Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any battery issues with their Street?

I am at 1k miles and gone through 2 batterys...

I dont know if its luck of the draw I got two bad batterys or if its possible a charging issue.

·
Registered
159 Posts

I dont know if its luck of the draw I got two bad batterys or if its possible a charging issue.
Strange, we'll have to see what others say. I haven't had any battery issues and I'm at about 1200 miles.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I don't know if it helps, in this case, but I bought a H-D Battery Tender <$50.00 and keep the bike on it at all times when not in use. I've had good results doing this with previous bikes. When I see the hassle involved in getting to the battery on STREETs I'll try to avoid having to deal with it as long as possible.

·
Registered
168 Posts

+1 on the battery tender. The XG500 and XG750 both have a quick connect "pigtail" installed to plug in a battery tender with absolutely no hassle. Got my dealer to throw one in with the bike but it would only be like $35 here is the one I have

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts

It is not normal. Have your dealer check alternator / voltage regulator for proper operation and to check that something is not constantly discharging your battery. I had to use the battery tender / charger only after I discharged the battery by mistake. Even if my bike sits for 2 weeks, the battery does not get discharged.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is common if the bike is not ridden much. but have them check your charging system voltage regulators can sometimes fail only when they get hot so if they check it when the bike is not at operating temperature it will check out good. It is good practice for all dealers to install a Battery Tender on ALL bikes.The battery will discharge and you need to keep it topped off.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I've also used a battery tender on my bikes.

so far no problems with my street's battery.
i'd definitely get it checked out so your not stranded out some where.

(I just changed the factory battery on my other bike, it is a 2006 model.
I always kept it on a tender and hadn't ridden it much the last couple of years, but that factory battery lasted nearly 9 years!)

I thought about framing that one...lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't had battery issues at all, except when I bought it off the showroom. Some guy at the dealership left it in ACC and drained the battery.

They charged it, I charged it, left it on the trickle charger a while, never had an issue since. Got about 550 miles give or take.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've had my 500 for just over a year now, and haven't had any issues with the battery. I've gone multiple periods of not riding it for up to a couple months, and never use a tender. The garage temp certainly never drops below freezing though either.... That may help.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts

Check the chassis grounds and the ground to the battery.

Check the ground from the voltage regulator to the frame.

Need to measure your voltage when started at the battery terminals.

Should be about 12.78 or so......

Then watch it when you shut the bike off. Should climb down to about 12.38 and stay there over night.

If all those are good I would suspect a voltage regulator problem is cooking the battery.

·
Registered
766 Posts

i'd take that problem straight to the dealer and pound on the counter!....I wouldn't waste my time trying to trouble shoot anything! that bike is too new for you to have to be working on it!

that's their job!!!!!, if you can get the bums to do it!, much less do it right the first time!!!!...good luck !...I sure as heck hadn't had any with the clowns I have to deal with!

·
Registered
137 Posts
You are right!!! it is a new bike and it is not your job to check anything as it is under Warranty.
I think the other post was informative about how to check your charging system .
An educated consumer is anyone's best customer .
You will get nowhere being pissed at the counter guy who is there to collect info and pass it on to a tech.Electrical problems can be frustrating for both sides.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You are right!!! it is a new bike and it is not your job to check anything as it is under Warranty.
I think the other post was informative about how to check your charging system .
You will get nowhere being pissed at the counter guy who is there to collect info and pass it on to a tech. Intermittent electrical problems can be frustrating for both sides.

·
Registered
766 Posts
You will get nowhere being pissed at the counter guy who is there to collect info and pass it on to a tech. Intermittent electrical problems can be frustrating for both sides.
2 batteries in 1000k miles, I think anyone would have a right to be "not happy"

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry the battery itself was bad... I just have bad luck on batteries it seems.. on the 3rd battery. I do use a tender when I am not riding as well. The tender at first didnt have an issue with the battery then after sitting for two weeks it wouldnt take a charge.

The dealer did replace it with no issues.

As far as working on the bike... even though its new.. Thats why I got a bike.. take it apart put it back together.. thats half the fun.

Now I just need them to stop ignoring the lag and leap issue!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Have you made certain you're turning the bike off completely? I know of two occasions I thought I'd turned it off and the only sign I hadn't was the small bulb in the headlight was on. The key was not in the ignition, but it was giving power. Didn't think the ignition switch would let me do that, but it did. Now I'm always certain it's off by making sure I set the steering lock.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts