Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that the tire size was specifically made to ensure excellent handling on the street, has anybody added bigger tires? If so, how is the handling?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have read that the tire size was specifically made to ensure excellent handling on the street, has anybody added bigger tires? If so, how is the handling?
I haven't added bigger tires, but I can think of two major effects..
1. If the diameter changes, then handling is affected majorly, since the CG of the bike becomes higher as well as the turning radius increases. The actual impact can be felt on riding. In addition the odometer and the speedometer readings will become inaccurate.
2. The drag will increase leading to reduced pickup and higher fuel consumption. Of course this effect is majorly felt with wider tires.
Hope this helps in answering your query.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply !

It's probably not worth it for a daily driver is it ?

I liked the look of a bigger front tire/wheel

·
Registered
155 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "bigger". Wider? Taller?

I would dearly love to have the option to run 18's front and rear for a better looking bike, more choices of rubber, and a better turn in with a properly shaped sportbike tire. Most importantly, the 15 out back is just, it's just awful.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ayedee - With a larger tire, the turning radius does not necessarily increase. With our bikes in particular, it would allow for the ground clearance our bikes lack, allowing for heavier turn in and thus decrease the necessary turning radius. I also believe it would positively impact handling, making it feel much more solid and planted in turns than it currently does. If I can ever find out exactly which hubs everyone is using to put spokes on their Street, I'll be upgrading to 18" wheels front and rear. The only down side will be the inaccurate speedometer and tripometer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Howlonwheels- I was thinking taller maybes 18s like you said or maybe 18 rear 19 front. As far as wider, l can see myself maybe going a little wider on the rear tire, nothing too crazy

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have below option in mind:
1) Front: 110/70 x 17 ( Michelin or Pirelli both have many such options in this size)
2) Rear: 150/90 x 15 (Preferably Michelin Commander 2)

The above two sizes wont affect much in GC and turning but infact aid in more traction and ride quality. Plus tyres like Commander 2 are far better than original Michelin or even MRF which are supplied with Street sold in India.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ayedee - With a larger tire, the turning radius does not necessarily increase. With our bikes in particular, it would allow for the ground clearance our bikes lack, allowing for heavier turn in and thus decrease the necessary turning radius. I also believe it would positively impact handling, making it feel much more solid and planted in turns than it currently does. If I can ever find out exactly which hubs everyone is using to put spokes on their Street, I'll be upgrading to 18" wheels front and rear. The only down side will be the inaccurate speedometer and tripometer.
I won't disagree with you since I have made no changes and therefore haven't experienced any such impact. I was only talking theoretically. Seems you may have a point as I can imagine a possible decrease in turning radius. However, having said that, an 18 inch wheel would require greater force and therefore a change in the sprocket to get the required energy to counter the additional drag. Aesthetically, I totally agree it will give the bike a more sporty look. Whether it feels more solid and planted, well, I'll take your word for it.
I would love to hear from you and all others who make such transitions about the handling and feel of the bike after these mods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was very unhappy about the lack of replacement tires available, especially for the rear 15" rim. I hated the OEM rear tire because of its flatness across the tread. I did a lot of searching and researching and determined that the best solution, for me, came from Shinko. For the front I went with the SR 740, 110/70H-17 and in the rear the SR 568, 160/60H-15. Both are wider than stock, but a little shorter, as well. Speedometer, checked against a GPS app on my iPhone, is relatively unaffected,p but the odometer, checked against my buddy's Night Rod, showed about 4% more than his. Despite those minor discrepancies, I couldn't be happier with my choice. They fit well, look great, handle incredibly well (wet and dry) and the cost for both was less than what the front Michelin costs. A LOT less. If I only get 5,000 miles from them, I come out ahead, but I expect to do better than that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was very unhappy about the lack of replacement tires available, especially for the rear 15" rim. I hated the OEM rear tire because of its flatness across the tread. I did a lot of searching and researching and determined that the best solution, for me, came from Shinko. For the front I went with the SR 740, 110/70H-17 and in the rear the SR 568, 160/60H-15. Both are wider than stock, but a little shorter, as well. Speedometer, checked against a GPS app on my iPhone, is relatively unaffected,p but the odometer, checked against my buddy's Night Rod, showed about 4% more than his. Despite those minor discrepancies, I couldn't be happier with my choice. They fit well, look great, handle incredibly well (wet and dry) and the cost for both was less than what the front Michelin costs. A LOT less. If I only get 5,000 miles from them, I come out ahead, but I expect to do better than that.
Any pictures?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Will a 120/70 17 fit on the stock front wheel. Would like to also get my rear wheel up to a 16 or 17 for better lean angle. Does anyone know of aftermarket alloy wheels that we can use? I agree that the rear tire is too square. OK for drag racing, but if you lay it over in a turn, you have almost no contact patch Even the Honda CTX will turn better than the stock 750.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You should find some info here ........................ (Click on link)

Product

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm on my second set of tires and they will need to be changed soon. Having to spend almost 600 dollars to replace both with OEM Michelin scorchers is not appealing at all. I have the Commander II's on my Suzuki Savage and love them. When you say a lot less, what are we talking about?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts