Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a symptom of me being new to riding or possibly cause I need to buy some proper boots .. But I seem to get caught in neutral A LOT. I have 500 miles on my 750 and it seems like it has gotten worse the more I ride.

I would appreciate some input.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm at 550 miles on my 500, and have never had that problem. Getting my bike to stop at neutral has actually been most of my issue. It likes to hop past. I hear it gets better after the switch to synthetic oil at 1000 miles.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Put more miles on your bike, shifting problems will slowly disappear. I also went to synthetic oil at 800 miles and that made a difference also.

·
Registered
187 Posts
happens to me a few times, because city traffic here in Philippines is around 25 kph so I am constantly shifting thru N and catch it rather unexpectedly (compared to trying to find N when at a stop light to relax my left hand )

·
Registered
32 Posts
More miles wont solve this

Folks. There are many reports of the same issue regarding shifting problems with the XGs. It appears that one of the critical parts in the shifting mechanism is near out of spec. I had a related problem with my new 750. I could not reliably up shift beyond 2nd. The dealer's HD tech immediately confirmed the problem and the part was replaced under warranty. Absolutely no problem since. Its a typical problem with a new product roll-out. Stop tormenting yourself and get it fixed. some things don't get better with age :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Folks. There are many reports of the same issue regarding shifting problems with the XGs. It appears that one of the critical parts in the shifting mechanism is near out of spec. I had a related problem with my new 750. I could not reliably up shift beyond 2nd. The dealer's HD tech immediately confirmed the problem and the part was replaced under warranty. Absolutely no problem since. Its a typical problem with a new product roll-out. Stop tormenting yourself and get it fixed. some things don't get better with age :)
Thanks for the info. I knew that my technique couldn't be THAT bad. She's going to the dealership on Tuesday.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey critter, any chance you know the name of the part that was replaced? I have had issues going into neutral from 1st to 2nd and into a ghost neutral from 2nd to 3rd. Also, did the part help with getting into neutral at a stop?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I was having the same issue, I noticed if I just pull in the clutch half way and smoothly shift up to second it works fine, it seems to get lost when you pull all the way in. I haven't had an issue since, quicker shift as well. Happy Riding!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hello, I was having the same issue, I noticed if I just pull in the clutch half way and smoothly shift up to second it works fine, it seems to get lost when you pull all the way in. I haven't had an issue since, quicker shift as well. Happy Riding!
I always only pull the clutch in half way because I only use my pointer and middle finger to pull in the lever and still have the issue

·
Registered
32 Posts
James811. According to the repair documentation, the problem part was the Shifter Shaft Assy. part no. 33900106A. other parts required for the repair: 11900045, 18100023, 25700210 & Syn 3 oil. So far I've put on another 1,100 miles with no trans problems. The rear break peddal sucks... but I've had worse!! Critter

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've never had an issue shifting up or down .................ONLY trying to find the elusive "Neutral" when parking

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've never had an issue shifting up or down .................ONLY trying to find the elusive "Neutral" when parking
when parking i kill the engine first, then finding N is much easier for some reason. but i usually leave the bike in gear while parked

·
Registered
177 Posts
I 've had it happen a couple of times, no biggie. I blame it on driver error. Pull out from a light, shift to second & gouge on it, nothing, bike slows down while engine revs, look down & the neutral light is happily shining back at you. You just hope that any of your friends weren't around to see you do that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lemmy from Revzilla.com did a review of the 750. He had that issue, as well. And it happens to me, too. I bought my 750 about a month ago and have already amassed over 2,200 miles (I also took it to its 1,000-mile service as required). It still happens. Other than that and a few 4-5, 5-6 gears, it's a great motor! (Although I wish the bike were about 20% larger to fit my 6'1"/200lb-frame)

·
Registered
120 Posts
On my 500, I'll get caught short going from 1st to 2nd. I have to do it again. Always in traffic, always at a light. It concerns me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Had the issue on my 2015 XG750. When I took it in for the 1000 mile service the techs said there was a part out of spec and they had it on order....brought the bike back when they asked and they replaced the defective part. Haven't missed an upshift since. If you're having issues see your dealer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was getting this, though more so on downshifting than up shifting. I changed my oil yesterday and it was much better today. I was getting a juttering clutch when using the friction zone but the oil change seems to have taken care of that too. So you might try and oil change first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For you guys that had the out of spec part: what year bike was it? I have the 2016 750 and I miss 2nd quite often. I'm still at 600 miles, has not gone in for service yet. I thought it was me, even after seeing Lemmy's review about it. Maybe not.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So to update this situation. I took it into the dealer and they said they were not able to recreate the problem and everything looked fine... I'm not really sure how to proceed and they are probably not going to cover this under warranty.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So to update this situation. I took it into the dealer and they said they were not able to recreate the problem and everything looked fine... I'm not really sure how to proceed and they are probably not going to cover this under warranty.
That's why I haven't taken mine to the dealer. My local dealer tries to screw me over any chance they can

1 - 20 of 23 Posts