Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were discussing this in another post but I wanted to get more opinions on this topic. The Street was meant to gear some of the new motorcycle riders towards picking up the Harley enthusiasm that has made the brand so successful. Would you purchase another Harley down the road? Have you owned a Harley in the past?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have not owned a Harley in the past, I bought this one specifically because after all of my research it seemed to have the best handling, best engine, and good low center of gravity compared to others in the same class. Almost like a cruiser/cafe racer/sport bike all in one without the ugly Power Rangers plastic look of a sport bike. Good ground clearance, good suspension, you can really get on it in corners. It was between HD Street 750, Honda Shadow Phantom, Triumph America or Triumph Bonneville.

With that said...if I wanted a "Harley" I would have bought a Fat Boy. This just happened to be made by Harley. I bought it due to the performance reviews.

My next bike will probably be the INDIAN SCOUT or something from Triumph.

·
Registered
170 Posts
No. I wouldn't even consider another HD. Primarily because of the way they handled the fuel pump issue - and their maintenance of plausible deniability for the last year.

I'd look at a triumph or suzuki.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have never owned a Harley before, so the Street 750 is my first. It may be my first Harley, but it is number 11 in a line of bikes I have owned. Previous bikes I have had range from super quick two-stroke twins, lazy cruisers, adventure on/off road bikes and a sports bikes some chain driven, some shaft driven. Makes ranged from BMW, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki.

My bucket list still had an unchecked box. Own a Harley.

The launch of the Street caught my attention. Here was a Harley, but Harley by badge only. It was so different from the other bikes in the Harley range (discounting the V-Rod as it was physically too big for me) that I took it on a test ride. I was sold after the first mile. Here I will agree with DDK "seemed to have the best handling, best engine, and good low center of gravity compared to others in the same class".

Would I buy another Harley? Definitely not an old fashioned one, but I may consider a successor to the Street in a few years time. For now I will enjoy my Street, as it suits my riding style and will do so for a few more years. I have not had the first service yet, so I may change my mind when I get the bill!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I will buy another. It is a first generation bike that we got so problems are expected. If the fuel pump was such an easy fix I believe they would have done it. I will admit there are dealers out there that don't care about customers but that is life we meet dickheads everywhere. I owned a 1988 883 sportster before this bike so I have had a pre fuel injection harley and now a liquid cooled - fuel injected harley. I wouldn't mind in a few years renting a vrod for a long weekend or if they have a newer model out then and possibly upgrading for longer rides but keeping the street for local trips as it is a great bike that I really enjoy.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My latest previous bike was an 02 SOFTAIL with EFI. It was great but problems with my lower back and extremities caused me to sell it. I thought that I was done riding then I discovered the 750 STREET. It's perfect for me: light, nimble and plenty of power. In spite of the legendary bad attitude of the HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTOR COMPANY*, like Propnut I would consider a successor to the 2015 Street, which I enjoy very much. I would NOT consider an "old fashioned one", as well.

*The fuel pump fiasco is but one example of how they place themselves above the normal market. I've seen several examples of this over the years.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is my third bike, but first Harley. I'm not positive at this point to say I will never buy a Harley again because that's a strong word. I will say that my next bike will not be a Harley, I don't want a big cruiser and I'd wait a few years for the bugs to be worked out on these Streets before getting another.

But I will say I will never buy anything from my specific dealer again. Good thing is, there are several dealers in my area.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would buy a used Harley in the future. I would not buy another fuel injected one. I will upgrade the motor from the 500 to the 750 whenever this one fails and the warranty is gone. But right now I have a Ninja I'm building and after that I'm going back to my 70's Hondas. I won't sell the Street or trade it, even though the thought crossed my mind after having to replace the fuel pump a second and third time. So somewhere down there or if the right deal comes along, I'll be on a larger Harley, but it won't be much factory left when I get done with it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I may buy another harley but not from the dealer I work at again, as for people grumbling about the way the pump problem was handled I think they did their best on a bike that did not sell in large numbers, we recieved 10 to sell when they came out we got 2 more in red , we still have 5 of the first shipment, if these were baggers they would have caught on quicker due to the large numbers of baggers they sell.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am very interested to see if Harley will come out with a successor to the Street that entices me to stick it out with HD. I personally can see myself buying another brand (Triumph, Indian, etc.), and then looking into another Harley when the mindset of the "old school" has become more universally friendly. Certainly dealerships vary drastically, but we will see. The funny thing is that I really like the dealership in San Diego because it is so welcoming and friendly. I'm sure that if the lag and leap problem hadn't arisen, I would be perfectly content with the brand.

·
Registered
766 Posts
.... as for people grumbling about the way the pump problem was handled I think they did their best on a bike that did not sell in large numbers

I respectfully disagree, but I do understand what you mean.

but just because a bike doesn't sell in large numbers it is still their responsibility to sell bikes that are dependable and safe for all!

as per the threads on this forum, it seems like this problem has been around a while. besides the fact these bikes aren't dependable around the time the low fuel light comes on, the way the bike acted by unexpected stalling then launching was indeed a safety issue big time.

for those that filed complaints to the feds and or Harley, finally some one took action to get this problem solved. it did take something to get their attention. don't know for sure if it was us here on this forum, the feds or some one in the big corporate office.

at least it is being attended to finally.

I also think who ever did the testing on these bikes prior to manufacturing failed to do their job in identifying and correcting this problem!

who ever designed the fuel pump assembly also failed to do their job!.....

both or all of these people should be fired, their failures could have gotten some one hurt or worse! IMO

·
Registered
12 Posts
This was not my first bike, but is my first Harley. Yes, I would by another Harley motorcycle. I bought the Street 750 as a commuter bike. Averaging 55 mpg with it so it fills the need. Also I knew going into it there was a 50/50 chance of replacing the fuel pump. I personally I feel they could have made the call much quicker on the fuel pump. I do believe it is a redesigned fuel pump assembly. That is something you just do not do over night along with having enough to service all bikes that need them.

·
Registered
367 Posts
This was not my first bike, but is my first Harley. Yes, I would by another Harley motorcycle. I bought the Street 750 as a commuter bike. Averaging 55 mpg with it so it fills the need. Also I knew going into it there was a 50/50 chance of replacing the fuel pump. I personally I feel they could have made the call much quicker on the fuel pump. I do believe it is a redesigned fuel pump assembly. That is something you just do not do over night along with having enough to service all bikes that need them.
It's not a new fuel pump assembly. They are sending out kits, not fuel pumps. Somewhere a photo was posted and it looks to be a zip tie type piece to hold it in the body. Complete joke, but we'll see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
766 Posts
It's not a new fuel pump assembly. They are sending out kits, not fuel pumps. Somewhere a photo was posted and it looks to be a zip tie type piece to hold it in the body. Complete junk, but we'll see how long it lasts.
man, I sure hope it's a better fix than that.

why am I not surprised though.

funny how it takes weeks to ship a zip tie to the dealers if this is the case. what really concerns me is this is called a kit?

....does a tech really need instructions to install a zip tie :laugh:

hopefully some one will chime in on the actual kit for the recall fix and what it all has in it.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I am getting Confused. The letter from NTSB to HD indicated it was a Fuel Pump being replaced. But your saying its a "Zip Tie" and some Hardware?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I found the other photo again that Oandy (a Harley tech and Street owner) posted. Best case scenario is the kit has the same version of the pump that is failing with a band/strap to help hold the inlet in place. Not a revised pump that doesn't fail, same crap with a little duct tape on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
"same crap with a little duct tape on it."

So I'll refer to my previous question in this thread : "I wonder what they are doing with the 2016 STREETs ?" If the "kit" is all they are doing on the new ones and if it fails they will, obviously, be back into the same mess. On the-other-hand if the 2016 models are being fitted with a new 'fool proof' pump [we] should be entitled to exactly the same. Should we not?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts