Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i plan on getting a 500 in around a month or two. I've already been into the dealership and of course they're trying to get me to 'get this headlight', ' fit this exhaust, but get a tune with it' blah blah.

As a bit of a newbie. Do i say yes, or are there garages and custom joints i can go to and get the work done cheaper?

I assume harley mechanics will charge way more to fit stuff too.

Thanks

·
Registered
486 Posts
If this is your first bike, then I would take it out of the shop stack standard, except for fitting a decent pair of mirrors, that allow you to view traffic behind you. After you have built up confidence in your riding and you are happy with the bike and have a clear picture of what YOU want to change, feel free to go ahead.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I would address this from a couple of perspectives.

First and foremost is it something you know you want? If you don't want it then don't buy it.
Next is the money. Often a dealer will install something with no labor charges to sell the motorcycle. If you want it and can get it installed up front with no labor charges then go for it. You can also address it as a "cash or finance" issue. If the work is done before you buy it the costs can be rolled into the purchase price and financed. If not then it becomes a cash purchase.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely things i want.

Vance & Hines exhaust. I've been quoted for $1700 (AUD) Including tuning
Daymaker LED Headlamps - Gloss Black $600 (AUD)

These also include the labour costs.

There's a few other things i'd like but those will be purchases over time.

·
Registered
766 Posts
personally, I'd get the 750....the power and torque improvement is noticeable....but to each his own, right?

I bought the firebrand loose cannon muffler with the db killer baffle.
it's a lot less cost than the V&H, plus I think it looks better. I don't care for the triangular look of the V&H, but again...to each his own.

when ever you make your purchase, I'd insist they put on the long stem mirrors on it as part of the deal!... the short mirrors are unsafe!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im a learner so i have to get the 500. I'll go back into the dealership and request some free upgrades haha.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Buy it, ride it , get off your learners then buy bigger - don't put any money into a bike you WILL sell once your off your learners

Spend the money on extra protective gear

·
Registered
147 Posts
What are the local regulations for getting a bike license in NZ/AUS. Reading some of the threads it looks like you have to go through stages before you have an "open" license.
It's a pain in the arse

Learners permit for 12 months, or 6 if you take a course

Then restricted for 18 months, or 12 if you take a course

you are restricted to power to weight ratio bikes, no more than 150kw per tonne, max 660 cc

You cannot modify the bike that affect output

The joke is the Hyosung 650 is approved , has 50HP and weighs 200kg

My street 500 has less than 30hp , weighs 225kg and I can't legally put on a nice pipe that adds .6hp but makes it safer and louder

Go figure

Ray

·
Registered
486 Posts
Do I need a learner's license or bike license to purchase a scooter or bike?No, we just need a copy of your I.D. to purchase a scooter or bike, but it is your responsibility to comply with the rules of the road.Can I ride a motor bike or scooter with a car drivers license?Afraid not. It's common in some EU countries to allow people to ride motor bikes with a capacity up to 125cc with a drivers license, but not in South Africa. In S.A. you need a motorcycle license or a motorcycle learners license. The motorcycle learners license is easy to pass (it is a simple multiple-choice paper) and we have a great training facility which will virtually guarantee that you pass. (note that you are not allowed to carry a passenger until you have your full motorcycle license).I am 16, can I ride a bike or scooter?Yes. If you are 16 and over you can ride a bike or scooter with a capacity up to 125cc as long as you pass your motorcycle learners license. When you turn 17 you can ride a bike of any size.
So if you have never driven a bike and are older than 17 you can get your learners on a step-thru 125cc scooter, wait a few weeks and get your license on the same scooter. Now sky is the limit. Go and trade in the scooter against a Yamaha R1 and learn what life is all about at 11,000 RPM.

Laws for road users in this country are designed to keep the population under control.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can any one confirm in Australia we are allowed to modify the Exhaust to screaming eagle?? Is it illegal to do this mod to exhaust??

Cheers.
Ajay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts