Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if the cylinder heads for these motors can be dual plugged. With the valve covers on it looks like there's a space that a hole could be placed on the other side of the existing spark plug for each cylinder. I haven't found any photos of the bottom view of the cylinder heads and viewing some photos with the valve covers off of the top end it doesn't look too symmetrical under there. I doubt anyone has done this on a street, but I think a set of compression releases would be very useful for starting the bike in the winter.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
639 Posts
Most years, 2020 being an exception, I ride in temperatures down to freezing and have had no trouble starting my Street 750 as it is. I don't think that a compression release is truly needed. That's especially true since we aren't dealing with large displacement engines with kick starters.

My experience with compression releases goes back to snowmobiles with pull starters back in the 1970's. The brand my father rode typically had a compression release on one cylinder. The fate of most of those sleds was that the compression release would develop a leak and that cylinder would run hot until a hole got burned in the piston. Then they didn't run at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts