Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brakes on my street 750 are weak and doesn't inspire confidence. I have got this checked at HD service centre but it was not of much help. This seems to be a problem with most of Street 750 owners are facing. Will request for inputs from Members and ideas to rectify within HD warranty frame!:)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Interesting, what other members here have you noticed had this issue?
If there are any specific members you noticed with the same issue you may want to call them in with the @username mention tool.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Weak Brakes on the Street 750

A large number of reports, especially from various 'Experts' from various Auto magazines and Journals have stated that the brakes feel wooden or inefficient.
When I went for the test drive, I was specially wanting to check out this aspect. My experience was that the braking effort required was on the higher side. Or, maybe I was influenced by the reporters. After a couple of more test drives, I concluded that the brakes could have been better. They are not ineffective or inefficient but one will have to get used to them until something can be done to improve them. Personally, I think for a heavy bike, unlike the 100 to 200 cc variety which are much lighter, the braking effort required is more. Also, for a bike which accelerates like the Street 750 does, the brakes definitely need to be better. Safety cannot be compromised. I am sure after market solutions are round the corner... Better brake pads, 4 pot callipers and so on.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I've found no problems related to the brakes on my 750 at all but would add the following caveats.

First and foremost I'm not a motorcycle racer that requires maximum braking performance. I'm a street and highway rider that only requires braking performance based upon normal street and highway riding.

Next is that I can literally lock up the brakes anytime and can apply any amount of braking required between lightly braking and literally locking up the tires. Yes, brake pads can affect how quickly momentum is converted into heat (which slows the motorcycle) but that is an easy change if someone wants reduced stopping distances.

Finally I don't ride in a manner that results in panic stopping. By always being aware of "everything" I avoid emergency situations that require extreme braking performance.

Beyond all of these comments on today's braking issues I'll mention I grew up with motorcycles that often had drum brakes and you can't even compare today's disc brakes with the drum brakes that were "just fine" in the past.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Hopefully they do address it, I have noticed a lot of people complain about how the brakes are to a point that it was a deal breaker for them, that should scare HD a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Hopefully they do address it, I have noticed a lot of people complain about how the brakes are to a point that it was a deal breaker for them, that should scare HD a bit.

As I mentioned I haven't had any problem with my Street 750 braking and I've already put on almost 1,000 miles. They're slightly different than my Sportster but actually stop the motorcycle in less distance (because the Sportster is heavier).

That's a safety issue and ABS must be there.

A lot of inexperienced riders certainly benefit from ABS while an experienced rider can stop in virtually the same distance. ABS does provide slightly more handling stability when braking but once again experience will compensate for any stability issues when braking.

I'll return to one important point. Simply stay out of situations that require emergency braking.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Never driven a bike with ABS till date. But if bike is expensive like Street 750 atleat in India though it sells here at cheapest price, ABS should be there. Premium Product...!!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Brakes on the Street 750

It is interesting to note the two clear opinions emerging during this discussion. One being that driving safe and cautiously avoids getting you into tricky situations and the other that the brakes must be powerful enough to stop you in any situation.
Well both views are correct, but I think the difference emerges from two different continents and how people drive in each of these countries and the road conditions existing in each.
The US based riders in my opinion feel that the brakes will prove adequate if the bike is driven sensibly. Totally true!
However, from the Indian perspective, I agree with the members from India that the need is to be able to handle unexpected situations which crop up every few minutes,if not seconds because we Indians are totally lacking in Road etiquette and secondly, our roads are grossly over crowded.
Therefore, this divergence of views,which are both relevant in their own place.:)

·
Registered
291 Posts
USA is more about Straight, open Roads & Highways and one cruises. Emphasis on Brakes is minimal.

While in India driving is very stressful & chaotic. We need a hand on brakes every time or someone could get killed or seriously injured.

Same in Western World to Honk at someone and Flash Lights is discourteous. But here in India it's a LIFE SAVING MANEUVER.

We get so many people killed in Road Accidents. So expect little more from Manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
USA is more about Straight, open Roads & Highways and one cruises. Emphasis on Brakes is minimal.

While in India driving is very stressful & chaotic. We need a hand on brakes every time or someone could get killed or seriously injured.

Same in Western World to Honk at someone and Flash Lights is discourteous. But here in India it's a LIFE SAVING MANEUVER.

We get so many people killed in Road Accidents. So expect little more from Manufacturers.

If I can lock-up the brakes without any problem, and I can, then there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the brakes. Of course how sensitive the brakes are during braking is determined by the brake pads (not the rotors or calipers) and brake pads are cheap.

My only real limitation on braking is the contact between the tire and the road as I can apply any amount of braking force necessary, short of locking up the wheels, to stop in the least amount of distance. I can change the sensitivity if I want by changing the brake pads but it won't change my braking distance.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Harley's lack on many grounds and are being evolved.

In year 2014 Brakes of Sportster Range were made better, size of Rotor was increased of the front Brake. And current Sportster range is better in Braking. You can compare 2014 sportster with previous years ones to know the difference.

Also if you check the spec-sheet only SuperLow has Radial Tires & then only FatBoy has Radial Tires. All other Sportster & Dyna have Nylon tires. Now these are high capacity bikes capable of sustaining high speeds why this cost-cutting. Nylon tires are inferior to Radial Tires in every second way but people just accept the way it is or Harley wants you to CUSTOMISE.

Street in India comes with Nylon Tires but elsewhere they are Radials.

If you check the price of Brake-Pads they are Highly OverPriced & so are Shocks of Street Series. And way Harley is demanding Labour for menial jobs is way too much. AtLeast I won't encourage an Enterprise that is engaged in such unethical activities.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thing is why high quality Radials are not Factory Fitment !

Customization and Low Quality Parts are Norm with Harley.
Just Exhaust Sound & Push-Rods to sell a bike is too much.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Thing is why high quality Radials are not Factory Fitment !

Customization and Low Quality Parts are Norm with Harley.
Just Exhaust Sound & Push-Rods to sell a bike is too much.
Because radial tires aren't really required for most motorcycle applications. Many of the advantages of a radial tire construction work fine on an automobile but don't apply to a motorcycle because cars and motorcycles don't corner the same. A car benefits from the radial because the tire is always perpendicular to the road so the sidewalls are very important but a motorcycle rolls over riding and the sidewall literally becomes the contact surface with the road.

At high speeds the radial tire is preferrable on a mototcycle but street riding doesn't really involve high speeds. High speeds where the radial has an advantage is only achieved in motorcycle racing that is an extreme condition that no one on the street should be doing in the first place.

At normal riding speeds, even breaking the speed limit laws, a bias ply nylon tire is perfectly acceptable for a motorcycle. They actually improve the ride for a motorcycle over a steel belted radial tire. I would suggest checking the positives and negatives of bias v radial tires. For example bias ply tires have higher friction to the road when compared to radials and that is preferrable on a motorcycle. We want a lot of friction between the tire and the road. The cost for this friction is that the tire wears out faster and you burn a little more gasoline.

http://cocomponents.com/dealer/powersports-industry/bias-ply-radial-explained/

The same is true of the brakes. We're not racing the motorcycle, or at least we shouldn't be, so there's no advantage to using racing type brakes on the Street 500 or 750. People keep comparing applications based upon racing to street type motorcycles and they're comparing apples and oranges. How many, for example, actually rode so hard on a Street Harley to the point that they experienced brake fade when riding? That's where high performance brakes come into play and not before. As long as the brakes are efficiently converting inertia into heat, which is what the brakes do, the brakes are working just fine.

If you want a racing motorcycle then buy one. If you want a street motorcyle then buy one. Don't try to compare the differences between the two because it's irrelevant to the purpose the motorcycle is intended for.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It's not about street bikes but Cruisers which take pride in being under-speced. Especially Harley.

While I reserve my preference for a Radial Tire in anything above 200cc.

People who can manage without these attributes do so but if I have to put my hard earned money on something, being a techie I want very fine Performance from Brakes, Superior Radials and nice reliable tech laden engine. Attributes that I thought I would find in Street 750 but was dismayed; Hence got the booking cancelled. And definitely not looking at a Push-Rod Engine, reason I never bought a Royal Enfield.

For me an ideal bike would be BMW R1200R or new Honda CB650F. Former is too expensive in India almost 3 times international price so waiting for latter to launch next year. Just perfect for me. 4 cylinders, nice brakes, nice tyres & shocks. Would serve me well.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
It's not about street bikes but Cruisers which take pride in being under-speced. Especially Harley.

While I reserve my preference for a Radial Tire in anything above 200cc.

People who can manage without these attributes do so but if I have to put my hard earned money on something, being a techie I want very fine Performance from Brakes, Superior Radials and nice reliable tech laden engine. Attributes that I thought I would find in Street 750 but was dismayed; Hence got the booking cancelled. And definitely not looking at a Push-Rod Engine, reason I never bought a Royal Enfield.

For me an ideal bike would be BMW R1200R or new Honda CB650F. Former is too expensive in India almost 3 times international price so waiting for latter to launch next year. Just perfect for me. 4 cylinders, nice brakes, nice tyres & shocks. Would serve me well.
Personal preferences are fine and you should purchase what pleases you.

What I don't understand is that if you don't want a Harley then why are you talking about them? As a techie you might want racing performance from a motorcycle but that doesn't mean those performance features need to be include on every motorcycle. The brakes and tires on Harley Davidson motorcycles are excellent for the purposes intended and that's all that matters.

If you want a high performance Harley Davidson then buy a stock one and modify it anyway you want but the normal Harley Davidson owner shouldn't have to pay the extra costs that you want to come standard on a Harley because they don't need or necessarily want it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I joined this site when I booked a Street 750 expecting it to me fit my Standards to a Tee. But it did not!

Currently I am finding specs of Honda CB650F interesting which is rumored in India next year.

I don't like wasting money on customization to make a product work for me. And upcoming Honda would be just fine & from reviews seems perfect right from the Factory.

Why waste money. Customization .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I joined this site when I booked a Street 750 expecting it to me fit my Standards to a Tee. But it did not!

Currently I am finding specs of Honda CB650F interesting which is rumored in India next year.

I don't like wasting money on customization to make a product work for me. And upcoming Honda would be just fine & from reviews seems perfect right from the Factory.

Why waste money. Customization .....

Honda builds excellent motorcycles and I'd never discourage anyone from buying one if that's what fits their riding needs the best. Spending the time to check out different brands to see what fits them the best is a very good thing to do for any rider.

Of the flip side I've found that most Harley owners like to personalize their motorcycles with changes that can range from minor cosmetics to complete rebuilds. I'm one of the really crazy ones because I'm doing a complete ground-up build of a custom show chopper using the Street 750 as the foundation.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts