Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
That's nuts considering there is no price increase on the bikes. Thanks for looking it up!

·
Registered
147 Posts
So here is an interesting question.

Why did they make said changes to the brake setup?
If it was warranted, could it be considered an improvement in safety?

Just a thought.....can I justify the spend myself?....will I get better brakes as a result?

R

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
In the US theca went up about 50 bucks
The dealer wanted me to buy the 2015
I told him about the 2016 upgrades and he agreed for 50 bucks it would be best to go with the 2016
Its on order

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
So here is an interesting question.

Why did they make said changes to the brake setup?
If it was warranted, could it be considered an improvement in safety?

Just a thought.....can I justify the spend myself?....will I get better brakes as a result?

R
The new brakes are safer
If your saying why dont they upgrade the 2015s that will never happen unless they are forced to

·
Registered
19 Posts
While at work today I looked up part numbers on the 16 vs 15 wheels and a list of all the brake components for the 16 , well the wheels are identical so yes you can convert a 15 to a 16 model year brake setup , now the bad news it will cost about $1000.00 in parts.
Do you have the part list for this conversion available to share? Also, what's all involved in the 15 to 16 conversion from the standpoint of what work would be required to make this happen?

·
Registered
490 Posts
My dealer who rode the Museum ride said something to me about doing a conversion. No price was ever discussed. I have no issues with the brakes on my 15 Street 750. I've already put enough money into my bike for accessories and the riding season here is going to end in the next month unless we have a really long Indian summer in Wisconsin. One can only hope...lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok heres the best wsy to describe the differences in brake systems, the 15 brakes like a softtail -both brakes are spongier in feel, the 16 feels like a sportster tight and sensitive it takes maybe an inch of pedal on the 16 whereas the 15 tskes 4"? Or lots more, there are about 17 parts on the list, remember if I priced out a 15 it would be close to a grand as well, replacement parts are expensive, the brake calipers are the priciest at $190 and $209 each, im on a phone and it would be a pain to type in the list plus I didnt check differences between front master cylinders, I will try to get on a computer next week and type up a list, plus I need to double check it., my 15 stops good do im not too worried about changing them out, however if the disc or caliper dies on me I would be tempted to do a swap, the new brskes definitely give a better sport bike performance to the street whereas the old ones are more big cruiser bike in feel. (Wonder if that was intentional? , easier to switch to a bigger bike if brakes feel similar?)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As for work involved , not to bad remove the discs , calipers and at least rear master cylinder and put on new ones , the new master comes with a remote reservoir and bolts on via a bracket by the battery area, and a new rear brake line.... gotta double check that too. Remember thr cost is becauuse replacement parts not necessarily more than stock parts

·
Registered
19 Posts
As for work involved , not to bad remove the discs , calipers and at least rear master cylinder and put on new ones , the new master comes with a remote reservoir and bolts on via a bracket by the battery area, and a new rear brake line.... gotta double check that too. Remember thr cost is becauuse replacement parts not necessarily more than stock parts

Thanks for the explanation! You shared a lot of great information. It's interesting that you bring up the parallel between the Street breaks and the breaks of other HD models, being a new rider, I would have never throught of that so props for bringing up that consideration. As for a complete parts list, I was just wondering if you had something on hand that you could attach or copy and paste, so no need to type it up on account of me as I can go to a dealership for that.

At this point I'm wondering if it's possible or would have any value to swap out only one of the breaks? Could a person who may potentially not like say, the rear breaks, opt to replace the 2015 rear with a 2016 model? If so, would it be half the price? The reason why I'm curious about the 2016 breaks is because the existing breaks buzz when I'm slowing down. They work fine, it's just annoying. I'm not sure if all Streets do this though, would you have any insight on that? I've gone as far as to take it into the dealer and was told that the source of the buzz was the pads making contact with the rotor. This was brought up on another thread on this forum, but I don't remember a consensus ever being reached. Anyway, so my thoughts are if the price is reasonable and the 2016 breaks better quality breaks and the 2016 breaks didn't buzz it may be worthwhile to go with the 16s. I'm curious as to what you think of this. Would it really be an upgrade or would it be spending a whole bunch of money just to maybe fix some buzzing?

·
Registered
147 Posts
The new brakes are safer
If your saying why dont they upgrade the 2015s that will never happen unless they are forced to

By that you could assume that it's been changed for a reason.....might be worth looking at replacing the pedal at least....if possible, the current one has too much free travel before it engages for my liking

Happy cruising!

·
Registered
112 Posts
While at work today I looked up part numbers on the 16 vs 15 wheels and a list of all the brake components for the 16 , well the wheels are identical so yes you can convert a 15 to a 16 model year brake setup , now the bad news it will cost about $1000.00 in parts.
What did they change between model years? ... usually the changes are so insignificant ... like some changing out the manufacturer of their pads. Nothing beats my Brembo conversions at the moment, imo. You wanna talk about stopping power on the Streets, jump on mine and take it around the track once. Piece of piss to lock up the rear tire, if I really want to ;)

·
Registered
367 Posts
They switched to Brembo calipers, larger rotors and a remote reservoir. For 1k I can fab my own and have plenty scratch left.

·
Registered
766 Posts
today while out riding I nearly passed up a road I wanted to turn off on, the back brake did lock the tire for a couple of seconds.....

so my next disposable $1000, I would rather get the v&h naked air kit, the V&H fp3, a luggage rack, and those fine looking forward controls....oh wait I already went over $1000.....:laugh:....the luggage rack has got to wait....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts