Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Street 750 with about 3000 miles on it, it has developed an intermittent loud metallic sounding rattle. It is almost always noticeable just after starting, and is intermittent when riding. No major noticable performance issues.
Video here:
The sound is very noticeable at 20 seconds in. I know it is difficult to diagnose anything just by sound, but does anyone have an idea as to what this could be? Waiting to get a call back from the dealer as to getting it checked out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Difficult to pinpoint, seems to be coming from a lower area like the crankcase, around the middle or closer to the front.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Engine noise

Hello
I also have a new street 750 which has done just about 150 miles making the same sound when idling or in low gear. What was the input from your dealer. If you could share the information I will be grateful.
Thanks
Bala

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check and tighten all fittings on your exhaust system

I would check all of your fittings on your exhaust system, to make sure a nut, washer, or heat shield fitting hasn't came slightly lose from your 1st 3000 miles on your new bike. And check your oil level to make sure it is also set at the correct level.

I changed my oil out at 500 miles, and put in HD Screaming Eagle 20W50 full synthetic with a new filter. I notice that the engine did run smoother with the full synthetic oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello
I also have a new street 750 which has done just about 150 miles making the same sound when idling or in low gear. What was the input from your dealer. If you could share the information I will be grateful.
Thanks
Bala
My bike has been at the dealer for a week, I called to check on the status and was told their technicians haven't heard this sound on a street before and haven't been able to diagnose the issue yet, and are waiting to hear from corporate as to what they should do going forward. Not really sure what they're going to be doing with it yet.
If your bike is still making this sound, take it to the dealer asap.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks----- I sent my Service Head your video. He too was unable to make much out of it. On closer listening mine is more of a clattering type of sound which disappears when changing to 3rd gear and beyond. In any case I am taking the bike for the 1st service the week after. They will be examining the bike then. Till such time I have been asked to continue riding. Will definitely post the outcome.
Thanks once again for the information.
Bala

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks----- I sent my Service Head your video. He too was unable to make much out of it. On closer listening mine is more of a clattering type of sound which disappears when changing to 3rd gear and beyond. In any case I am taking the bike for the 1st service the week after. They will be examining the bike then. Till such time I have been asked to continue riding. Will definitely post the outcome.
Thanks once again for the information.
Bala
Ends up the valve lash was out of adjustment. Apparently this bike is the only one Harley makes that does not have self-adjusting valves. Took two weeks to fix because they were waiting on gaskets to be shipped. They said normally this is an adjustment that would be made at 15,000 miles. My bike has 3,000. Will be picking it up this weekend!

·
Registered
6 Posts
sounds like a rattle like a heat shield on the exhaust is loose or up against something like your foot controls.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just got my bike after first service. The noise seems to have disappeared and also the bike feels much smoother while riding.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I had a bolt from my air intake cover back out and was causing some rattling noises on my own 2015 750. Took off the air cover remove the loose bolt applied blue thread lock and reinstalled with proper torque for both bolts. No more issues afterwards.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The bolt that holds the Air Box to the Front Cylinder was only held in by a couple of threads on mine. Found it when I cleaned the at filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the bike back finally. They adjusted the valve lash on an exhaust valve that was excessively loose. Got rid of the noise and the bike is running beautifully, better than when I bought it used a few thousand miles back. Major improvement in low speed and low rpm performance. I've seen quite a few other threads talking about poor low speed performance, I wonder if some dealers don't know that this model doesn't have self-adjusting valves and maybe some of these bikes have valves that are out of spec?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts