Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am facing a weird problem with my Street 750. Bike runs fine without any starting issues or strange noise but during the ride, bike suddenly dies as if the ignition has been turned off. Interesting part is the moment I pull the clutch I see check engine light flashing momentarily and the bike revs up and runs smoothly as if nothing happened. Has anybody faced similar problem? I see this problem once or twice during every ride.
Its a 2014 Street 750 with 26000km on odo.

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
Are all of the instrument cluster lights flashing or just the check engine light? I'm guessing that the engine is dying and you still have enough momentum to bump start it to get it going again.

You might want to take it to a shop and see if they can read any codes that would be causing the engine lights to flash. There is a procedure to do that without a code reader, but I believe that only works for Streets from 2017 on.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are all of the instrument cluster lights flashing or just the check engine light? I'm guessing that the engine is dying and you still have enough momentum to bump start it to get it going again.
The behaviour is as follows - Engine dies and bike starts to decelerate. The moment I pull the clutch, I see only the engine light flash momentarily and when the clutch is released, its like the problem never occured. I am planning to take it to the dealer next week.
Another thing I observed is that when I open the fuel tank cap (for refuelling), I can feel kind of pressure released, gases escaping. Not sure if both problems are related (vacuum created inside tank causing fuel starvation, maybe I am spending too much time reading stuff online).

·
Registered
294 Posts
Not sure what the problem is as it would appear that there is no fault code showing. Do you by chance have an FP3 or similar fitted to your bike? If so you could find the issue.

What I can say is that the 'pressure release' that you say you get when opening the gas tank is normal - mine does it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thinking about this a bit more - if the 'wooshing' sound is VERY noticeable when you remove the filler cap - and it likely is if you haven't noticed it before - this would point to a fuel delivery issue, i.e. blocked breather pipe or some other blockage in the fuel lines. Mine just gives a faint hiss when I remove the filler cap.
This would also explain the bike dying when running due to fuel starvation.
A way to check this out would be to remove the filler cap, and make a temporary one out of tape etc. to prevent the fuel leaking but put a straw or pipe in the temporary cap so that the tank can breath - then ride the same route as you did before and see if the problem occurs - I doubt it will as this should allow more air to enter and should allow the engine to keep running.
It's easy enough to lift the tank and check the fuel pipes - I would defo start with the breather one.
Also it's worth running some fuel treatment through the tank every so often - I do mine once a year with STP fuel treatment and all has been ok in my cars and bikes.
Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thinking about this a bit more - if the 'wooshing' sound is VERY noticeable when you remove the filler cap - and it likely is if you haven't noticed it before - this would point to a fuel delivery issue, i.e. blocked breather pipe or some other blockage in the fuel lines. Mine just gives a faint hiss when I remove the filler cap.
This is something I observed recently. Even when the tank had around 1 gallon, I could feel the gas whoosh out and there was petrol beneath fuel cap.

It's easy enough to lift the tank and check the fuel pipes - I would defo start with the breather one.
Also it's worth running some fuel treatment through the tank every so often - I do mine once a year with STP fuel treatment and all has been ok in my cars and bikes.
Let us know how you get on.
I will try both the options. Usage had reduced drastically during Corona lockdown.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am facing a weird problem with my Street 750. Bike runs fine without any starting issues or strange noise but during the ride, bike suddenly dies as if the ignition has been turned off. Interesting part is the moment I pull the clutch I see check engine light flashing momentarily and the bike revs up and runs smoothly as if nothing happened. Has anybody faced similar problem? I see this problem once or twice during every ride.
Its a 2014 Street 750 with 26000km on odo.
This may not be the cause, but I had a Yamaha FZ6 that would do this.. It was as simple as a ground wire not being completely grounded. It would only cut out at high revs, and the check engine light would pop on and the bike would die until I pulled in the clutch or dropped the revs a lot. Like I said, may not be the issue, but its an easy one to rule out. I hope you find the cause and fix it to get back on the road.
-K

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I opened up the battery compartment yesterday to look for loose connection (removing the battery is in itself a huge task). Negative connection was fine but the positive connection was loose. Moreover the battery was not a snug fit. I had replaced the stock battery with lithium ion battery in February. Lithium ion battery being smaller did not fit snugly even after using the spacers provided. I added additional foam so that the battery is firmly placed. Went for a short ride today around 60kms and did not see the issue. Will update if I see the problem again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts