Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owned HD's from 60's thru 80' - early sports, xr1000, fxrt's, wglide - swore 'em off. Been watching the [change] and thought I would try again. Really pleased with the XG750. I think someone on State St. woke up.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
It is a nice machine isn't it!

Welcome to the Asylum. The inmates run the place.....

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Owned HD's from 60's thru 80' - early sports, xr1000, fxrt's, wglide - swore 'em off. Been watching the [change] and thought I would try again. Really pleased with the XG750. I think someone on State St. woke up.

While many disparage the AMF years it was AMF that initiated the "Evolution" and "Revolution" engine development programs and that ultimately lead to Harley-Davidson producing far superior motorcycles in the 21st Century. The new "Revolution X" engine used on the Street 500/750 is just the latests in those developments that AMF initiated.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
While many disparage the AMF years it was AMF that initiated the "Evolution" and "Revolution" engine development programs and that ultimately lead to Harley-Davidson producing far superior motorcycles in the 21st Century. The new "Revolution X" engine used on the Street 500/750 is just the latests in those developments that AMF initiated.
Can't believe I didn't know that, thanks for sharing. It sure does help to have some seriously knowledgeable members on board!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Whattaya mean "at last- liquid cooled"? HD has had liquid cooled bikes on the street since the 2002 VRod was introduced. I agree with you though, the XG is a nice bike. Maybe next spring I will test ride one, and park it in the garage next to my HD Street Rod.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Whattaya mean "at last- liquid cooled"? HD has had liquid cooled bikes on the street since the 2002 VRod was introduced. I agree with you though, the XG is a nice bike. Maybe next spring I will test ride one, and park it in the garage next to my HD Street Rod.

What? You have room in your garage? You obviously need another Harley. LOL

·
Registered
261 Posts
What? You have room in your garage? You obviously need another Harley. LOL
Well.... I will have room if I sell the Sportster. It has been growing roots into garage floor since I got my VRSCR in May. After riding the R, I found it hard to go back to the Sporty. I like the R's engine, brakes, suspension, and handling so much better. I suspect I would like the XG750 as well. I finally got to see one in person and sit on it, but no test ride. Riding season is coming to close here soon, so hopefully next spring....

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Well.... I will have room if I sell the Sportster. It has been growing roots into garage floor since I got my VRSCR in May. After riding the R, I found it hard to go back to the Sporty. I like the R's engine, brakes, suspension, and handling so much better. I suspect I would like the XG750 as well. I finally got to see one in person and sit on it, but no test ride. Riding season is coming to close here soon, so hopefully next spring....

The VRSCR owners I've met tend to really like them over the 45 degree pushrod Harleys so I can see how you might be letting that Sportster sit in the garage. They're obviously two different types of motorcycle used for different reasons and whatever fits your riding needs is the right motorcycle for you. Already being a Harley owner I'm sure that you're aware of the fact that December is probably the best month of the year if you want to swing a really good deal at your local Harley dealership. It's the end of the year for them and it's also the middle of the worst part of the year for selling motorcycles.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Already being a Harley owner I'm sure that you're aware of the fact that December is probably the best month of the year if you want to swing a really good deal at your local Harley dealership. It's the end of the year for them and it's also the middle of the worst part of the year for selling motorcycles.
Good point Stone, I have been going to take my Sporty out to the stealer and see what they would give me for trade in value. They had one each XG500 and 750, both gloss black, sitting on the showroom floor. I borrowed money for the VRSCR back in May, and haven't quite paid it off yet. I kinda hate to pile on another debt load, so I have sort of been purposely procrastinating with the trip.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Good point Stone, I have been going to take my Sporty out to the stealer and see what they would give me for trade in value. They had one each XG500 and 750, both gloss black, sitting on the showroom floor. I borrowed money for the VRSCR back in May, and haven't quite paid it off yet. I kinda hate to pile on another debt load, so I have sort of been purposely procrastinating with the trip.
Like you I don't like debt or monthly payments which is why I've always saved up to make motorcycle purchases. In fact I've only had two car loans (one was a no interest loan on my 2012 Fiat) and one motorcycle loan (for only $4,000 for my XL50 that I paid off in six months and I had the money but let my wife use it for a trip to Italy) in my entire life.

I'd probably put off buying a Street until the other loan is paid off but everyone's finances are different. The trade-in value of the Sportster isn't going to really change much by the delay. You might consider selling the Sportster before hand to pay of the V-Rod as you'll get more from it through a private sale than as a trade-in.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
The same goes for a ton of products as many of you know this is the time of the year where they're trying to get rid of 2014 models.

My Harley dealer has all of the 2014 models marked down $1000 already. Of course the Street is a 2015 model and not a 2014 but they could still offer a discount before the end of the year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts