Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here is a listing of ALL of the upgrades I have completed on my 2016 Street 750 model. I have been continually doing the upgrades since I purchased the bike new in the middle of January 2016 until present. I wanted to wait until everything was finished before posting online here with more information.

Please keep in mind that ALL upgrades listed below were done by ME with limited tools and limited knowledge/experience with HD motorcycles; I do, however, have an MS and almost a PhD in Engineering lol. That being said, I have had varying levels of success with the different mods and upgrades completed; some were easier than others and some were more intense than others.

If anyone has ANY questions, concerns, or comments about ANY of the mods/upgrades completed, please do not hesitate to contact me either directly on the forum or PM me.

PS - Please see "My Garage" for more pics of the work completed.

Here is the list of mods/upgrades completed:

- Corbin Gunfighter Saddle (black)
- Axle Nut covers for FRONT and BACK (black)
- Frame Nut covers (black)
- Tire Pressure valve caps (chrome)
- Daymarker 5 3/4" LED Headlight (chrome)
- Firebrand Cannon SO exhaust
- V&H High-Flow Air intake
- V&H FP3 Management
- Radiator Grill Insert (chrome)
- HD Skull Teardrop mirrors
- Edge-Cut Grips
- Edge-Cut Pegs (driver and passenger)
- Edge-Cut Brake pad
- Edge-Cut Shifter peg
- Dark Custom Medallions (left and right)
- Coolant Hose cover (black)
- Fork Tube and Steering column inserts (chrome)
- 2-Up Luggage Rack with Sissy Bar
- HD Sissy-Bar backpack
- Viking Saddle bags (shock cutout large slanted)
- Hand-Painted stripes (Black and White)
- Gas Cap chrome accents
- Highway Footpegs
- Jiffy Stand coaster
- Helmet Lock (2)
- SAE 2-Pin Battery Tender to USB Adapter (36")

REMOVED from Bike:

- Fork Gators
- Headlight Cowel (and ALL hardware)

Feel free to contact me with any questions, concerns, or feedback. Id like to know what people think regarding the mods/upgrades I made.

Thanks

Safe Riding

Best,

USVet96

Attachments

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Apologies

Picture situation FIXED:

Best,

USVet96

Attachments

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK..... So I figured it out lol. All of the images were too big, despite being taken on the iPhone. Anyways, I have resized all of the images and am now able to upload them here.

Please take a look now and let me know what you think.

Best,

USVet

Attachments

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So after much labor and work lol, I have been able to upload the pictures. I have so many that I may duplicate images, or forget to post an image that someone wants to see. If there is a picture that is not shown that you would like to see, please do not hesitate to let me know so that I can find it and upload it from my collection.

Thanks again everyone. I wanted you all to see some of what can be done from the hands of an "everyday Joe" with the Street model HD.

Best,

USVet

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Looks AWESOME!

IMHO though, I would have put black mirrors on the bike, instead of the chrome, BUT, looks awesome.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
10-64

Thanks, I appreciate the words. Trust me, I DID want black mirrors lol.

Here is what happened: I was heading to the HD store for the Black Tribal mirrors (I believe thats the name of them). Well I began looking at the mirrors and saw these and was like "Man they have more chrome on them then I thought" lol. I ended up buying these and thinking they were the others haha. In the end, since the mirror extensions are chrome as well, I figured it looked better with these black and chrome with the chrome extension pieces then with all black mirrors, chrome extensions, and a set of black handlebars.

All said and done, with the little bit of chrome accents (fork tube covers, steering column, gas tank ring, handle grips, pegs, etc.) on the bike in various spots, I felt the chrome from the mirrors looked like it matched perfectly. Had I had a more "totally blacked out look" on the bike then I DEF would have went with the all black mirrors; but in this scenario I thought the chrome would be OK.

Ultimately I am happy with the mirrors; they provide awesome coverage on the bike and they look smoking in this configuration (especially with the skull on the back to match the few other spots on the bike with small skulls as well).

Best,

USVet

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have the Black Tribal Mirrors on mine and LOVE EM!

Bike looks great. You've done a few mods I'd like to attack soon.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks 1064

Yeah I like the Tribal Mirrors in black.

Anything you have interest in and don't see pics please let me know.

Best,

USVet

·
Registered
490 Posts
I don't know how you do it with edge cut grips. I put Black Kuryakyn ISO grips on my Street 750 to reduce vibration and fatigue. I have the same highway peg clamps on my street mounted on my black engine guard. Since Harley doesn't make the clamp in a black version, I found an exact replica from Rivco in powder coat black. They don't include the other hardware that Harley provides unless I want to try my hand at painting over chrome. So I got some black ones from Kuryakyn through my dealership. Just need to get them mounted to see how they look. Definitely need to upgrade my seat.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Love all you've done but, of course, I have my favorite mod on your Street (Stone Free Mfg grill replacement - LOL)

BTW your "Stone Free - Tribute To Inspiration" CD is in the mail and should be there by Saturday. Please provide some feedback on how you like the Jimi Hendrix selections on the CD. This was based upon a Hendrix CD I made for my brother years ago before he passed away and he was, of course, a huge inspiration for me both related to mototcycles and life in general. My signature is something he shared with me and it applies both to riding and to life in general.

As some may know our business is named after this helmet (attachment) that my older brother used for desert racing (he also raced AMA flat track but had another helmet for that). Jimi Hendrix was his favorite artist and "Stone Free" ("Stone free to ride the breeze") was his favorite Hendrix song.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know how you do it with edge cut grips. I put Black Kuryakyn ISO grips on my Street 750 to reduce vibration and fatigue. I have the same highway peg clamps on my street mounted on my black engine guard. Since Harley doesn't make the clamp in a black version, I found an exact replica from Rivco in powder coat black. They don't include the other hardware that Harley provides unless I want to try my hand at painting over chrome. So I got some black ones from Kuryakyn through my dealership. Just need to get them mounted to see how they look. Definitely need to upgrade my seat.
The grips were an interesting development, especially given my situation with the nerve damage I have. Problem is, I like to FEEL the grip I am holding on to and to KNOW for certain that I am/am not still holding said grip. The edge cut are great for that role in that you KNOW 100% when you are/are not in contact with them. The edges literally make aggressive contact with your hand to satisfy that demand. But they are not really soft or comfortable.

As far as "reducing fatigue or vibration" goes, no dice on these friend. I have an obsession with wearing gloves when riding (even in Miami in summer lol) but they are super-super thin. I have tried thick gloves, padded gloves, strategically lined gloves with targeted impact pads, anti-shock and vibration gloves, and on and on, all the while trying to find some relief from fatigue and vibration as you mention. For ME, however, there has not been a single pair of gloves I have tried or worn yet that has been "successful" at reducing fatigue and/or vibration. The gloves I do wear simply provide a layer of fabric in between my hand and the grip so as to reduce calluses lol. To try and reduce the vibration and fatigue discomfort caused from an extended ride, try to not grip the bar so tightly, and try to use a type of "throttle lock" for the right side grip that allows you to put pressure on a toggle to maintain/increase speed rather than having to manually rotate the grip using your hand. These tips seem to help me the most.

Also, the BEST all-around riding glove I have found is actually a pair of Black Nomex Flight Gloves that I used in the military. They are perfect for riding, not too hot, and provide satisfactory protection.

We are a little lucky in the fact that as Street owners, the Street models do not excessively vibrate, rattle, shake, or cause extensive fatigue (to me at least and IMO) when compared to other HD models.

That was good thinking on the Rivco in black. Had I had the foresight to think that far ahead I may have gone that route lol; as such, however, I unit it matched the sporadic chrome inserts I used throughout the bike at different stages by adding the chrome pieces I did from HD. What did you use for the actual "foot peg" piece that attaches to the fitting I have installed?

Best,

USVet

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Love all you've done but, of course, I have my favorite mod on your Street (Stone Free Mfg grill replacement - LOL)

BTW your "Stone Free - Tribute To Inspiration" CD is in the mail and should be there by Saturday. Please provide some feedback on how you like the Jimi Hendrix selections on the CD. This was based upon a Hendrix CD I made for my brother years ago before he passed away and he was, of course, a huge inspiration for me both related to mototcycles and life in general. My signature is something he shared with me and it applies both to riding and to life in general.

As some may know our business is named after this helmet (attachment) that my older brother used for desert racing (he also raced AMA flat track but had another helmet for that). Jimi Hendrix was his favorite artist and "Stone Free" ("Stone free to ride the breeze") was his favorite Hendrix song.
Hey StoneFree...

Thanks for the CD info; I will keep an eye out for it soon and will definitely post the requested feedback as well. That's really special what you are doing for your brother and in his remembrance so whatever I can do I will. I also dig the helmet and the graphics on it, as well as the motto he advocated; very wise man!

I wanted to tell you that the install of YOUR piece was literally the "easiest mod" I did on the bike. Not even kidding. I didn't need to do ANYTHING once I removed the cover piece except maneuver the grill insert a bit here and there; NO drilling out, NO sanding, NO hand-turning the drill bit as a shank removal tool, NO nothing. Once it was removed, the locations where the factory attachments were looked like plastic that had been heated, softened up, and then cooled. Where each spot was, was a little blob of this hardened plastic. What I did was just wiggle the hole "over and around" the plastic blob and it was free. Did this for ALL of the attachment areas and had NO issues at all. It just "popped off" at each attachment location lol. Then black caulk, set, and screw in with double washers at the top. Easy peasy!!

Just wanted to let you now how smooth the install went.

Best,

USVet

PS - the pics of the completed mod insert look great on the red bike with the other chrome accents I used doesnt it...

Reactions: StoneFree

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm using the small diamond black foot peg for my highway peg.
Those are a nice set of pegs, and I like the way they look. Probably look great with the all black housing you mentioned. I'm gonna see what is in stock at the local HD today and then decide.

Thanks for the info.

Best,

USVet

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Hey StoneFree...

I wanted to tell you that the install of YOUR piece was literally the "easiest mod" I did on the bike.

Best,

USVet

PS - the pics of the completed mod insert look great on the red bike with the other chrome accents I used doesnt it...

While some are up to building a complete motorcycle from scratch others are more interested in simple changes that do a lot for the appearance of their motorcycles and we focused on that originally. Soon my partner will be done here in Arizona and we'll get back to building our ground up custon Stone Free Chopper and we even want to make kits or rolling chassis so that anyone can build a custom Street 500/750 chopper. Matt, my partner, and I are the crazy one's for wanting to build a chopper from scratch but we really want to make that something anyone can basically do.

Dennis

PS Living in Florida for about a year (Port St Lucie) I know there are some great places for you to take pictures of your motorcycle. So when you're out riding along the coast be sure to take your camera and post pictures. As you mention it's looking very good!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was looking at a corbin or mustang 2-up seat, but the pillion part looks like it rubs against the front of the rack mount. This looks like it's close but I can't tell if rubs against the rack. How much clearance is there? BTW, great mods.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where did you get those side bags at? those look really nice on this bike.
The saddle bags are from Viking. They are the "shock cutout large slanted" model and come with all the necessary hardware.

I will say that the DIY job with the bags is a PIA (well it was to me) because almost NOTHING went as planned or as indicated from the installation instructions. I had to muddle through it AND had to buy additional bolts ONLINE (and NOT from Viking and NOT from anywhere local as no one had the length/size I needed in a SS finish, etc.) to use the 2-up luggage rack from HD with the bags. Issue after issue it seemed. Could have, and should have, been much, much easier of an install than it was.

At the end of the day I am happy with the bags. YES they were a PIA, but YES I did the install myself; saving at least $225-$300 from what the dealer was quoting for time alone. The bags work, they fit, they look good, the lock, and they provide the storage needs I was looking for.

Like I said, for me it was a PIA, but a "worth it" PIA as having to the set of perfectly functioning bags installed and working AND saving several hundred dollars for a little bit of a "rough go" is OK in my book. I just wanted to provide the full disclaimer on the bags lol.

Any other questions let me know.

Best,

USVet

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was looking at a corbin or mustang 2-up seat, but the pillion part looks like it rubs against the front of the rack mount. This looks like it's close but I can't tell if rubs against the rack. How much clearance is there? BTW, great mods.
Thanks for the kind words.

It is a close fit with the Corbin seat, but it does not rub the mount at all at the rear of the seat where it meets the metal of the luggage rack tuning. Once you have the 2-up luggage rack installed, there is about an inch between the back of the seat and the bottom bolts for the screw in back rest piece of the sissy bar. Remember this is the "Gunfighter" model too so I think there would be even less room with say the "Lady fighter" model. However, I have been told it fits fine with the luggage rack installed so there is the potential it's fine as well. I cannot say for the Mustang seat as I have not seen one with the luggage rack installed to say how the depth and fit appears.

When the wife rides I just unscrew the chrome nut and swap the seat for the original seat that came with the bike and don't have to remove the luggage rack at all, which is a huge benefit.

Hope this helps.

Best,

USVet

Reactions: CorkyF
1 - 20 of 25 Posts