Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. I was wondering What AF to use in these bikes? Other than the Harley stuff at $23 Bottle. I have used the Prestone 50/50 Extended Life (Gold colored) in previous motorcycles. Honda and Yamaha. But this red stuff makes me wonder?? I contacted Valvoline. They told me to use the Zerex Extended Life. Which is listed for Heavy Diesel engines.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just go into the store and buy the universal stuff, every time, whatever is cheapest. Done that in dozens of cars over the years. Would do it in this bike if I had reason to open up the system.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I Normally use the Prestone 50/50 mix. The Gold stuff. Harley is really Hush, Hush about the Required Specs.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Prestone e-mailed me. Told me to use the DexCool stuff.

Since I only needed a small amount, I went to the dealer. Bought the small bottle. It looked red in the Overflow bottle. But what I poured in was Orange. Which is Dexcool

·
Registered
231 Posts

I am about to flush, drain, pressure wash, pee in, whatever I have to do to get rid of that DEXCRAP.... I have done more than my fair share (hundreds) of 3.1, 3.4, and 3.8L intake manifolds and heads due to that DEXCOOL junk... 150k without maintenance my A$$.... I will use a secret combination of water and sugar lol just kidding... Redline or Royal purple will be my suggestions, just from using them in the 10 sec and under tests...

I cannot believe that... Dexcool, of all things... I never bothered to stare at the colors, nor to do a test of which base it is...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Never liked it myself. I've done Alot of Water Pumps back in the day. Could not understand How they claimed 100K (2000). When were constantly fixing leaks.

I have used the Prestone 50/50 Amber in the last 2 water cooled motorcycles. Those were Japanese. The Majesty had 5 or 7k when I changed the factory coolant to the Prestone. Traded it with over 14k. And never had any problems. That had an Aluminum engine.

The Color is a Industry Standard according to the guys at the local Napa. Prestone told me to use Dexcool back awhile ago.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I Never liked it myself. I've done Alot of Water Pumps back in the day. Could not understand How they claimed 100K (2000). When were constantly fixing leaks.

I have used the Prestone 50/50 Amber in the last 2 water cooled motorcycles. Those were Japanese. The Majesty had 5 or 7k when I changed the factory coolant to the Prestone. Traded it with over 14k. And never had any problems. That had an Aluminum engine.

The Color is a Industry Standard according to the guys at the local Napa. Prestone told me to use Dexcool back awhile ago.
The water pumps had different issues and were not affected like the cylinder heads and intake manifolds were... The bearings failed due to either contamination (too much gasket sealer, etc) or from the impellers due to the pressure increase from the low level of DEXCRAP building up steam and neglected maintenance, however GM said 150k without maintenance, that's what I called BS on years ago... Just Google the problems with DEXCOOL and what GM says, all to cover their a$$... I am telling you from firsthand experience on rebuilding this crap, and Tuscon from Dirty Jooisy is too...

Most of the time people go without doing the basic maintenance that needs to be kept up with each vehicle, cars, trucks, and motorcycles alike... Suspension and Steering components are always the first and last that are neglected the most... Either way, I am flushing this junk a$$ stuff out tomorrow and letting everyone know what I swapped out with...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Before I forget I did a coolant flush and refilled my cooling system with your typical Prestone coolant mixed to 50/50 with a coolant additive... That's it... No more DexCrap waiting for my manifold and heads to blow up... Never... Ever.... Could you pay me to use that coolant....

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, You put the Amber colored in. Rad Cap is under the gas tank. How did you bleed the air? Or did you just slightly overfill the bottle?

·
Registered
231 Posts
So, You put the Amber colored in. Rad Cap is under the gas tank. How did you bleed the air? Or did you just slightly overfill the bottle?
Special adapter for draining and filling cooling systems from the automotive world... Tools of the trade... Small Asian adapter fit for the HD with the bottle neck and a small hose I had laying around from a Miata I worked on last week...

No I took out the orange dexcrap and put in the lime green yellow universal with a hint of a specific coolant additive... You can burp the system enough by leaving the cap off and squeezing each hose more specifically the bottom one to help purge the bubbles that get trapped... Also you can just overfill start up the motor and wait, shut it off and do it again after it's purged out the air **** near completely... Just time consuming not that complicated.... It's slot easier to without bypass heater control valves and heater cores.... It is so much simpler...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Or you can do what I sometimes do with pressurized overflow tanks.. vacuum it all out slowly like a blood transfusion.... I do the same with transmission flushes too....

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you need help I will walk you through it man, with pictures of course... It was easy and took me less than a time to do a tire rotation on a 4x4...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you. I just don't fancy having to remove the gas tank again. I have a funnel with attached hose I bought years ago. When I did the Honda Silverwing. That wasn't so bad. The Rad Cap was underneath a removable pocket.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Harley is starting to remind me of FORD or CHRYSLER for the sake of service.... I got what you are saying man...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
01 Ford Escape 3.0. Had to pull the Axle Shaft to replace the Alternator. Remove the 3 bolts. And roll it out of there. Did it Several times in the driveway. The factory ring terminal burned off somehow. Used a Plastic Wire Nut(House wiring) and heat shrink tubing to cap it off. And run a new wire with Wafer fuse back to the battery. There wasn't enough slack left.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yup... I know those all to well... And the Dodge Calibers, 2.0 and 2.4... ugh...

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Just flushed the Vrod and the XG today. Went green universal

1 - 19 of 19 Posts