Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday after work, I decided to change the air filter on my Street 750. I noticed that the housing was loose. After removing the nuts to pull the filter off, I quickly noticed that one of the 5mm bolts had back out almost half way. I took both bolts out, applied some blue thread locker to both and reinstalled. The other thing that had me scratching my head was that motor oil was sitting in the bottom of filter canister. Now, I know that oil can be used around an air intake filter to help trap dirt but never have seen one on a motorcycle. So I wiped out all the oil and placed about the same amount with some 10-40w I have for my other motorcycle.

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yesterday after work, I decided to change the air filter on my Street 750. I noticed that the housing was loose. After removing the nuts to pull the filter off, I quickly noticed that one of the 5mm bolts had back out almost half way. I took both bolts out, applied some blue thread locker to both and reinstalled. The other thing that had me scratching my head was that motor oil was sitting in the bottom of filter canister. Now, I know that oil can be used around an air intake filter to help trap dirt but never have seen one on a motorcycle. So I wiped out all the oil and placed about the same amount with some 10-40w I have for my other motorcycle.
That's a good input. It's worth checking the tightness of bolts all around and yes, any grade of engine oil will do. Usually, the same grade as used in the machine is used purely from convenience point of view.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The other thing that had me scratching my head was that motor oil was sitting in the bottom of filter canister. Now, I know that oil can be used around an air intake filter to help trap dirt but never have seen one on a motorcycle. So I wiped out all the oil and placed about the same amount with some 10-40w I have for my other motorcycle.
The motor has breather tubes that vent from the motor into the air cleaner housing. A little oil in the air box is perfectly normal, especially from the pictures you show. Clean it out and leave it dry.

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts