Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,im a new member to the great Harley fraternity.I just wanted to know of peoples experience upgrading the air cleaner assembly to something similar to v&h naked kit ?
I have read a lot about having to use a efi tuner to go with it,can anyone tell me how much or little the performance will increase? Fyi...i have a screamin eagle nightstick exhaust,I also have the sceamin eagle performance aircleaner kit,gotta say it wasn't worth the money...thas why I'm thinking it needs to go...thanks in advance peepz

·
Registered
170 Posts
Let me stop you there... its not worth the money. Considering that the price of the exhaust, intake and tune is about 20% of the cost of the whole bike... the increase in performance is relatively negligible.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks heaps for the quick response.I think I would have been better off with a 750 but they don't sell them in Australia.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, he's completely wrong. You can get an FP3 tuner for like $270 on eBay, the intake is about the same. You've already got the exhaust. The 750's go from 50hp stock to 70hp with those 3 components. The 500 should go from 33 to about 45 with them. I'm actually getting mine dyno'd October 8th because nobody seems to have done that after these upgrades on the 500 yet. It certainly FEELS like the power went up that much.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The V&H FP3 "Locks" to the original VIN. If you buy one on Ebay, Make sure it wasn't used before. All the places I looked Online (USA) do not refund them once used. They inform you to contact V&H directly.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Tusconmax1 makes a great point, you have to be absolutely certain that you're getting a NEW unit, one that hasn't been locked to any particular bike's VIN. Once it's been locked, it's pretty much useless for anyone else in the world.

So buyer beware. There are obviously some sketchy sellers out there, whether ebay or craigslist or whatever. That said, it's most certainly possible: I got one off ebay, and it was brand new and unlocked. The seller was HogProWheels, and the price at the time (six months ago) was $297-ish, free shipping. I just checked and the same seller has got 'em for $268, with free shipping, and still claiming that they're new.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, I've heard of lots of people getting them at that seriously discounted price on eBay with no problems. I got mine on Amazon, and knowing Amazon, I'd have had no problem returning it if I were that sketchy.. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This forum is awesome.thanks for all the great responses.i would be interested in the results after the dyno tune! Is the fp3 easy to use or do you need some advanced knowledge?
also would hd dealers be able to work with it?
they don't seem to like non genuine parts?

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's super easy to use. The HD dealer will not honor your warranty if they deem that damage was caused by the FP3. The good news is that your original map is saved when you connect the first time so you can flash the original map back to the bike, remove the FP3 and no one would know but you ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Lithiumzero,so you pretty much hook it up to a computer and follow the prompts or something easy like that?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, I took my bike in for warranty work, check engine light was on, and the FP3 was still plugged in. No problems, they honored the warranty (my problem was a blown fuse, factory put a 5amp in for the fan when it needed 15). :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Cheers Lithiumzero,so you pretty much hook it up to a computer and follow the prompts or something easy like that?
Yup. It's got a deeper level, if you are tuning on a dyno, or know what you're doing, you can go in and mess with the maps and various options. Like in my case, I dropped the hot idle from 1200 to 1000. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds really cool.you can tell the difference,I may have to ask you for advice whenever I get round to getting(affording) the fp3.love the green horns too mate.can I ask where you got the windshield from,I've been looking around but all the ones I have found seem small,compared to yours.i bet you hear that from the ladies also,haha

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sounds really cool.you can tell the difference,I may have to ask you for advice whenever I get round to getting(affording) the fp3.love the green horns too mate.can I ask where you got the windshield from,I've been looking around but all the ones I have found seem small,compared to yours.i bet you hear that from the ladies also,haha
That windhshield came from the dealer. I used the "bike designer" app on Harley's website when I was shopping for the bike, and I put that on as well as the cargo rack and sissy bar. Then I printed out the options and took it to the dealer when I went to buy the bike, told them I'd designed the bike I wanted. So they rolled those parts into the loan and installed them before I took delivery. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts