Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud new owner of a street rod. Bought it today I have been looking at bikes for about a year now and never really found anything I liked until this. I went to a dealer to see the street 750 and saw the street rod and fell in love. The wife really liked it to. So before someone else bought it I did.

I am not a very experienced rider and I do have my license but I plan to take it slow and get to know the bike before taking it our on a busy street.

IMAG1024.jpg

Sent from my HTC 10

·
Registered
335 Posts
Nicely done! Congratulations on your new bike! I believe you're the first member here who has a Street Rod.

I am not a very experienced rider and I do have my license but I plan to take it slow and get to know the bike before taking it our on a busy street.
Very wise. The Streets have gobs of torque, and an errant flick of the wrist when in low gear could result in getting into a hairy situation pretty quickly. Definitely practice a lot of low-speed maneuvering in a parking lot or something until you're really experienced with the clutch and the low-gear torque. And, of course, if you haven't taken the MSF course, that's always a good thing for an inexperienced rider to do.

Welcome to the family!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I did take the safety course. I really wanted the street and I did not care for the street rod until I saw it in person and I fell in love. Once a sat on it I was sold.

Sent from my HTC 10

·
Registered
504 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, and "Welcome to the forum, from SW Ontario"!

Where are you from?

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Congrats! Interested to hear your experience on it

·
Registered
490 Posts
This past Saturday, I asked a couple of dealerships to call or text me when they received the Street Rod. I was just contacted today by the House of Harley and they just received a Gray colored Street Rod just like the one you bought and to come by to see it. They were still prepping it so it couldn't be started or check out the speedometer. I sat on the bike while the sales guy held it in place. It felt great. They are going to put it on their dyno and check the performance. This dealership was also holding a concealed and carry class and there were about 50 people there but I digress. Anyway, IMHO this motorcycle should have been the first version of the Streets. I still like my 2015 and plan on keeping it for a good while.

·
Registered
46 Posts
...Anyway, IMHO this motorcycle should have been the first version of the Streets. I still like my 2015 and plan on keeping it for a good while.
There are many things on this bike that I absolutely love, but it also has a few drawbacks that will put others (like me) onto a regular 750 Street.
1. You can't put saddlebags on it. My old 750 had fender mounting bolts that I could use with the Viking Quick Disconnects. Of course, people who buy this model probably will never use saddlebags, so I guess I'm one of the few...
2. Rear Rack - if no saddlebags, then how about a rear rack so I can use the tail/tunnel bag?
3. the Drag Bars. I loved the seating position on the Original 750, but I changed the bars twice. The first time I tried the drag bars, but I'm a SMURF so the reach wasn't for me, especially on long rides, so I found some solid alloy bars, original for a MX bike, that I really loved. Nice and wide, with just enough pull back so I could sit up straighter.

So, what do I love?
1. Engine changes - much better injection, higher compression, bigger cams, Arr Arr ARR. Tim Allen would love this.
2. Suspension - fore and aft, they did it right.
3. Brakes - Now, it'll stop on a dime and give you a nickel back.
4. Wheels - much better sizes, and now the owner can go for PR4's or other great tires. And both ends are radials.
5. Pipe - sounds more like a TBR now.
6. Seat - don't know how it will be on a road trip, but it looks more comfy.
7. Pegs - Mo Betta'

They got their Urban Warrior, now we need a version for the road. Hint -start with a Street Rod, and mount some pull backs, a little bigger tank, and a rear fender that can mount some bags and a rear carrier. I'll add a Madstad, or Memphis Batwing, and...Ta Da! Mid sized touring bike.

Can't wait to see the next Motorcycle.com shootout with the Suzi, Kawi, and Honda.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Freakin' love it bro. I would be anticipating New Rage Cycles to come out with a fender eliminator LED brake light soon to get rid of that bulky tail section. That's really my only draw back with this bike. Once that is gone you'll have yourself a sleek a** bike my friend. I'm stoked to see Harley appealing to all riders now by branching out with the street models. Change it good. (Depending on who you ask) but it's great for riders like me who want a sportier bike but won't commit to a full street bike. Great for business and attracting a new generation of customers. Congrats on the new bike man and I wish you many, many miles of knees in the breeze. :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Congratulations. Can't wait for the new model to hit our dealership. My query will be on saddle height as short legs are a curse.
According to the published specs, the Street Rod's unladen seat height is about 2.1" higher than the Street 750's. Perhaps more importantly, the seat height "laden" is about 3.7 inches higher on the Street Rod, so -- yeah, that's something each rider is going to have to try for themselves, that does seem like a pretty substantial difference.

Do be aware that seat height isn't everything; seat width is also a major contributing factor. By Motorcycle Ergonomics, I thought I was going to be a perfect fit on a certain touring bike. That bike's seat clocks in even lower than the Street 750's seat height, so what could go wrong? Well, the front of the seat was so wide that I couldn't get my feet down flat at all. I could easily flat-foot the Street, but that touring bike's wide flat saddle pushed my legs out far enough that I had to stand on tiptoes to reach the ground... I don't know how that may affect the Streets; I guess if the Street Rod had an unusually narrow seat, that might help offset some of the higher seat height, but -- the Street 750's seat is pretty narrow, it doesn't seem likely that the Street Rod's would be notably narrower.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like it! All I really want from it is the extra power. But without gearing options, I don't even need the extra power. Be nice to have the extra power and then a smaller rear pulley/ sprocket, so it could be truly relaxed at Interstate speeds.
Other than that I think the street Rod looks really great, and the ground clearaance is amazing. Hoping this bike really makes the sales of all Streets here in the States start to pop.
To the OP, enjoy and stay safe!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. Ordered some new safety gear waiting for it to warm up to get it out some more.

My mirrors were not on the bike when I bought it they shipped separately and I have to pick them up.

Sent from my HTC 10

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I don't know if I could sit on it. Have short legs. I did fit on a Low Rider S. The Harley Rep wouldn't let me take out the Roadster 1200.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I don't know if I could sit on it. Have short legs. I did fit on a Low Rider S. The Harley Rep wouldn't let me take out the Roadster 1200.
The Street Rod's seat height (laden) is nearly three inches higher than the Low Rider S. The Street Rod's seat height is almost exactly the same as the 1200cc Roadster (29.4 vs. 29.5 inches).

·
Registered
490 Posts
Pardon the nasally voice, took a quick video of the Street Rod 750 firing up at the dealership. Notice the Sold sign on it. I sat on this bike two days prior when it was still being prepped. At least I got to hear it run before the buyer (not me) took it home.

https://youtu.be/j2aOKffMPrE

1 - 20 of 40 Posts