Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 into 1 Vance and Hines exhaust. I hate the sound of my bike. It doesn't have that throaty sound that most Harleys are known for.

I listened to several Harleys with different pipe configurations at the local stealership and it's obvious my problem is due to the pipes that I have. I don't have any money to spend on new pipes so I'm going to try to work with what I have.

Tonight I removed the baffle in the end and I noticed a difference but the sound its still not right. However, I drove it around the block and discovered that removing the baffle actually solved another problem I had with backfiring when letting off the gas.
The end pipe will disconnect a few inches before it splits into 2 pipes...so I'm thinking about replacing the end pipe with something shorter. Or taking the end pipe and cutting it down to shorten it.
I've done some google image searches and haven't found what I'm looking for yet. It would be cool to just buy a new tip. Anyone got any advice?

·
Registered
155 Posts
The sound you're looking for, specifically with some of the larger V-twins, is not going to be solved with a different exhaust. They sound bigger and throatier because the actual displacement is significantly higher, sometimes over twice the displacement of our 750s. Until someone starts boring the cylinders out to 1000+ CCs, we're not going to get that deep rumble that's so emblematic of the big Harleys. Not to mention our bikes idle several hundred RPMs higher.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 2 into 1 Vance and Hines exhaust. I hate the sound of my bike. It doesn't have that throaty sound that most Harleys are known for.

I listened to several Harleys with different pipe configurations at the local stealership and it's obvious my problem is due to the pipes that I have. I don't have any money to spend on new pipes so I'm going to try to work with what I have.

Tonight I removed the baffle in the end and I noticed a difference but the sound its still not right. However, I drove it around the block and discovered that removing the baffle actually solved another problem I had with backfiring when letting off the gas.
The end pipe will disconnect a few inches before it splits into 2 pipes...so I'm thinking about replacing the end pipe with something shorter. Or taking the end pipe and cutting it down to shorten it.
I've done some google image searches and haven't found what I'm looking for yet. It would be cool to just buy a new tip. Anyone got any advice?
You're not going to get that iconic Harley Davidson sound out of a Revolution - X engine. It's two totally different engines all together and truth be told, a modern day fuel injected Harley Davidson doesn't sound like the iconic Harley sound most have come to associate with imop when you compare it with an older pre-EFI model.

If you're going to start pulling baffels and messing with pipes, that's going to mess with your air flow and honestly, your bike will need a tune. Before you melt a valve or something silly, get yourself a proper tuner and if you don't have tuning capabilities (someone to tune your bike for you) get something that will allow YOU to tune on the fly.

I've dealt with Harley for years, so just to give you all a heads up. When you start modding like this, you can pretty much kiss most warranty claims good-bye as in, Harley will find a way to associate damage to your mods so they DO NOT have to fix your bike. If you don't have the stones to put the GM or the service writer in their place, you ownership experience could suffer greatly leaving a bad taste in your mouth. I've already priced out a spare engine for my racing team and at $4200 a pop, I'm not sure if most people realize what they are getting themselves into, by simply trying to change the note of their exhaust.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts