Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Are high gas prices impacting your riding this year?

• Riding more and driving less.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Riding less and driving the same amount.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Riding and driving less.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not changing my riding nor driving habits.

Votes: 3 75.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are experiencing record high gas prices here in the United States. Another forum I hang out on has a number of threads complaining about prices or discussing how the high prices are impacting their riding or how it may impact the price of used motorcycles. That forum is dominated by guys riding big touring bikes that only get 35 mpg (~14.9 Km/liter) of premium gasoline.

Does anybody here think that high gas prices are going to impact their riding in any way? I know I plan to get back to doing more riding than I've done the past couple of years in order to save gas while travelling more. How about anybody else?

NOTE:The reasons and excuses for current gas prices are many and varied. Most such discussions will get this thread locked, so don't go there.

Reactions: Lesblank

·
Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Bandera, Texas
632 Posts
Whether fuel prices are low or high, I ride a lot, prices won't change how much I ride. I already commute 80 percent plus of the time on two wheels. Riding is what I do.

·
Registered
691 Posts
What will happen in my case is I will use the bike much more to go to the shops for the small things, bread, milk etc. while the car will be used less. I am very fortunate as my Street fuel consumption has been recorded since day one so my figure of 53.84mpg I consider accurate. In 2019 I switched cars from a Renault 1.6 Cleo to a Suzuki 1.4 Baleno, which has surprised me in just how light the Suzuki is on fuel, despite only having a 30 litre fuel tank.

Over here fuel is sold in litres (roughly 4.5 litres to a US gallon) and current cost of top grade, 95 octane is ZAR 21.24 per litre or ZAR 80.40 per gal. Today the ZAR is trading against the USD at 14.986, so for round up conversions I use ZAR15.00 to one USD. From the end of the month the anticipated petrol increase will rise by an estimated ZAR 2.07 per litre.

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
71 Posts
I have unfortunately been riding less, but not due to gas prices. I volunteered to be on call basically every other week for like the next 5 months. Pay is great and I get to drive the work truck that work pays for the gas, but severely cuts into my riding time. With land in florida starting to go for a premium and my current house has almost doubled in value since I bought it almost 3 years ago, I'm trying to buy land and build a house and sell my current house while it's worth way more than it should be.

I have been driving my Ram less, as hemis arent known for sipping gas, but I also have my beater corolla that I just got before gas skyrocketed that has been seeing some use. Riding the bike to work when I'm not on call almost seems like a waste since I live 3 miles from work lol.

But if I was in the same situation I was in 2 months ago with just the bike and the Ram, I would definitely be using the bike some more for commuting whereas right now its just for fun riding.

·
Super Moderator
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Sarge2481 I have trouble convincing myself to ride the bike for short hops like you have to work, even though it would seem to be an ideal use. It's the hassle of putting all of my gear on for those short hops. If I want to go to any kind of a store or restaurant my little town has almost nothing, but four miles away another town has most of what I need. It seems silly to not take the car there in the time it would take me to suit up for riding the bike.

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
71 Posts
Honestly if I take the bike to work I just wear my uniform and a helmet and gloves. I don't typically take it to work because rain is unpredictable as is working overtime.

·
Super Moderator
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That may be how the gas prices impact my riding. I may start riding more of these short trips with a little less gear rather than taking the car.

Reactions: Lesblank
1 - 9 of 9 Posts