Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not a good week for my "Red". Riding the other day and a piece of the headlight cowl were it connects broke off. Went to go riding yesterday and did my usual walk around and seen some burnt wires under and behind the fuel tank, thinking it may be the tender connector fell down...anyways calling HD after work to get some warranty work done.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well the list just keeps on getting bigger......So now they got the Stator and Regulator replaced but i still dont get my bike back.....Why? you may ask.....yeah they cracked the FRAME while installing the Stator. I have no idea how they cracked it, where its cracked at, just that it's cracked and they ordered a new frame to be over nighted to them. So now they are going to completely strip my bike and rebuild it onto the new frame. Not really installing much confidence that it will go smoothly from the other issues I have had with screws not being tightened correctly and all. So here to hoping I get it back sometime soon, and that it got put back together correctly and it don't end up killing me. I am planing on asking to see the cracked frame when I go to pick the bike up.

fun stuff

·
Registered
309 Posts
"they cracked the FRAME while installing the Stator"

Well, that doesn't say much for the frame, does it? What happens when you lay one down?

·
Registered
367 Posts
My bike has been down twice. Once due to the lag and leap issue in the rain, a second when my roommate tried to back through it. I've also been hit by a woman blowing a red light, though I managed to keep her up right. There are zero signs of any damage or stress to the frame. Oh, then there's also the curb I jumped to avoid being hit that was hard enough to bend my wheel.

I too would demand to see the damage. They could never pass government testing with a frame that could crack so easily.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well the list just keeps on getting bigger......So now they got the Stator and Regulator replaced but i still dont get my bike back.....Why? you may ask.....yeah they cracked the FRAME while installing the Stator. I have no idea how they cracked it, where its cracked at, just that it's cracked and they ordered a new frame to be over nighted to them. So now they are going to completely strip my bike and rebuild it onto the new frame. Not really installing much confidence that it will go smoothly from the other issues I have had with screws not being tightened correctly and all. So here to hoping I get it back sometime soon, and that it got put back together correctly and it don't end up killing me. I am planing on asking to see the cracked frame when I go to pick the bike up.

fun stuff

So I have a little bit more info on what happened and why I have been without my 750 going on three weeks now. The issue was with the plate / tab the Regulator mounts to. When getting replaced, there was a faulty weld, and the plate / tab broke off. which had it not been a warranty job, would have been an easy fix. (grind off old weld, weld plate back on in same spot.) but since the work they were performing was warranty, do it the correct way, and replace any broken parts. which is why its been almost three weeks. The dealership where my bike is at are pretty good at keeping me in the loop, and so far the loop only consists of "Nope, frame did not get here today"

Now it comes down to, do I keep the 750 after its been taken down to the frame and rebuilt, by mechanics that have not done it to a 750 before. Or, should I trust that it was built correctly and keep it, and put my life on the line. Or trade it in on a used Street Glide, that is close in price (living on a budget, can't pay much more a month)

hhmm....

·
Registered
504 Posts
Who knows ............. they might build it better than the factory

Reactions: 750STREETRIDER

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lag and leap, reflectors fixed on recall. Less than 1k on my 750, and it was leaking oil on the front head. Took it to the dealer, for the warranty work, a month in they couldn't fix it. Apparently there is a pair of one time use bolts that were back ordered. They finally get the bike back together, and it's still leaking. I take it back in, the head was warped. Another month waiting on these one time use bolts. Got it back just in time for the Colorado winter. I'm really missing Hawaii right now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just remember it is a motorcycle and your techs will put it back together better than new.they have done it before, just different models. Jonberg and rock you two need to sell your bikes and change your tampons!, some of the problems you quote wrre isolated incidents or not really a safety issue, did you know real bikers dont care about mirrors?, they trust turning their heads and looking behind them!, brakes are ok not a safety issue , I have had a few close calls with cars being idiots and only locked my brakes up a couple times I brake more carefully and pay better attention. Woodruff key issue was a handful of bikes being assembled wrong, as for loctite shouldnt stop bolts from being removed-what? Red loctite which has been over used at the factory on the fender bolts is designed not to be removed., high vibration .someone used more than a drop or two and caused those bolts to seize up the entire length of thread.,

The reason dealers dont care about our bikes is low to no profit in them they nake $100-$200 profit on each one and since stealers are greedy and everyone is on commission the streets get ignored sane as the v rod.

·
Registered
309 Posts
@oandy,

"Jonberg and rock you two need to sell your bikes and change your tampons!"

What in the World do you mean ? I don't know of anyone more supportive of STREETS than Rock and I. We, however, may have had more bikes and experience than you and have certain expectations that [you] can't understand. Further, I would advise that you learn to spell if you want your ad hominem attack to impress anyone; which if anyone with, at least, a room temperature IQ would ignore.

To the Administrator of this site: My comment is only meant to express my objection to a very negative and uncalled for rant by someone , obviously, not quite all together at the time. I appreciate what you guys have done, continue to do and invite you to review my entire history of comments.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK MY FRIENDS!

·
Registered
156 Posts
My personal experience...

No problems with my bike, ever (well, except for a self inflicted one). No problems with fuel pump, though I did the recall. Bike runs better now. Back brakes need a little more extension, but I've gotten used to it and I figure it's probably a good thing, i.e. I won't lock them up.

The guys at the dealership have been great! They've made it clear that I'm the test case for the Street, as they've sold only 1 or 2. They are honest about all work done and the fact that it may take longer since I'm the first they've seen. They spend time with me discussing mods too.

I love getting on here every day and hearing from others. Some have many years of riding, some are HD techs. I read them all and learn from both the good and bad posts. The Internet is full of experts, I choose which to listen to. I've had some great advise on here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I do have an oil leak problem but looks like the oil is leaking from the part where the gear shifter is attached to the crankcase. pardon my noobness but I am not sure what it is called.

The flow is not much, a couple of drops at max overnight.

Taking to the center over the weekend. Can anybody confirm if this will be covered in warranty or not?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well it's all fixed. I got my bike back, and have put on 200+ miles since. I am posting now to upload this pic of the frame. And where it was broke. I was told that the reason it took 3.5 weeks to get my bike back, was they had to make a new frame for my bike, with matching VIN. So the frame is less than two weeks old. was a chunk of scrap metal a month ago. They had to make it, then wait for the powder coat to dry prior to shipping it to the dealer where it got rebuilt. And now the dealer has to chop off the head tube and down tubes on the old frame and ship them to Harley so they can be disposed of.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I will add what my wife has dealt with on her street 2016 750
So far been ok
Coolant hose loose when new
Puked coolant all out at 300 miles
They did pick it up and return it
of course no charge
The mirrors are awful (it is a safety concern)
So far thats it.....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just started having an issue with my bike. Have just over 600 miles and bike has backfired in the intake twice. Going to be going to the dealer soon before my engine blows

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
@James811,

"Going to be going to the dealer soon before my engine blows"

I assume that you aren't referring to the 'Lag and Leap' fuel pump issue. Please let us know what the dealer says.

Thanks,

JMB

·
Registered
104 Posts
@James811,

"Going to be going to the dealer soon before my engine blows"

I assume that you aren't referring to the 'Lag and Leap' fuel pump issue. Please let us know what the dealer says.

Thanks,

JMB
Not only that but it is actually backfiring in the intake meaning fuel is getting into areas it shouldn't be.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had my front drive pull bolt snap clean in half too after 2000km I was in the middle of nowhere but had road side. hd fixed it but still only with parts of a new bike. so im guessing it could happen again.
Just rang Harley they logged it etc

61 - 80 of 114 Posts