Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I'm new to this forum. But came here for answers. I bought a used 2015 street 500 about six months ago. I like the bike. Its size and eight are perfect for me. But I have an issue with the air cleaner assembly. It sticks out so far that my knee tends to hit on it quite a bit when stretching on long rides. I noticed the 750a has a much tighter air box but I cannot seem to find any info on modifying it to fit a 500. (seen guys change it over on a 750.) I know it has two holes etc. My question is is there a tighter airbox that will fit without serious modifications? I don't want to have to worry about rain socks etc. The V&H naked as well as the arlen naked have tons of bad reviews but also look like they would create the same problem for me. Am i asking too much for their to be an honest to goodness upgrade approach to this HD forgotten bike?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had the same problem... I removed the stock air intake and I am using the VH naked intake with no problems to my right knee. I use the HD rain sock with no problems. I like the extra pep too.
2016 XG 500.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ok so I am a little confused? You will have to forgive my ignorance.
Are you saying that you have a basic Street 500 fitted with a STANDARD air box but you think it sticks out too much and am looking to change it to one similar to the 750 Rod one? If so it was my understanding that the 500 and 750 were the same so if the Rod one can be modified for a 750 it can be modified for a 500? You are correct that the Rod has a different one. Mine is a standard 750 and does not stick out near my legs ?? Remember that changing a filter will also likely change your mixture.
From what I have seen also the naked air filters appear to stick out more than the standard and unless you drive in a very dry environment or only ride in the dry the filter will not last long without a sock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so I am a little confused? You will have to forgive my ignorance.
Are you saying that you have a basic Street 500 fitted with a STANDARD air box but you think it sticks out too much and am looking to change it to one similar to the 750 Rod one? If so it was my understanding that the 500 and 750 were the same so if the Rod one can be modified for a 750 it can be modified for a 500? You are correct that the Rod has a different one. Mine is a standard 750 and does not stick out near my legs ?? Remember that changing a filter will also likely change your mixture.
From what I have seen also the naked air filters appear to stick out more than the standard and unless you drive in a very dry environment or only ride in the dry the filter will not last long without a sock.
The 500 has a 35mm throttle body, the 750 has a 38mm throttle body and the 750a has a dual 42mm throttle body. The guys who have changed a 750 to a 750a is by replacing the 38mm on a 750 to the dual 42 from a 750a. Yes technically a dual 42mm throttle body would bolt up to the 500 but could cause other issues that would make it not worth the hassle. Now if there was a way to modify an air cleaner backing plate for a 750a to the 35mm port of the throttle body and redrill the holes then technically it might work. But without actually taking a backing plate(new) and I dunno, ----maybe fiberglass the the backside and inside then drilling hole etc....that might work but how expensive would that be? That's why I am trying to find one that is already made similar or will do what I need it to without headaches and a bunch of fabrication.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The 500 has a 35mm throttle body, the 750 has a 38mm throttle body and the 750a has a dual 42mm throttle body. The guys who have changed a 750 to a 750a is by replacing the 38mm on a 750 to the dual 42 from a 750a. Yes technically a dual 42mm throttle body would bolt up to the 500 but could cause other issues that would make it not worth the hassle. Now if there was a way to modify an air cleaner backing plate for a 750a to the 35mm port of the throttle body and redrill the holes then technically it might work. But without actually taking a backing plate(new) and I dunno, ----maybe fiberglass the the backside and inside then drilling hole etc....that might work but how expensive would that be? That's why I am trying to find one that is already made similar or will do what I need it to without headaches and a bunch of fabrication.
Sorry - my mistake

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry - my mistake
Dude, you don't have to apologize at all. I am a trained ASE certified Auto and heavy Diesel Mechanic. I do my research. I apologize if I sounded rude or anything. (not my intent) I don't know anything about motorcycles beyond general engine knowledge that is similar to any other engine. That's why I am on here trying to find answers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts