Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I've posted here. My Street has gone through some major changes throughout the year, although I haven't done much to it in the last few months. Just hit 14,600 miles, and thought of giving an update. Also wanted to start a discussion; how many miles has everyone racked up on their bikes? I've been using mine as a daily (when weather permits) for the last couple years. Had about 11k on the original motor, now at 14k on the rebuilt replacement. Frame has about 25k miles on it. Curious as to what numbers you guys and gals have seen.

I like where the bike is at the moment, although I still have some more changes planned. It's been put on hold for a while, and still will be for the next few months while I work on my project cars.

My Street is a beater, it's seen a good couple of spills and wrecks throughout it's time. I beat and drive the **** out of it, and it's been through a little bit of everything. This is my first bike, expecting to get a few more years out of it before I move on. Still very surprised as to how much these bikes can take. It's never been a covered bike, it sits out in sun, rain, and snow. Frame and body has been through a lot of fixes and changes. It's become somewhat of a mixture of many different Streets and fabricated universal parts. Not the prettiest, never really cared for garage kept things. Started it tonight after a week or so of being covered in snow and sitting in very cold weather, and it showed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I swear I'm not an a**hat that rides around my block at night. Videos were taken around 6-7pm, daylight savings made it look bad.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
552 Posts
Welcome back after your time away.
Just hit 14,600 miles, and thought of giving an update. Also wanted to start a discussion; how many miles has everyone racked up on their bikes? I've been using mine as a daily (when weather permits) for the last couple years. Had about 11k on the original motor, now at 14k on the rebuilt replacement. Frame has about 25k miles on it. Curious as to what numbers you guys and gals have seen.
I kind of got stuck at about 13K miles on mine. At about that point we had a brake recall, I bought a second bike that I really wanted to put miles on last year, and then I hardly rode at all this year. For years I was good for 6-7 miles per year, now this year nothing.

One past thread where people discussed their total mileage is How Many Miles or Kilometers?

What happened at 11K that you had to rebuild or replace the motor? I recall some guys had the front pulley come loose somewhere in the teens but some others have gotten into the 20K's with no issues. I've had no mechanical issues so far.
My Street is a beater, it's seen a good couple of spills and wrecks throughout it's time. I beat and drive the **** out of it, and it's been through a little bit of everything. This is my first bike, expecting to get a few more years out of it before I move on. Still very surprised as to how much these bikes can take. It's never been a covered bike, it sits out in sun, rain, and snow.
I always figure that vehicles were meant to be driven and parked in the elements, so haven't worried about bringing the bike into a warm home in the winter. On the other hand, in the brief time that I've been riding I've always had a garage for the bikes, even if the cars sit out. You might want to consider getting a cover for it, or at least put a plastic grocery bag over the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What happened at 11K that you had to rebuild or replace the motor? I recall some guys had the front pulley come loose somewhere in the teens but some others have gotten into the 20K's with no issues. I've had no mechanical issues so far.
Rear headgasket. I had noticed a loss in acceleration a few days prior, but nothing too bad. Decided to ride it up to the shop I work at to get it up on the lift and take a look. On the way there, the oil pressure tanked and the motor starting chopping right before it seized. Oil was the consistency of slime and a nice bright tan color. Valves were toast.

Boss had a '16 xg500 he bought at auction with some pretty bad frame damage. Had around 7k on the odo at the time. I bought the motor from him and ordered a full gasket kit along with some small upgrades while I had it out for rebuild, got it finished and into the bike after a few weekends of waiting.

I'm pretty satisfied with the power it has at the moment, but I'm looking at doing a 750 swap as soon as I find a good donor bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always figure that vehicles were meant to be driven and parked in the elements, so haven't worried about bringing the bike into a warm home in the winter. On the other hand, in the brief time that I've been riding I've always had a garage for the bikes, even if the cars sit out. You might want to consider getting a cover for it, or at least put a plastic grocery bag over the instrument cluster.
I kept it in a garage for the first few months, but after my first spill I left it sitting outside for a few weeks until I recovered enough to fix it. After the new bike feeling wore off, I started digging my teeth into it and turning it into my own. Haven't really cared to park it inside or cover it since. I make sure all of my wiring is tight and tucked every time I do electrical work, the only issue I've had was somewhat excessive fork seal wear and a little bit of rust on some bolts. A little patina never hurts haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts