Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
My bike won't start just pops and bang coming from the exhaust . There is spark, fuel ,compression. What would be the reason for the bike not starting . Can someone please help me out.

Thanks in advance

· Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Bandera, Texas
655 Posts
Your tuner could have gone bad. As a test unhook tuner and reconnect wires like stock. Should just be a simple plug. If it starts, the tuner is bad. Make sure plugs are dry before doing this.

· Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
71 Posts
Your tuner could have gone bad. As a test unhook tuner and reconnect wires like stock. Should just be a simple plug. If it starts, the tuner is bad. Make sure plugs are dry before doing this.
I think he meant he doesn't have a tuner, just exhaust and intake.

Gas is good, changed the spark plug and the spark plug wet when I remove it after trying to start it 3-4 times any other things that would help me troubleshooting and some times it also misfires from the intake
Have you physically checked for spark or just replaced the plugs? Have you put a compression tester on it to verify compression? In the past I have only had a backfire through the intake caused by a vacuum leak, but that was on a carbureted Buell.

Give us some more information on it like what is the current mileage? Has any other recent service work or repairs been done? Has it been sitting for a while or did this just happen out of nowhere?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think he meant he doesn't have a tuner, just exhaust and intake.

Have you physically checked for spark or just replaced the plugs? Have you put a compression tester on it to verify compression? In the past I have only had a backfire through the intake caused by a vacuum leak, but that was on a carbureted Buell.

Give us some more information on it like what is the current mileage? Has any other recent service work or repairs been done? Has it been sitting for a while or did this just happen out of nowhere?
I did check for the sparks physicallyphysically, did a compression test got around 125 -130 psi don't remember what order it was .bike has 6k miles
I was going to work and this it stoped I had to tow it back to my house,
the day before I was on the highway and the bike suddenly turned off and the check engine light was lit so I pulled over waited for 2-3 mins the bike started up no problem.
I did check the injectors and cleaned them they are good even checked the fuel pump pressure it was 58 psi
Just now I took the reading from the crank sensor I'm getting around 2.3v -2.8v is it okay?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you probably need a tuner with the air and exhaust mods.
do you know if you had the fuel pump replaced (see bad fuel pump issues)
it was a problem on the 15's
I've had the fuel pump replaced when they recalled the bike, and the mods were done buy the dealership at the time of purchase any reason that it randomly started giving problems? 🤔

· Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
932 Posts
I'm pretty sure that when the dealership programs the fuel injection for the new intake and exhaust that they don't use a consumer grade tuner that marries to the bike. I'm pretty sure they have a commercial device that plugs into the port on the bike, flashes the map, then unplugs leaving no trace that it was ever there. Even if they were using a consumer grade device your H-D dealership would be biased towards using the Screamin' Eagle Pro Street tuner which is pretty much just a cable to interface a laptop to your bike and does not remain attached.

This is not to say that the ECM may not have gone bad and needs to be replaced or reprogrammed.

Could it be an ignition timing problem?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi guys
Today I tried to start with stater fluid still no luck I to suspect that it's an ignition timing problem. I would like to know that what sensors control the ignition timing and is there any way to check it?

· Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
932 Posts
You might want to pick up the factory service manual if you are going into the workings of the engine beyond the most very basics like checking fluid levels.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys
My bike won't start just pops and bang coming from the exhaust . There is spark, fuel ,compression. What would be the reason for the bike not starting . Can someone please help me out.

Thanks in advance
Try a capful or two of stabilizer in the gas if the gas has been sitting all winter. Then put the bike in neutral to start it. It has a safety feature that does not allow the Street to be started if in gear, regardless of whether or not you have the clutch engaged.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts