Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Bandera, Texas
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a run out to my retirement property today. Power is in, water is in and most excavating is done. Things are starting to shape up. We drove our car since we took our fur babies, they had a blast! Here's the Relive Video, notice the top speed, my wife was driving.

·
Administrator
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wife and I went this past weekend to our retirement property, we drove this time as we needed to take some stuff.

Sometimes the small things can really make life so right. The wife and I made a trip to Bandera to take delivery of our shed at our retirement property. Here's the shed after it was delivered:

Sky Property Ecoregion Window Fixture

We had been doing some land clearing and was getting to be dinner time. I really didn't want to stop yet as I was trimming some trees. Carla said she would run into town and get something to bring back. I continue my tree trimming duties and throwing the branches down the hill. Carla gets back as I'm carrying debris over to the pile. She said give her a few minutes then come to top of property and eat. So I head up to eat and find this:

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Branch Tree

Botany Umbrella Organism Grass Grass family

She had gotten a table cloth and a candle along with dinner. This was the first time we had eaten here and she wanted to do something a little special. Isn't she a sweetie? So we sat there and ate, looking to the left and seeing this:

Water Cloud Sky Plant community Plant

Then looking to the right and seeing this:

Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Ecoregion

We sat up there until the sun went down. Don't think we said more than 10 words, just enjoying each other's company and thinking about the journey we are embarking on at this time of our lives. I'm so blessed to be getting to share this with the love of my life. Please she loves motorcycles. :ROFLMAO:

Sky Atmosphere Plant Ecoregion Leaf

Next week I'm going on the bike, hopefully the weather holds out. Here's a quick video of most of the trip.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Sometimes someone does something that leaves you lost for words, then you feel your emotions well up inside you and the true meaning of happiness dawns on you. I do hope that you and Carla spend many happy moments on your retirement plot.

·
Administrator
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I officially retire April 1st, just 8 more days. My land improvements have been done and cabin will be moved down in two weeks. Here's a before and after shot of cabin pad.

Plant Plant community Ecoregion Nature Natural environment

The photos were taken from the same spot. The blue line is where cabin will sit.

Sky Plant Land lot Tree Vehicle

Here's the layout, the driveway will have a carport.

Slope Rectangle Building Urban design Font

The final should look like this

Building Window Shade Wood Plant

Here's video from our cabin walk through last week

·
Registered
28 Posts
I officially retire April 1st, just 8 more days. My land improvements have been done and cabin will be moved down in two weeks. Here's a before and after shot of cabin pad.

View attachment 28449

The photos were taken from the same spot. The blue line is where cabin will sit.

View attachment 28450

Here's the layout, the driveway will have a carport.

View attachment 28451

The final should look like this

View attachment 28452

Here's video from our cabin walk through last week

The Man with the Plan . . . Excellent design & and lay out. Extra points for thinking about your dog from the git-go. Well done.

·
Administrator
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Man with the Plan . . . Excellent design & and lay out. Extra points for thinking about your dog from the git-go. Well done.
Thanks, I've been planning this for a while. I will be 100% debt free and retirement income about 80% of present without a mortgage, we've been blessed. Our fur babies are important to us so a fenced-in dog run has always been in the plans. I've played general contractor on this and have had challenges. But the end is in sight after a few more things to do after we move in.

Water Water resources Ecoregion Natural environment Map

·
Administrator
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wanted to give a quick update, cabin in place. It was cool watching them bring it down. This video is them turning off main road heading to my property.

This is the last turn coming down dirt road to property.

Here it is placed.

Sky Ecoregion Building Tree Land lot

Sky Ecoregion Window Fixture Land lot

Going to be after we move in, April 20th, before wrap around deck is built. Make some temp steps and doggie ramp till then. I have 2 little 25 pound dogs, one with bad hips and can't do steps, you pet owners can relate to taking care of the fur babies.

Door Fixture Stairs Wood Building

Sky Wood Land lot Road surface Shade

Made a quick drone video after cabin in place. Yea, poor video, I've only flown this thing a few times.

I take my bike over next week, meeting AC company to install out side unit. We have power and water now. Getting close to being living there full time.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Slowly it all falls into place. Enjoyed the overhead placement of the cabin and garage/shed. Dig the Texas star on the front door. As things on the plot progress, post us some updates please.

Since the 31st my wife and I are up in Pretoria on the western side, on a small holding (a mini farm?) as our oldest granddaughter turned 21 on the 5th and her sister turns 19 on the 11th, so it has been a party week. With no motorcycle to sit on up here, your post and others on the forum are my only way of feeling I am in touch with the real world.

·
Administrator
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks @Propnut. My oldest grandchild turned 21 last year, hasn't time gone by quickly. I can definitely post more updates. This move and retirement is as exciting for me as getting a new bike. I'm playing general contractor on this to save a little money, plus I actually enjoy it. I had paid for site pad to be flattened, water and power lines to be run under ground. Here's a before and after shot.

Plant Plant community Ecoregion Automotive tire Natural environment

The power and water was within about 10 feet of cabin and shed, so after cabin was placed had to finish trenching. This land is mostly rock and caliche, hard as heck. Digging was slow and fortunately one on my son's and grandson's came to give me a hand.

Road surface Wood Asphalt Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Tool Road surface Hand tool Asphalt Garden tool

Automotive tire Bumper Wood Road surface Tire

Yes, I have power, 80 Amp service with 220, for welder, with AC and water to my shed.

Property Plant community Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tree

Everything is a work in progress right now, but we are getting close. Plan is to get it comfortable enough to live in and complete things like wrap around porch, driveway, fenced-in area for dogs, etc, once we get moved in. Luckily my health is still good enough to complete this. But gotta admit, I was really sore after all that digging. Here's a comparison of Lake water level from 2018 and today. When we first looked at this land, the lake had water. There's a major drought right now that effect this area every few years. It was the water view that sold us on this land.

Water Sky Water resources Plant community Ecoregion

Across the road, within a stone throw is a lake finger. Here's that comparison.

Water Cloud Plant Sky Water resources

Hopefully I didn't bore y'all too much.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Never bored to see progress like you have posted. Been a hectic time over in my home town where my son looks after me house while we are up in Pretoria. It has been raining hard since last Thursday in Durban and over the last 24 hours ending 06:00 (SA time) this morning they have had 242mm of rain. Roads washed away, some houses flooded and the area where we stay cut off from Durban town, all access roads under water. The dual lane double freeway (same as an interstate) leading south out of Durban is flooded with shipping containers shown floating down the freeway.

Back to reality. It took me around three months to adjust to being on retirement. From my house I overlook the container terminal where I was working, so you keep wondering what is happening. Finally you realise that their troubles are no longer your troubles. Then a strange thing happens. You loose track of time. The day is no longer broken up into hours. A few months down the line the date seems to fall away and you don't know if it is the 12th or the 15th. Not much later the days all seem to merge into one. Who cares if it is Monday or Saturday, you are now enjoying your pension.

Final question. How is your dish water, bath water and toilet water disposed of?

·
Administrator
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the heads up on relaxing. I got up at 3:15am for years to be at work at 5am. I'm still waking up early, 4am or so. Things are busy right now getting ready for move. Tomorrow the wife and I head to cabin meeting the AC guy there. That's the last piece of the puzzle for cabin to be livable. I taking the bike and leaving it there this time locked in shed. It's the first long ride, 4 hours, on this bike. The deck, driveway, carport, etc, will be my projects once we move there on April 20th. We have a septic tank installed for waste water, was one on the larger expenses of land enhancements.

Wood Bedrock Landscape Gas Recreation

Tree Road surface Plant Grass Slope

Here's septic complete before cabin moved in.

Sky Plant community Plant Ecoregion Vehicle

Lots of digging, which I did most of to curb costs. This ground is very rocky and makes for tough digging, I was definitely sore afterwards.

Road surface Asphalt Wood Floor Wall

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Motor vehicle

Asphalt Road surface Floor Composite material Gas

We now have running water.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on the grey water. When I saw that the ground was hard and that your property is close to a water body, I suspected the septic tank. You have been a few times to the property on the old H-D, so I look forward to a trip comparison on the temp bike. Now what day is it?

·
Administrator
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Funny you should say what day it is. Going on second week of retirement and the days do run together. I want for years always planning stuff around time off from work, now don't have to. We leave mid morning to head over. Slight chance of rain and windy, but really don't care. Going to be on bike most of day heading to my retirement property, couldn't get much better. I'm sure my ride won't be as comfortable on this bike as my old man mobile easy chair, but it's definitely should be more fun once I hit the twisting roads. The only bummer part is the first three hours is on interstate. Here's my route.

Ecoregion Map World Line Font

·
Administrator
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Made it to Bandera mid afternoon. Got rained on for about an hour. Very strong crosswind that definitely got my attention a time or two. But overall a very nice ride. Bike did well and can see many long day trips in this bikes future. Here’s the Relive video, I’ll post more later but don’t have good enough signal to upload to YouTube

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
863 Posts
I've sat on a few Vulcans in the used show rooms. I always found them to be a large enough frame that I could stretch out on but not too large for the around town riding I do.

Reactions: Lesblank

·
Administrator
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To bore y'all some more. I'm back in Houston as movers come tomorrow and I say goodbye to Houston for the last time. New cabin now has water, power and AC. Wife put up self paper and other things getting ready for move. I added temporary steps till I get deck built. I've got two small dogs and one has bad hips so can't do steps. So I built doggie ramp and enclosure for them, not permanent but works for now.

Building Stairs Fixture Door Wood

Plant Window Building Land lot House

So I put bike down for a short nap in the shed till I get back. It fits pretty well even with extra stuff in there right now. I was concerned about how difficult it would be getting bike up ramp, but was actually really easy.

Wheel Tire Property Vehicle Wood

·
Registered
10 Posts
Made a run out to my retirement property today. Power is in, water is in and most excavating is done. Things are starting to shape up. We drove our car since we took our fur babies, they had a blast! Here's the Relive Video, notice the top speed, my wife was driving.

You are going to LOVE living in Bandera. My in laws used to live out there and we'd go visit every weekend. I live on the far NW side of San Antonio and ride with a buddy out to Bandera and all other parts of the Hill Country every weekend! If you haven't heard of the "Twisted Sisters" ride, you are gonna live right in the middle of it. My favorite ride, the most beautiful ride i know of is out to Leaky TX, not too far from Bandera.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts