Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I cut and welded a 3 inch extension in my mirrors to fix that. I just this morning had the bolt for the drive pulley loosen when I down shifted and stripped the splines on the inside of the gear. I had a guy at work come meet me with some tools so I could tighten the bolt to get to work. Now I'm waiting for a call back from the dealership to see if warranty will replace the stripped gear, if not I plan on lock tighting the bolt and tightening it real good and see how far it will go. I have a 2015 with about 650 miles on it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lag and leapQUOTE]

What do you mean by this? I notice that throttle control is not very smooth. Sometimes this is very bothersome when I'm trying to manipulate the bike in my carport; I have almost run into things because the throttle hesitated in response and made the bike leap forward. Is this what you mean by lag and leap? If it is what do you mean when you say warranty takes care of this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Johnny boy

Yeah I have the same problem 2015 xg 500
Bolt broke caused all kinds of damage.. in the shop right now was told its gonna take anywheres from 4 to 8 weeks for repair.
Sounds like this should be a recall and replace the bolt with a stronger one. grrr

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rear master cyl. Went bad about 2 months out of warranty.
Ended up replacing all back brake components to 2016 parts.
Otherwise it has @8k miles on it more or less trouble free, except for annoyances like the mirrors - an easy and cheap fix.
At least it has nice rear shocks, unlike any other bike I could reach the ground on.
On my other bikes, Progressive was getting altogether way too much of my money. How sweet to nor have trio replace the shocks and/or lower the bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ON my Street-Rod my only grievance was the seat and right peg and pipe placement. I raised the seat and the bars and modified the exhaust and added an M4 Slip on. The bike is soooo much better to ride now. I was in pain after 20 miles on the stock seat and pipes... Much more comfy now!

I say it looks pretty decent now too... Little more frame is exposed under the seat but still looks great!

Reactions: zacgil and CorkyF

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clutch adjust

Seems the Street 750 needs about 4000 miles before the clutch will work smoothly on many bikes. this is a quiet problem affecting many bikes. My bike is on its 3rd clutch and another bike is being repaired alongside.
No definitive solution from Harley yet...

·
Registered
22 Posts
FWIW - The stock mirrors are still a huge issue with the 2017 model. I have owned my XG750 for about a month now and one of the first items to be replaced was the %$#^ mirrors. I just went with long stems that bring the mirror up and out just enough to see things other than my own arms!!

I have had an issue with getting the bike into neutral from 1st and occasionally from 2nd down. I'm big on watching the gear indicator to make sure, but it too did not light up consistently to tell what gear I was in. HD Service tried to tell me (and hubby) that it just needed to "break in". But hubby explained that he has been riding motorcycles for over 40 years and never had one do this and that it was a defect and needed to be fixed. The shop replaced the switch that the indicator pulled from and that only fixed the display issue. I still have to work at getting into neutral from first. I'll bring it up again after the first 500 miles if it's still an issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mirrors should be a warranty replacement item.

Seems like a bad safety issue when you can't see directly behind you. Left and right lane views are fine, just cant see $H1T right behind you.

Otherwise, its a great bike

are you supposed to see stuff behind you? i had two bikes and could not achieve that on any of them (Yamaha R15, and scooter (i know, not a bike))

·
Registered
335 Posts
are you supposed to see stuff behind you? i had two bikes and could not achieve that on any of them (Yamaha R15, and scooter (i know, not a bike))
Yes, definitely. With my current setup, I can see the lane directly behind me, and the lane next to it on each side (so at least three lanes total) - in *each* mirror. You don't need bar-end mirrors, just get the Harley long-stem mirrors and the Krator mirror extensions. Far and away the best modification you can make to a Street.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1200 miles on mine. My clutch is grabby. The friction zone has turned into the pucker factor. I think it may be more from the MAP over compensating trying to keep the idle speed up. I consider the lifters to be excessively noisy, local yokel dealership does not. Back brake is nearly useless. First thing I did was change the mirrors. Other than that, its been a solid bike...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had an issue with getting the bike into neutral from 1st and occasionally from 2nd down. I'm big on watching the gear indicator to make sure, but it too did not light up consistently to tell what gear I was in. HD Service tried to tell me (and hubby) that it just needed to "break in". But hubby explained that he has been riding motorcycles for over 40 years and never had one do this and that it was a defect and needed to be fixed. The shop replaced the switch that the indicator pulled from and that only fixed the display issue. I still have to work at getting into neutral from first. I'll bring it up again after the first 500 miles if it's still an issue.
I also had trouble getting into neutral before the first oil change, but I did it myself at 1000 miles with Amsoil and a K&N filter, and shifting is now smoother, and neutral is easier to find. What I do notice is that in some cases the transmission is actually in neutral but the green "N" light does not go on until a few seconds later, or not at all at times.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also had trouble getting into neutral before the first oil change, but I did it myself at 1000 miles with Amsoil and a K&N filter, and shifting is now smoother, and neutral is easier to find. What I do notice is that in some cases the transmission is actually in neutral but the green "N" light does not go on until a few seconds later, or not at all at times.
amsol how many liters? HD 8000kms service its 400 dollars and they only replace oil .
I might just do it myself

·
Registered
28 Posts
I put in 3 quarts of Amsoil but I still have to get the rest of the checklist done for the first service. This is when they check everything on the bike to make sure there were no loose parts or problems during manufacturing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
No problems at all, yeah the mirrors but I never trust on mirrors since I turn my head always!
Finding neutral is not only a Street issue, my Triumph Speedmaster was also difficult to find and so was my BMW F650.
Brakes are good with the ABS system and trust the bike as is.
If there is a safety issue involved the EU orders immediate action.
Got a Honda NSS300 brand new 2,5 years ago and had to go back twice for a recall, somebody's starter relais got on fire and a fuel pump stopped during ride, both issues were fixed by the dealer within a week.
So don't know how it is in the US and Canada but here in the Netherlands those kind of things are taken very seriously.
If HD screws up it can cost them seriously money and I don't think a well respected brand as Harley Davidson will take this risk for a $0.50 bold.

·
Registered
75 Posts
aint had too much trouble itsa 2015 500 , stretched the brake pedal next project is the dam kickstand 762 miles on it , fouled plugs at 525 miles dealer fixed it still under warranty probably from lettin it idle too much sittin still im tryin ta break it in real easy yeah dam kickstand let me down for the last time ill get that bugger

·
Registered
177 Posts
Let's see what kind of problems I've had my 750. I made a list of things that people complain about most on the streets

1 brakes: mine work. I think the brake pedal could be a little higher up, but is still works fine, the bike stops when I want it to.
2 mirrors: I had new ones as part of the package. The new ones work fine, could be a little better though.
3 muffler; I've read a lot of complaints on what a wimpy sounding bike it is. That's what they make aftermarket mufflers for. Even the salesman thought it sounded nice with my new muffler, and it does.
4 neutral: haven't had any more problems than I have with any other bike. Sometimes I have to make a couple three stabs at it, but no biggie.
5 fuel pump: the infamous lag and leap was corrected in the recall before I purchased my bike. Haven't had a problem since.
6 dealers: I have read some complaints that some dealers have a general disdain toward the street models. Probably because they sell for a fraction of the price of a dresser. The dealer I bought mine from (Apols in Raymond Minnesota) has been fantastic. True, their accessories are way overpriced but that has nothing to do with the dealer, all Harley-Davidson accessories are overpriced. That's what they have open houses, and Sales for so I can buy stuff thats somewhat overpriced rather than ridiculously overpriced. :)
7 miscellaneous: as with any mass-produced item its not perfect. That's why they sell aftermarket parts. Seat ain't exactly to your liking...... several aftermarket varieties are available. Bike seems a little cramped..... Crash bars and highway pegs do wonders. Lack of gauges.......an FP3 takes care of that.
So far I just love my Street. I put on new hard bags, an fp3, aftermarket muffler, new grips, mirrors, and all kinds of little geegaws that struck my fancy and guess what, it's still a fraction of the price of a full dresser. I do wish though that it had a bigger fuel tank some kind of fuel gauge, but its still doable. Any of the problems that I've had have all been minor. I did have one buzz killer today when I took it over to get it serviced but I'll mention that in another post. Until then I'm going to go ride my bike :).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seems the Street 750 needs about 4000 miles before the clutch will work smoothly on many bikes. this is a quiet problem affecting many bikes. My bike is on its 3rd clutch and another bike is being repaired alongside.
No definitive solution from Harley yet...

Kevt, Could you elaborate a bit? Wife's '16 with 1400 mi on it seems to have burned the clutch (not sure exactly what is wrong as dealer hasn't called me with a diagnosis)
Was it covered under warranty?
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
2017 Street 750, just passed 700 miles, bike developed a horrible loud tapping noise from the engine. Took it to the dealer this morning, mechanic listened to it, said 'top end, cams, book it in' now booked in for the 02/08/18 and I'm bike-less until then.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It is my understanding that the street 500 and 750 are just low end Harley bikes with the intention for you to get the feel and flavor so you get motivated to get a bigger - other model Haley. It's like switch and bait. That explains why there are not that many after market accessories available. Look at the mirror issue and the exposed wiring. Those are easy fixes, but in my opinion HD rather puts emphasis on other bigger and more expensive models. I happen to enjoy my bike, and wanted to buy an American made product. Oops that will soon be over also...

81 - 100 of 114 Posts