Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna put a set of ape hangers on my 750 street. How big can i go without having to change out my throttle, clutch, and brake cables? Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help, i bought 8 inch apes and a speed merchant muffler for my bike, ill post pics of it when i get everything on

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
How do you like the look of the ape hangers with the Speed Merchant pipes? I've been debating on getting ape hangers or going more with an Iron 883 handlebar set. I feel like if I did go with the ape hangers, I would have to go with a seat like this:

Drag Specialties Large Spring Solo Seat with Black Solar-Reflective Leather and Perimeter Stitched | 803-139 | J&P Cycles
That's a sweet seat. Never seen one like that on a Street. Very curious to see how it would look.

Best,

USVet

·
Registered
490 Posts
Replaced the left switch cluster with another set with soldered extended wires. I now have working blinkers and horn. Waiting on a longer front brake line. The left side switch cluster was only $16 so I bought two and sacrificed the wire off of one and soldered it to the other to give myself more than enough wire lead to reach the female plug underneath the gas tank. Going to take apart the one I removed from the bike and redo the solder connections. Me thinks I cross connected some wires. To give an illustration of how long the wire was extend I've included a pic with the handlebar I removed. Keeping the old handle bar so I can switch it back to the reduce reach if I get tired of the 12 inch mini apes.

I have never done this before and I'm elated that it worked out for me.

Just Do It!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replaced the left switch cluster with another set with soldered extended wires. I now have working blinkers and horn. Waiting on a longer front brake line. The left side switch cluster was only $16 so I bought two and sacrificed the wire off of one and soldered it to the other to give myself more than enough wire lead to reach the female plug underneath the gas tank. Going to take apart the one I removed from the bike and redo the solder connections. Me thinks I cross connected some wires. To give an illustration of how long the wire was extend I've included a pic with the handlebar I removed. Keeping the old handle bar so I can switch it back to the reduce reach if I get tired of the 12 inch mini apes.

I have never done this before and I'm elated that it worked out for me.

Just Do It!
What lengths did you end up going with for wires, cables, and line?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I ordered my clutch, throttle, Idle, and brake line From Magnum wires.

Clutch 10 inches longer than stock...Custom
Throttle and Idle are 6 inches longer than stock
Front brake line I went 10 inches longer than stock.
Mounted on 12 mini ape from TB

The brake wire on the throttle side I made an extension and used 1/4 male and female shovels.
I did the same with the clutch side so that I didn't have move the plug by the tree.

The excess wire from both switches I tucked under the front of gas tank without undoing the
the ugly stock wire bundle on a 2015 model.

If I find a handle bar where I can run the wires in the bar and still use the stock switches, I may switch the handlebar.
The person with the 14s has a cleaner look than mine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I found some mini apes on ebay. They weren't huge, but did adjust the riding style a bit. Best part, I didn't have to run new wiring it was all bolt on and go. Much more comfortable for riding too. @ 28 bucks including shipping, it was a steal. I'll grab photos if anyone wants to see.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts