Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new Street 500 last night. Upon leaving the dealer my amber engine check light came on. The bike had no acceleration and I limped home using full throttle. This morning the bike was hard starting. The starter would get the engine going and then it would die. I finally kept goosing the throttle and got it to run. I decided I would take the side streets to work and after work take it straight to the dealer. After about 3 or 4 blocks I stopped at a red light and the bike almost died and then immediatly reved very high. I was looking to stab the kill switch when it came down to an idle. The engine check light went out. I pulled away from the stop light and the acceleration was jerky. After a few blocks it seemed to smooth out some. Its still a little quirky. If when I leave work tonight and the engine light is back on I'm heading to the dealer with it.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Wow, I hope this has turned out well for you. Sounds like a pretty scary story with some severe problem. I would get it to the dealer as soon as I could and not to go back in time on you, but limping home sounds like a good time to limp right back to the dealer. If you are like me, though you picked the bike up right at closing time and returning it to a closed dealer wouldn't have helped very much.
Again, I hope this has turned out well and looking forward to hearing what the dealer said/did to fix it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Left work and the bike would not accelerate and top speed was about 40 mph. Had to take streets to the dealer. When I got to stop lights the bike would stall most of the time. Somtimes it would rev out until I hit the kill switch. Lot of P.O.'d drivers behind me. A couple of times the bike would suddenly full on accelerate in traffic. Not good with those mushy brakes. Didn't make it accross town to the dealer before they closed. Will take it back on my day off.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Seriously, sounds unsafe. I recommend trailer / truck to get it to the dealer. Sounds terrifying and like you may be damaging something by riding this in this condition. Be safe, Be safe, Be safe. Not so worried about the PO'd other people, but don't need them accelerating over the top of you, or you smashing into them.
I hope the day off comes soon.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Left work and the bike would not accelerate and top speed was about 40 mph. Had to take streets to the dealer. When I got to stop lights the bike would stall most of the time. Somtimes it would rev out until I hit the kill switch. Lot of P.O.'d drivers behind me. A couple of times the bike would suddenly full on accelerate in traffic. Not good with those mushy brakes. Didn't make it accross town to the dealer before they closed. Will take it back on my day off.
Riding the motorcycle was foolish. Call the dealer and have them pick it up.

Reactions: Static07

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Have the dealership come get it. Do not ride it anywhere until fixed

Reactions: Static07

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dropped off the bike at the dealer on Tuesday. Couldn't pick it up until my day off which is Monday. I asked them if they changed any parts. They said no. They didn't find anything wrong. I rode it home following my wife in the truck. It seamed normal. The next day I took it out in town and in the middle of traffic it happened again, no power, no acceleration. Al I could do is thread my way to the right lane and when I stopped the bike stalled. It started up and I rode toward home. The bike had no acceleration and wouldn't go past about 40 mph. Sometimes it would sputter and lurch forward suddenly and then go back to no acceleration. That night I brought it back to the dealer. The bike now has 65 miles on it and its second visit to the shop.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Its got to be something

Glad to hear from you. I hope they figure it out for you this time. I think I wouldn't take it back from them without seeing a few more miles on the odometer. At least as many as it took you to have the problem occur. Just my thought on it, anyway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What is the build date on your bike? Not knowing what your dealer did and build date you may have a loose fuel inlet filter connection at the main pump body. Due you know if they checked fuel pressure or what codes where stored?

Depending on your build date TT442 (Tech Tip) may apply (2015 Street Performance Concerns) as stated above with loose fuel inlet filter.

Chris

Reactions: Irie

·
Registered
174 Posts
What is the build date on your bike? Not knowing what your dealer did and build date you may have a loose fuel inlet filter connection at the main pump body. Due you know if they checked fuel pressure or what codes where stored?

Depending on your build date TT442 (Tech Tip) may apply (2015 Street Performance Concerns) as stated above with loose fuel inlet filter.

Chris
can you post this tech tip here? Loose fuel inlet filter might be related to the lag & leap issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow seems like a lot of street owners have had the fuel issue problem.I have an early build date 750 build date 8-14 and have not experienced any of these issues I have only had the low fuel light on once and had no problems.I have a recall on the tank and reflector -have not taken bike into dealer to fix or check out but my tank does not leak even when fuel is in the neck and I lean it over to the right so it appears to be ok.
I also added the extended mirrors helps some but still can not see who is directly behind you unless you lean over a little.
Also someone mentioned a part number to re position the horn I would like to do that as well,does a part number for this change exist?or do we just rig one .
JL

·
Registered
35 Posts

Chris
can you post this tech tip here? Loose fuel inlet filter might be related to the lag & leap issue.
I posted this in the NHTSA thread:

The very early made streets (before 10/15/14) had the possibility of a loose fuel inlet filter connection at the main pump body. The connection is a one-time push-on fit that is not serviceable. If a loose connection is found, the complete fuel pump assembly needed to be replaced. A simple fuel pressure test would detect this.

That is pretty much TT442. And it just falls under "performance issue" no further concern detail.

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The bike is still at the dealer. Its been awhile and I've been hoping to get it back in time for Memorial holiday. Went to the dealer and they said that they were waiting on parts. They did install the reflector on the license plate bracket though. I will check the build date and the safety recall when I get it back.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I posted this in the NHTSA thread:

The very early made streets (before 10/15/14) had the possibility of a loose fuel inlet filter connection at the main pump body. The connection is a one-time push-on fit that is not serviceable. If a loose connection is found, the complete fuel pump assembly needed to be replaced. A simple fuel pressure test would detect this.

That is pretty much TT442. And it just falls under "performance issue" no further concern detail.

Chris
I bought my XG750 10/12/14. Because of this problem, the fuel pump was replaced 1/3/2015. The dealer had the replacement pump shipped from headquarters at that time. I experienced the same problem again and the fuel pump was replaced again 3/28/2015. Again, the dealer had the replacement pump shipped from headquarters at that time.
You explained the first time problem. To explain the second time problem, HD needs to provide information about their fuel pump replacement parts condition in their stock. Were they shipping faulty replacement fuel pumps to dealers in late December, early January? What about in March?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally got the bike back from the dealer yesterday. They replaced the throttle body and fuel pump. I rode the bike today in town and no problems, finally. It was nice to go for a ride and make it home with no issues. The bike does have a jerky throttle though. Something like its hunting or running lean. A stage one exhaust and intake may fix that. The guys at the dealer were great. They wanted to get the issue fixed as much as I wanted. I am disappointed with The Motor Company though for the lack of quality control. This is a new bike that crappped out on the first day out of the dealer. Planning to put some miles on it this weekend. We will see how it goes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Finally got the bike back from the dealer yesterday. They replaced the throttle body and fuel pump. I rode the bike today in town and no problems, finally. It was nice to go for a ride and make it home with no issues. The bike does have a jerky throttle though. Something like its hunting or running lean. A stage one exhaust and intake may fix that. The guys at the dealer were great. They wanted to get the issue fixed as much as I wanted. I am disappointed with The Motor Company though for the lack of quality control. This is a new bike that crappped out on the first day out of the dealer. Planning to put some miles on it this weekend. We will see how it goes.
Happy to hear you got it fixed! Now it's time for some miles!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got to put some miles on her. No issues, she runs fine. Can't seem to get used to the riding position though. I kind of sit up on it instead of down in it. My advice to anyone who will listen is spend a little more and go with an 883. Lots more torque and fun to ride. As for me I just traded the 500 for one of Harley's competitors bikes. Hint: It's motor is 69ci. Good bye and good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dogrocket - This sounds a lot like my bike! Mine has acted funky from the maiden voyage home (stalled with clutch fully pulled in at 2 stop signs), but I was told that it was in need of "breaking in". This was the service department that told me this. Being my first bike and VERY different from my husband's Sportster, I thought nothing of it. It wasn't until this past Friday that I had the same issue with the acceleration.... with a sudden jump initially and a loss of speed. I was/ am more than a little depressed that my bike is now in the shop with only slightly more than 100 miles (total) on it.

Is your bike still functioning normally after the throttle body and fuel pump replacements? How long did it take them to get this completed? I'm the not most patient person and I feel like I pester the crap out of this dealership. (Can we say gold star on my file?)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts