Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be a good idea for people to list here any problems they've had with their street 500 / 750 . Also, talk about what your mechanic / dealership says and how to prob;em was resolved. Perhaps if we see patterns with issues it might help us with problems figure stuff out for ourselves or help the mechanic get stuff done a bit faster.

I've just had mine taken away and i thought it was the fuel pump but harley thinks it's a problem with the fan. I can post the details once i get it back tomorrow.

Just an idea, feel free to delete if there's already something like this out there.

·
Registered
147 Posts
For me, it's too negative....i'd rather concentrate on the positive sides of my bike.

Understand (sort of) what you want to do, but there are specific posts here, Mirrors, Lag and Leap to name a couple....i'd personally prefer that is where we discuss "issues"

But that is just my view

....enjoy the Street !!!

Ray

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think some of these issues may have been corrected with the 2016 models, but:

Stock mirrors are not positioned widely enough to allow for rear view.

Breaks are sub-par for a modern bike. Serious lack of power and feedback.

Not really bike-related, but a general disdain towards the model from many dealers, from the sales floor to the parts counter. HD builds a modern bike with what could be an actual performance engine, and the dealers don't seem to care and a year in there is a serious lack of internal modification support. Look at the other bikes, which have options for different tanks, different riding positions, etc. ****, I'd just like to see an option for larger wheels.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Mirrors should be a warranty replacement item.

Seems like a bad safety issue when you can't see directly behind you. Left and right lane views are fine, just cant see $H1T right behind you.

Otherwise, its a great bike

Reactions: Propnut and Rock270

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
"Not really bike-related, but a general disdain towards the model from many dealers, from the sales floor to the parts counter. HD builds a modern bike with what could be an actual performance engine, and the dealers don't seem to care and a year in there is a serious lack of internal modification support. Look at the other bikes, which have options for different tanks, different riding positions, etc."

This is not all that surprising, the VRods were (and sometimes still are) not well accepted when they were introduced & that was nearly 15 years ago.
There are even some narrow minded people who refer to mid 80s Evo engines as "modern crap". It might take a few years before the range of accessories from HD are as vast as what you can get for a Vrod.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I think some of these issues may have been corrected with the 2016 models, but:

Stock mirrors are not positioned widely enough to allow for rear view.

Breaks are sub-par for a modern bike. Serious lack of power and feedback.

Not really bike-related, but a general disdain towards the model from many dealers, from the sales floor to the parts counter. HD builds a modern bike with what could be an actual performance engine, and the dealers don't seem to care and a year in there is a serious lack of internal modification support. Look at the other bikes, which have options for different tanks, different riding positions, etc. ****, I'd just like to see an option for larger wheels.

same here...mostly agree!....I'm ok with the engine power and gas tank though.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Apart from the stock mirror issue, I have been very happy with my 750. My replacement mirrors work like a charm, and the bike runs on the smell of an oil rag. I have not yet experienced a moment with the brakes that have caused me concern. And, yes, I have had to once stop real quick, to beat the camera at the red light, that was on the point of flashing.

Overall I ride within my limits, and do get an adrenaline rush when the red mist descends, but my new blood pressure tablets are starting to keep that under control.

·
Registered
766 Posts
"Not really bike-related, but a general disdain towards the model from many dealers, from the sales floor to the parts counter. HD builds a modern bike with what could be an actual performance engine, and the dealers don't seem to care and a year in there is a serious lack of internal modification support. Look at the other bikes, which have options for different tanks, different riding positions, etc."

This is not all that surprising, the VRods were (and sometimes still are) not well accepted when they were introduced & that was nearly 15 years ago.
There are even some narrow minded people who refer to mid 80s Evo engines as "modern crap". It might take a few years before the range of accessories from HD are as vast as what you can get for a Vrod.

your dealer sounds like our dealer :laugh:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the lag and leap issue but the dealer in Corpus Christi took care of it under recall. Completely eliminated the issue. There is supposed to be a reflector on the rear of the bike, also a recall, but they didn't have it in stock.
I definitely agree with the mirror issue and not just any other mirrors will fit. In fact, it seems like Harley went out of their way to make sure the Street isn't compatible with much of anything. This has been very frustrating.
Lastly, I think that the disdain toward the model by "hardcore" Harley riders comes in part thanks to HD's declaration that the bike is designed for new riders. I wouldn't be surprised to find that sales have been hindered by this.
Overall I really like the bike. It's super fun to ride and I get compliments on it wherever I go.

·
Registered
309 Posts
@ The Evil Dead,

"I think that the disdain toward the model by "hardcore" Harley riders comes in part thanks to HD's declaration that the bike is designed for new riders. I wouldn't be surprised to find that sales have been hindered by this."

I couldn't agree with you more. It should have been something like: A bike suitable for new riders and experienced riders alike. While the STREETs are great urban rides I find my 750 to be no "slouch" on the open highway, as well!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Haven't had any issues other than riding it into a curb a couple months back and trying to track down a new lower fork tube. Having said that, HD is not allowed to touch any of my bikes. Period.

Haven't heard of any issues from the 2 other 750's and the 500's that were sold in town.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lag and leap was taken care of with recall. As well as the reflector issue. I have a bent fork tube, but that's because I threw my bike off the side of the Ozarks at a high rate of speed. Still waiting for the clam to clear.

My valves are clicking at 13k miles. the service manual calls for annual adjustment at 15k, so I might do it myself a little early. I had speed wobble at 85+ mph, but it wasn't consistent and it could be from either A: the fork tube, or B: the fact I need a new front tire. I put a taller bias ply on the rear because I couldn't justify dropping 250 on a Scorcher for just the HD stamp, even though those tires are fantastic and hug really well.

For everybody griping about the front brake, I'll admit I'd like to stop quicker, but I need a stiffer fork because I skid the back too easy. I'd like to be able to really get on the front brake without sliding the rear around so much. It happens too easily. Someone mentioned Galfer Green pads, and I might try braided lines to see if that helps improve stopping power.

I put a set of aftermarket bar end mirrors on that look like Bonneville mirrors, no more issues seeing things behind and to the sides of me.

I've also developed a seep at both the head gasket and the coolant hose that goes into the block. Easily remedied when I do the valves and a new hose clamp/a little grease.

·
Registered
155 Posts
@ The Evil Dead,

"I think that the disdain toward the model by "hardcore" Harley riders comes in part thanks to HD's declaration that the bike is designed for new riders. I wouldn't be surprised to find that sales have been hindered by this."

I couldn't agree with you more. It should have been something like: A bike suitable for new riders and experienced riders alike. While the STREETs are great urban rides I find my 750 to be no "slouch" on the open highway, as well!
HD has been awful in promoting this bike. As far as they are concerned, if it's not a CVO Ultra Classic bagger at 800+ pounds, it's a started bike. This is the first modern bike they've had in over a decade, and the engine belongs in a sport bike frame, not the quasi-cruiser set up they've got it in now. Honestly, if I could take that mill and stuff it in something like a Triumph or old XS650 frame, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I get the feeling that someone was really trying to do a cafe bike to compete with the Bonneville and V7, got halfway done, and someone at HQ said "hmmm...I don't get it. Why would anyone want a bike that's not a cruiser anyway?"

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 750, the transmission is bad. It downshifts fine, the upshifts are lousy. It is hard to get into sixth gear. I almost have to double clutch it to get it into the next gear.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Recall fixed the lag and leap, currently have a hi rpm code being thrown , think I wilk d/c the fp3 and see if it goes away otherwise the iac may be going out, as for the brakes they are good just not as sensitive as some would like-the 16 are way better, now since I work at a hd as a tech I can say the vrod suffers the same as our bikes-reliable and unloved because its water cooled and reliable btw the vrod puts out 125hp, my 750 will stomp most sportsters baggers and softtails-because it has a fp3 and power to weight ratio as it is 100 lbs lighter than the 883, now it is up to us to make ir have made our own stuff for this bike, remember it is mostly a metric bike and is easily modifiable fir a lot of those parts.! A lil food for thought.I have extenders on my mirrors and use the cop mirrors off the flhp to see with.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The only issues I have had with my bike are the lag & leap and the mirrors. (OK I would like the better breaks and break peddle set up.) But at least they fixed this in 16.

The lag and leap was finally fixed with the recall at least so far. The mirrors were a cheap fix. I got both the long stem mirrors and the extenders to get the perfect adjustability.

The engine on this thing just seams to keep running better and better.

While having the lag & leap issue I was lusting after an Indian Scout. I would have bought one if they would have given me a decent trade on my Street. After reading about all the problems they have with them on their forum I am glad I kept the Street.

Don't get me wrong I still think the Scout is a **** of a bike and like a lot of things about it. If they get a few of the issues fixed I would and will buy one. But for now I am going to keep on enjoying my 750.

mgg

·
Registered
309 Posts
@MGG,

"While having the lag & leap issue I was lusting after an Indian Scout. I would have bought one if they would have given me a decent trade on my Street. After reading about all the problems they have with them on their forum I am glad I kept the Street."

What "problems" have you heard about? I was thinking that I might want one, as well.

THANKS,

JMB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello perhaps you missed it .
Yesterday I posted about the bolt hold my drive pulley shearing .
Resulting in a snapped belt and melted belt guard caseings and damaged drive shaft .
After only 1000kms.
The dealer has been pretty good and the repair is to be covered by warranty .
I'm not feeling to happy about my new purchase.
Has anybody else had a major problem like this ??

1 - 20 of 121 Posts