Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the discussions around access to the Battery on a Street 750 but never saw an answer on how to access it. For starters the seat strap wraps around and under the seat. Whats the beast way to get to the seat strap fastening?:|

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The Strap is mounted under the seat. Remove the Philips Screw. Slide Seat rearward to release front clip. Slide forward through the Strap. 2 screws are right next to the computer

·
Registered
504 Posts
I hope I never have to access the battery!

Thankfully the dealer already had installed a battery tender plug.

The owners manual has 5 pages on how to remove the battery!

Reactions: JONBERG

·
Registered
766 Posts
seems interesting, but I read in my Street 750 owners manual where it suggest not using a battery tender due to the type of battery these bikes have.

the book says to disconnect the leads and place the battery on a regular battery charger and not to leave these on any kind of charger for any extended length of time...I.E...NO trickle chargers.

I use a tender on my other bike, but the battery is a different type of battery than the HD street models have.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I used a Tender on my Majesty. Had an AGM battery. Lasted 5 years. Make sure you use one rated for AGM.

·
Registered
766 Posts
i just changed the battery on my ST last year. the factory battery lasted 9 years before it finally gave out, thought that was pretty good too.
i only used a tender on it the last couple years.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I still have the factory battery from the Majesty. It was replaced back in May. Before the MS: Coast the Coast Tour. As I didn't want a failure during the 170 Mile Bike Tour. That weekend I did about 400 miles in 2 days with all my traveling.

·
Registered
309 Posts
@Rock270,

"but I read in my Street 750 owners manual where it suggest not using a battery tender due to the type of battery these bikes have."

According to my OWNER'S MANUAL, page 92 right side, second paragraph "a Harley-Davidson ...tender is recommended." Further, it sites a: SUPERSMART BATTERY TENDER (94654-98B) as one to be used. This is [exactly] what I'm using at present. Am I misunderstanding something?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I am using the same Diehard 3A Fully Automatic charger that was used on the Majesty. Which had a AGM battery. The Diehard charger is made by Schumacher. And has a Desulfation Mode(Automatic)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Would it be ok if I used a solar powered battery tender?

·
Registered
766 Posts
@Rock270,

"but I read in my Street 750 owners manual where it suggest not using a battery tender due to the type of battery these bikes have."

According to my OWNER'S MANUAL, page 92 right side, second paragraph "a Harley-Davidson ...tender is recommended." Further, it sites a: SUPERSMART BATTERY TENDER (94654-98B) as one to be used. This is [exactly] what I'm using at present. Am I misunderstanding something?

i would guess if HD suggest a particular one, then it should be fine.
maybe there are different types of battery tenders that are for different types of motorcycle batteries, which i never knew of before.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It will be fine. As long as it is Fully Automatic. And rated for AGM.

I am currently using a Schumacher SP6 on mine. Shows the Percentage, And if the battery is Bad. Also has a Lithium Mode for when I change the battery.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Had my FUN on Sunday. Harley Demo Day!!! Got to Ride a LowRider S 110 CI SE!!!! Way more bike than our XG models.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The thing about AGM batteries is that you should never let them go completely dead. I had AGM batteries in my Yamaha for the past 10 years and they last several years with proper maintenance. I have been using a "Battery Fighter" (odd name) charger. I always disconnect it when it reaches "maintenance mode" (referred to as "float charge" here). I try not to let my battery go more than a month without being charged.

Battery Fighter® ’s 4-Step Constant Current Charging Program:

Step 1) Qualification:
Qualification check to ensures safety by verifying battery status prior to charging. Now you will know if batteries need replacing without guessing.

Step 2) Bulk Charge:
Constant current at 1.25 Amps to raises battery voltage to be approximately 80% recharged. Then current drop gradually until voltage reaches 14.4 VDC. When battery voltage reaches 14.4 VDC, will transit to Step 3, Absorption Charge.

Step 3) Absorption Charge:
Holds voltage at 14.4VDC and forces current to fully charge the battery. When battery-charging current drops below 0.1 Amp or until 6 to 8 hours have elapsed, will transit to Step 4, Float Charge.

Step 4) Float Charge:
Maintain fully charged battery at 13.2VDC float voltage. If an external load is applied to the battery while the charger is in Step 4, Float Charge, and if the battery voltage drops below a range between 12.0 to 12.5 VDC, then the charge cycle will restart.

·
Registered
504 Posts
p.s. my XG750 came with a plug attached that allows me to plug in the charger without removing the seat.
From what I understand, pretty much all of them did

Reactions: happydaze

·
Registered
116 Posts
Haven't set this up for my motorcycle yet as I have been driving enough to keep it charged so far, but I have a pretty good method for charging batteries. Basically I have a WeMo switched outlet from Belkin set up with a bunch of battery charges hanging off of it. I use a website/app called IFTTT (If this then that) to turn the WeMo switch on for 12 hours the first day of each month. This has the benefit of charging the batteries once a month without worrying about problems related to trickle charging. I have been able to keep a bunch of lead acid batteries I have working long past their expected life this way. I will plug a charger in for the motorcycle battery whenever winter comes a calling and I can't ride for a bit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts