Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am considering buying a Lithium Battery to replace the Stock unit. I am concerned about the Posts. Haven't taken mine apart yet. Are the Cables On Top Off the Posts? Or are the Side Mounted? Some of the batteries I have looked at have their Posts slightly offset. Others have the Posts on the edge. Read one review, By a Sportster owner stating it was a Pain because he didn't have Spacers.

Thanks All

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I decided to give it a try. Ordered the BikeMaster unit this morning from Bike Bandit. Couple of hours later, I get an e-mail. Informed it is B/O until???? No ship date. Maybe I should just cancel it. I'm also considering a Hard Drive Lithium. A little more expensive. 270CCA vs. BikeMaster 250.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Keep us posted on your success. I am not a big fan of having to keep lead acid batteries topped off over winter and Lithium shouldn't have the same problem.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a Western Power Sports in the Majesty. Worked fine. Came back up after the Dealer let it discharge.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Posts are on the top.

BTW, aren't these "Glass Mat" batteries, and NOT lead acid?

My impression was that these were AGM batteries?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, these bikes ship with AGM batteries. Far lower maintenance, but still has the typical problem where if you let them go dead, and leave them dead for a season or two, they'll never hold a charge again. Whereas Lithium Ion batteries are meant to go dead, we do it to our phones on a daily basis.
AGM's should be able to survive the winter season without being on a tender, if the bike has no parasitic draw on it. So as long as you haven't installed an alarm/recovery/tracking system or wired in a USB port that's always on, the battery should maintain it's charge just fine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had my last bike for 10 years and always had an AGM battery. Never had any problems. I just wanted to add that when I bought the battery, the seller said they would not warranty it unless I also bought the "Battery Fighter" (oddly named) tender, which also works great.

You can check out this PDF about what makes the Battery Fighter different (especially the 2nd page):
http://www.master-instruments.com.au/files/data_sheets/Chargers/SLA Chargers/Battery Fighter Charging Explaination.pdf

I bought it here:
Yamaha XS650 Deluxe AGM Battery Charger 12 volt motorcycle ATV - Mike's XS - New OEM & Vintage Parts Supply Warehouse

Good luck!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I should also mention that the Battery Fighter has a connector that will plug right into your XG. No tools required. No taking anything off of the bike.

·
Registered
116 Posts
With all the headaches the Lithium batteries are causing in the aviation industry, I would not want one in my bike.
Pretty much anything and everything you use has a lithium battery. Phone, laptop, camera, power tools, etc... Nothing inherently wrong with them.

Basically they require that you charge them properly (bad charging circuits is what causes those hover boards to go up in smoke), you don't short them out, and you don't puncture them. Honestly no different than any battery, just the consequences are a bit more...impressive if you do :)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I purchased a set of those from Northern Tools. Problem I found id, You need Direct Sunlight for the to work. The Blue LED blinks when t is charging.

I've been having some issues with my Battery and or Charger/Tender. Today the Schumacher SP6 was blinking "Bad Battery". Reset it. Then it was charging again. Rolled it outside the garage. A few minutes later I went to start. Sounded Sluggish. It was somewhere between 55-60F this morning. Cold engine. Took the charger with me. Rode to the bank. Started right up when I left. Hot engine. Rode to my dealer. They checked my charger on another battery. Said was "Discharging". Not charging. Took the charger back to Advance Auto Parts. They exchanged it. Rode home. Plugged it in. Seemed like it was ok. 96% and charging. Waited a few minutes for it to reach Maintain mode. Checked the battery V 12.68. Attached the harness. Now read 86%. Charged until Maintain mode. I took it off the (Original) charger while cleaning. Plugged it back in, read 70%. Did not start the bike or turn the key on. If its a Draw, The bike started after sitting overnight every time I did not attach the Tender.

Dealer did not test the battery.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It sounds like a bad cell possibly, but almost impossible to diagnose over the internet without being there physically to test it. I would say just replace the battery with a comparable one to stock, same group size, same amperage rating, and there shouldn't be a problem unless you have accessories or something causing a parasitic draw and discharging your battery fully... The PCM will over time drain a battery but we are talking months of months...

Hold the dealership and the incompetent so called "technicians" accountable for their inactions and rush job. Get a manager on both sides, sales, parts, service **** even the owner and vent to them about your frustration and apathetic actions by the service department or whoever you are having problems with, something will get done, they don't want to lose their reputation, Google reviews, and bad mouthing of their department. If they don't care and blow you off, then that's the type of people they are and move on... Find a better dealership that suits your needs. That happened to me locally and I thought they were the only ones available until I did my research and found out within an hours ride, there are 4 other dealerships besides that one I had problems with... Never again did I set foot there and I don't need them for anything ever, so I don't go...

You should be fine either starting it up every so often or using a tender on it here and there... Do not leave it hooked up all down season long, give the battery time to recover so to speak. I have a parts truck (1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max) that I start every few weeks when I have either a ton of scrap or I have engines or transmissions to pick up, which is not everyday and it starts with no problem, never use a tender or a charger ever, I just made sure the battery is in VGC and no abnormalities with either the charging system or the draws aren't out of specifications.

·
Registered
231 Posts
People get caught up too much in the chemical aspect of batteries so much, they lose sight of the purpose... Lead acid (sulfuric), AGM (Glass mat), NiMh (Nickel Metal Hydride), Li-Ion (Lithium Ion), its either weight savings or a higher amperage or maintenance free, whatever you choose, just choose something reasonable, and that works. Obviously technology keeps growing and making strides in the electrical side of things, but go with what you know and what works and what is proven. Not saying don't take chances, but be leery of some new ultimate lifeproof battery without it being tested first.

I remember the R12 to R134a scandal of the 90s and all these big companies were pushing their new refrigerant and a lot of the times, it was propane, mix of dangerous chemicals, carbon dioxide, and all this other EPA banned for refrigerant use chemicals...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I went to the Chapel, The General Manager was behind the Service Counter. He had one of the Techs check the Charger. The New one is doing the same thing. Havent seen the Bad Battery message yet. The State of Charge % is the same.

I ordered a Hard Drive Lithium from Bike Bandit. They're Lighter. And charge Faster. Had a WPS in the Majesty. Loved it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Unplugged the SP6 last night for 20 minutes. Did not turn on the bike. Plugged it back in 20 minutes later. 85%. Tried my fathers SP3. Read 95% for a few minutes. Put it back on his bike. Plugged the SP6 back in. Now reading 96%?? This morning reads "Auto Maintain"

Debating if I should just take my Tucson into work today?? As it is currently 44F. Its a Lease. With 10k mileage limit per year. Only had it a month and a half. Now have 1400 Miles.

·
Registered
231 Posts
When I went to the Chapel, The General Manager was behind the Service Counter. He had one of the Techs check the Charger. The New one is doing the same thing. Havent seen the Bad Battery message yet. The State of Charge % is the same.

I ordered a Hard Drive Lithium from Bike Bandit. They're Lighter. And charge Faster. Had a WPS in the Majesty. Loved it.
Something is causing a huge parasitic draw on your system, they didn't load test the battery either?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If there is a Draw, Never had a Dead Battery. Even sitting overnight. What I am thinking is, The Battery doesn't have the Reserve Capacity. Wont know for sure until I remove it and Test it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts