Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a used 2015 XG750 with 2300 miles last December. To pass the state inspection, I had to replace the headlight bulb, both brake light switches, and a turn signal assembly. No big deal, it wasn't much money, but still a bit premature to have so many failures. Two weeks ago, I noticed some binding in the steering, which turned out to be rust in the steering head bearings. While taking it apart, I found a rough front wheel bearing. Once again, not a whole lot of money to replace these parts, but it's out of warranty with less than 2400 miles on it.It concerns me that such important parts are failing on such a new bike with hardly any miles on it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well I have been reading issues on this forum for a few weeks and have not long picked up a 2018 Street.

She has a tacho and gear indicator and the brakes seem to work fine for me. The mirrors when I picked her up, were not set properly - I asked how much for mirror extensions and I nearly died when they told me, also they were only available in chrome. I took the mirrors off then repositioned them as near to the grips as possible and with a little minor adjustment I can now see what is behind me, not directly behind me but enough to let me see anyone brave enough to come close.

Finding neutral is sometimes hard when she is cold but once warmed up I can usually click into it without much problem, When stationary I tend to leave her in first anyway as I had a problem with a previous bike that rolled on the side stand in neutral.

The bike was fitted with a battery tender wire. It did not fit my optimate charger but an additional lead (£9) sorted that out a treat.

The bike has ample power in all gears and has topped the magical 100 mph so it 'does what is says on the tin' for me anyway.

I went out yesterday with my son who has a Honda CBR600rr and on the twisty roads around the Severn Valley she certainly did not embarrass herself.

I will get it dealer serviced for 2 x years to maintain the warranty - just in case, but am trying to locate a Workshop Manual for the 2018 model so that I will be able to work on her myself after that.

Overall I am completely happy with my purchase, no doubt there will be issues arise but I will greet them as they turn up.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Leg rides on air cleaner if you move it your foot rides on exhaust so i am looking to put a pad on exhaust
my ass gets numb on long rides

·
Registered
10 Posts
Only issue I've had with my 2018 Street has been with the speedometer... It loses power, as if it were unplugged. Needle stays at the last speed displayed, backlight goes out, LCD display goes out. Then it comes back on later, with a check engine light. I have an appointment at the dealer for a warranty repair for the speedo, they tell me it happens sometimes on the streets. The speedometer itself can apparently be defective.

Reading this thread, I'm going to look into the drive sprocket bolt that was mentioned. There's no reason I can't put a new grade 8 bolt in it. Does anyone know the size off the top of their heads?

The mirrors do suck. I've ordered a set of bar end mirrors from amazon.

The preload on the rear shocks was set to "pixie" when they need to be set to "fatass", the dealer has an adjuster coming for the exorbitant price of $4.95. If they hadn't been able to get me one, I'd have cut one out on the laser at work, like I did for my Intruder years ago.

The exhaust is quiet. I'm liking that.

I've only put about 900 miles on it in the couple of weeks I've had it. I'm hoping to see how far it will go.

The dealer didn't have the slightest bit of disdain for someone buying a street 500. They were happy to sell it to me. When I asked, they said they have no use for a salesman who doesn't want to sell someone a bike they asked for.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Reading this thread, I'm going to look into the drive sprocket bolt that was mentioned. There's no reason I can't put a new grade 8 bolt in it. Does anyone know the size off the top of their heads?
The pulley bolt is M12. You'll either need Harley's pulley locking tool or an impact wrench to get it undone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The pulley bolt is M12. You'll either need Harley's pulley locking tool or an impact wrench to get it undone.

I have an impact wrench... I'm guessing the pulley won't come rocketing off if I remove the bolt, correct? I can remove the bolt, add a grade 10.9 bolt with a dab of blue loctite, all without releasing tension on the belt?

A pulley locking tool sounds like a good thing to have, though. Something else to add to the pile of random motorcycle tools I've made. :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
That's right, the belt tension will keep the pulley in place, so as you say old bolt out, loctite new one in, no need to touch the belt tension.

I would be interested to know how much the pulley locking tool costs if you buy it. I can't decide whether it will cost an arm and a leg , or an arm and two legs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I probably won't buy the pulley locking tool, to be honest. I work in a metal fabrication shop, and have access to some really great tools, to include a plate laser (cuts 2-d shapes from material up to 7/8" thick) and a couple of tube lasers, one of which can cut in 3 dimensions. I can make a pulley holding tool quite easily, the only thing that would stop me would be if it were reasonably priced. (which is why I'm not making a preload adjuster)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have completed 4 years of ownership (23000 kms). I have faced below issues
- Head leak - a very small leak. Was fixed under warranty by replacing head bolt
- Coolant leak - Coolant hose spanned off and entire coolant leaked. Used the RSA to take it to dealer. Fixed under warranty
- Upshifts are not seamless - This has gotten better over time but still it is far from perfect.
- Lag and Leap - Fuel pump was replaced under warranty since mine was from the batch though I didn't face this problem
- Poor brakes - fixed this using better pads, better tyres, braided lines
- Mirrors are useless.

·
Registered
9 Posts
issues with street 750

My bike had the following issues: it is a 2015 with 23800 miles on it now.

1. Fuel pump recall -fixed

2. output shaft bolt has now sheared off- dealer and factory refuse to fix ,claim it isnt a issue.

3. brake light has failed- havent troubleshot this one yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Canadian here with a 2017 xg500 model, main issues ive had would be oil leaks, common for Harleys, lack of power for what it is, shitty mirrors, shitty horn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
issues with street 750

My bike had the following issues: it is a 2015 with 23800 miles on it now.

1. Fuel pump recall -fixed

2. output shaft bolt has now sheared off- dealer and factory refuse to fix ,claim it isnt a issue.

3. brake light has failed- havent troubleshot this one yet.
I also have a 2015 xg500 with just 5,000 miles on it and the same thing happened to me. The output shaft bolt sheared off and now the bike isn't worth fixing. Sitting right next to it in the Harley repair shop was a 2017 750 with the exact same problem. Harley repair shop told me if I wanted to replace the engine would be 17 hours of labor plus parts - $3,800. I don't think it's as uncommon as they are telling saying it is - sounds like a known issue that they are trying to say doesn't exist. A well-maintained bike with just 5,000 gentle miles on it shouldn't implode. What did you end of doing with yours?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I bought a 2015 xg500 November 2018 from the dealership. Considered new bc it had never been titled (was used for their riding classes) only had 1100mi.
I didn't get to ride at all in 2019. This spring I first rode it to work (not even 5 mi) on my way home it choked out anytime I had a slight hill/incline and wouldn't even stay idle. (Never mind that she's a complete pain in the ass to get in neutral!) Long story short, I parked it overnight till a friend could come the next morning to help me out. He rode it back to my house but I could see he was struggling at times, once home he said "she's kinda a bitch" (maybe he validated when I said that).

Now, going through my paperwork I'm seeing that the buyer's guide wasn't totally complete in areas. No info about warranty, or lack there of, they never disclosed that there even was a recall let alone if the issue was fixed.
So I began looking into the issue myself bc I'm lucky enough to have bought it from the Janesville, WI dealership that was closed overnight due to the owners getting sued for fraud by HD. I've been trying to figure out who to call or contact since my contacts are that dealer. How do I find out if the recall issue still needs to be fixed or not? Will my issue even be resolved with the recall replacement or is this a totally different problem?

Now of course I'm seeing this forum (I thought I was getting such a good deal I barely did any research before purchasing it) and all the concerns, other issues with this bike that as a new-ish rider, I'm kinda nervous about keeping it.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
64 Posts
I would suggest to contact your nearest HD dealer. With your vin number they can pull all the info up regarding your bike. Keep us up to date on what you find out.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts