Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Has anyone else noticed this.

My tank was full. Rode about 20 miles to my Dealer. Shut it off. Saw gas vapors and some fuel dripping from the overflow hose. Rode back to the house. Same thing. About 44 Miles since I filled the tank. When I fill mine, Its on the Jiffy Stand. And I am standing next to the bike. Watching. At the bottom of the fill holder. Or just below. Ride the 4 miles to get home, And add 1 oz. Lucas Ethanol Guard.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Never exprienced that on any motorcycle and haven't heard of it happening either. Maybe I lead a sheltered life...............

·
Registered
496 Posts
The first time I filled up with the motorcycle on the stand I experienced the same "overfill" symptoms. Since then I stay seated and keep the bike upright and level, and stop filling just before the fuel hits the bottom of the fill holder. With the motorcycle on the jiffy stand it may be possible for the fuel to reach the overflow pipe easier when in the upright position.

Aha, but then over here we still have fuel/gas jockeys to do the re-fulling for us so remaining seated is possible. Sometimes a third world country has its advantages!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With 44 Miles, The that should've used about 3/4 Gallon.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've also noticed fuel on the ground, under the bike, after a fill up. I'm chalking it up to "expansion in the tank".
It's happened a few times, but I seem to notice it most after a fill up.
(Sometimes it even looks "oily" but still has that "fuel smell")

·
Registered
504 Posts
Don't fill above the plate with the holes in it and it won't happen.
I never have, and it still happens, BUT, the bike is on the side stand when I'm filling it. Maybe I'll try sitting on the bike, with it more upright the next time I fill it

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't. Has 44 Miles since I filled. And still dripped some gas. That should have used up about 3/4 of a Gallon.

·
Registered
504 Posts
...............then it's gotta be the infamous "Harley Oil Stain!" lol

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I have never "seen" any gas stains, leaks, or liquid left behind.

But to be honest, the last 2 or 3 times I have ridden I have smelled gas much more so than usual. Almost like I should have been seeing gas somewhere because the smell of petrol was stronger than usual.

Never noticed it before so have to keep an eye on it now.

Best,

USVet

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Smell is what tipped me off to look.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts