggested speeds at which to shift and didn't take it in the highway for 500 miles.

I did the oil change myself at 1000 miles and could tell there was tiny microscopic pieces of metal in it. At least it wasn't chunky metal bits like the air compressor.

·
Registered
187 Posts
my street 750's first 90 kilometers consisted of some Manila traffic followed by a trip up the North Luzon Expressway. on the expressway i used all the gears and varied my km/h every 4-5 minutes with a few wide open throttling every time the odometer ended in 5 and nothing in my way

that was back in September and i have yet to use a freeway again. bike is at 910km right now primarily from stop and go traffic riding

·
Registered
25 Posts
Engine died.

I was around the 35 mile mark on my break-in when I pulled into this parking lot to turn around and as I entered, the engine just died, not sure if I may have let it lug or had my revs to low but it didn't feel like I did , actually it felt like I was right where I was supposed to be in my friction zone for the gear I was in ,weird. For a sec I thought maybe I bumped the kill switch or something or maybe I was low on gas but I checked the level before starting out and it was just below the tube in the tank. Not sure what happened but after verifying the on position of the kill switch and that I was in neutral , I pressed the start button and everything was fine for the ride home. I'll have to keep an eye out for this to reoccur on my next ride before calling the service department at the dealer. Just sharing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
yeah that happens to me often here: in stop&go traffic, the bike will simply stall out. it is likely to be the fuel pump problem combined with the not-so-good quality gas available here in Philippines.

usually i have to pull off the road and shimmy the bike side to side before it will run without stalling out

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I did the oil change myself at 1000 miles and could tell there was tiny microscopic pieces of metal in it. At least it wasn't chunky metal bits like the air compressor.
This is to be expected. When machined the parts typically have sharp edges that wear off during break-in and this material ends up in the oil as small, almost mircoscopic metal shavings. Big pieces are a very bad sign and even small pieces once the engine and transmission have had time to properly wear in.

I still think the books on break-in are basically BS because after the first 30 minutes we were "race ready" with an engine. Vary the rpm without over-reving the motor and after about 30 minutes it's ready to go. Remember that the engine has turned over about 30,000 times or more in that first 30 minutes. Adding more revolutions doesn't really change much as far as the engine is concerned.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts