Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 HD Street 750
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi completely new to the forum, have a 2018 model and I was wondering if there are any tanks that fit that are bigger?

TIA

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
762 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You might want to head over to the new members area and do a full and proper introduction telling us a bit about yourself and maybe posting some bike pics.

I forget whether it was this forum or another one that I frequent where there was a thread that mentioned using the Sportster peanut tank on a Street. It wasn't a bolt in process and some frame cutting and reinforcing was needed to get it to not sit up strangely high. The fuel pump wiring also needed changed.. Theoretically if the smaller tank worked out the w4.5 gallon tank from the 1200 Custom should work as well.

I'm a big guy, so by the time I've ridden the 125 miles that the stock tank goes I'm ready to get off the bike and stretch a bit.

Reactions: Lesblank

·
Super Moderator
762 Posts
Theoretically if the smaller tank worked out the 4.5 gallon tank from the 1200 Custom should work as well.
I say that because since 2007 all of the Sportsters have been fuel injected the same as the Street. The tanks are interchangeable between Sportster models, so if one worked then any of them would.

That individual used the fuel pump from the Sportster. He was able to use that, but need to change the pin outs of the power plug coming from the bike.

The installation required some chopping of the frame to lower the tank. He welded in a plate to bridge the gap, but never provided specifics.

·
Registered
2018 HD Street 750
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I say that because since 2007 all of the Sportsters have been fuel injected the same as the Street. The tanks are interchangeable between Sportster models, so if one worked then any of them would.

That individual used the fuel pump from the Sportster. He was able to use that, but need to change the pin outs of the power plug coming from the bike.

The installation required some chopping of the frame to lower the tank. He welded in a plate to bridge the gap, but never provided specifics.
The information I am after is what tanks off what models, top be precise. Stock holds 13.10 litres / 3.46 gallons and I'd want something that is a decent increase to warrant the effort and know which models/years will help me narrow it down.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
762 Posts
Any post 2007 Sportster will have fuel injection, so that's a requirement.

I believe the 1200 Custom, 883 Superlow, and Sportster 48 all had the 4.5 gallon (17 liter) gas tank. There may be others.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi completely new to the forum, have a 2018 model and I was wondering if there are any tanks that fit that are bigger?

TIA
I would say if you can plan the ride it’s better to keep the stock. If you want to get it done there should be many aftermarket sportster tanks with EFI that will fit with some fabrication ( will not recommend any cut into the stock frame)…

cheers.

·
Super Moderator
762 Posts
I pretty much agree with @CISA2016 on keeping the stock tank. It can be done, but requires frame work and fabrication that I would just as soon avoid.

I routinely get the fuel light around 125-140 miles, which is 1.5-2 hours of riding depending on the roads and riding conditions. At the light the bike probably has another 50-60 miles of range but I don't. At that point I'm usually wondering if my legs are going to straighten out and support the bike at the next stop sign.

If you really want to dip into that reserve after the fuel light comes on I would give serious thought to getting an emergency fuel bottle and mount that to the bike somewhere.

Reactions: CISA2016
1 - 7 of 7 Posts