Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Found a company on Amazon. Called Motorscan. They make adapters that plug into the Diagnostic Ports for the HD 4 and 6 Pin connectors. Price is just under $200 USD. I ordered one from Amazon. A week later it finally arrives. Open the package. What to my Dismay? Not only did Amazon ship the 4 Pin, I ordered the 6, They shipped me a Used one. As evidenced by the Open package. And the LPN Sticker on top of the "New Item" sticker. Which was on top of the UPC. Filed a complaint with Amazon Customer Service. Who promptly blamed the Supplier. Until I pointed out that Amazon uses the LPN Sticker. I worked at a Prime Facility for 1 1/2 years. And have used them. Amazon was gracious enough to provide me with a UPS return label. And I am eventually getting a refund.

Contacted the Manufacturer. Sent pictures of what I received. "Alex" was not happy. And apologized in an e-mail. Said he filed a complaint with Amazon. To have them check the rest of the units in inventory.

So in the end I ended up reordering from Motorscan. Let you know What arrives. And how well it works. "Alex" said in an e-mail, He will make sure I get the correct unit this time.

https://motorscantools.com/

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi all. Unit arrived today.

Size? 1 7/16" L 3/4" W and H.

Android App? Works on my Sony Xperia XA phone. Don't have an I-Phone. Can't comment. Has an Online Account set-up.

Function? Full Scan Tool and Code retrieval/Erasure functions. Shows the Calibration Code of the ECU. Basically Everything the FP3 shows. Without the Flash capability. And about 1/2 price of the FP3(Regular price at most shops)

Comes with a Quick Start Guide in English, Spanish, Italian, Deutsch

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tucsonmax1,
thanks for posting this info.
I need 1 now as the check engine light is staying on on my 2015 XG750 but the website link you posted says that they are now all sold out. I'm thinking that quite possibly they just might be discontinued all together moreso than just sold out.
If you have any other links for a reasonably priced code reader please let me know as I have been searching and searching yet not finding anything that could be used.
I do have an OBD2 code reader for my car but as you know the plug ends from car to motorcycle are different so unless I get an adapter cable the car reader is no good to me at this time either.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the first unit from Amazon. However, they shipped me a Used, 4 Pin model. For the older bikes. Had to order through Motorscan. They were really good with me about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@Tucsonmax1 I had used your link to Motorscan and they were sold out of both the 4 pin and the needed 6 pin scanners. I have been searching Amazon (both the American and Canadian versions of the website) with no luck for them listed.
It's finally riding season here in western Canada where I live but because the engine light is on and staying on when the bike is running I don't want to go too far away from home yet. I did put together a bag full of tools (which includes the overpriced Snap-On tool set (unfortunately the Snap-On set is SAE where as our bikes are metric so I got a set of metric sockets too), Allen keys (both SAE and metric), metric wrenches (8-18mm), test light, multimeter, pliers and an assortment of fuses) so that I can go riding and enjoy myself.
My biggest concern is that there is no additional problems with my bike before I leave home and a scan tool would be great for this.

Unless you zoom in on my profile picture you wouldn't see that I have an excessive amount of piercings across my face (across my face and both nipples i now have 32 total piercings). while i was getting all these piercings i was told about microchip implants and decided to try them out for the wow factor. i couldn't have an implant with no use so i bypassed the start switch on my bike and installed a microchip reader so that now i use my microchip to start my bike (i actually made a video of me starting my bike with the microchip in my left hand but i wont post it to this forum as everywhere else i have posted the video i have heard too many negative comments about microchips and don't want to hear anymore such comments at this time). i originally put the chip wiring in the wrong location and doing so would start my bike but at the same time after a minute or so of running it would blow the ignition fuse. spent the entire winter figuring out exactly where i went wrong and how to correct it. i then added a Digital Guard Dawg keyless ignition system (https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Guard-Dawg-DGD-KIM-U-Universal/dp/B00Q7GWVBM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1RIC16Y9XJ0HN&dchild=1&keywords=digital+guard+dawg+universal+keyless+ignition&qid=1589806720&sprefix=digital+gua,aps,220&sr=8-1) and Viper alarm (yes Viper now makes a motorcycle alarm system https://www.amazon.com/Directed-Electronics-Powersport-Waterproof-Watercraft/dp/B07C5Y8ZGG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=WSLUKR0TA7BO&dchild=1&keywords=viper+motorcycle+alarm&qid=1589806889&sprefix=viper+moto,aps,219&sr=8-1). my bike now starts and runs even stays running with no issues other than the engine light staying on. i'm thinking that when it used to blow the ignition fuse it caused a fault code that now needs clearing. i removed the battery several times while installing the electrical systems i just told you about and that didn't cause the codes to be cleared so now its either take it to a dealer or buy myself a scanner/code reader. i prefer to buy a code reader and do the repairs myself as i enjoy working on my bike as much as i enjoy riding it

·
Registered
19 Posts
@Tucsonmax1 sorry about the long read above but i was just giving you details on how the issue happened and why i am in such a need for a code reader.
at this time i'm even searching for an adaptor that will let me plug my car's OBD2 reader into the diagnostic plug on my bike. i think i just might have to figure out the actual plug wires first and then build a connector harness accordingly after

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vance and Hines makes a unit. Like the FP3. But only works as a scanner. Code Red I think its called? FP3 will also work. If you could borrow one. BTW, You need the canbus 6 Pin

·
Registered
19 Posts
yes @Tucsonmax1 V&H does make the Code Read unit but i think that they are discontinuing it for the higher priced FP3. i've been trying to get a Code Read too until i saw that other item you posted that was similar to it

·
Registered
19 Posts
thanks @Tucsonmax1 for your advice and help. i couldn't find the code readers that you had suggested but on of my local motorcycle shops was able to sell me the higher priced V&H FP3 fuel pack for $600 Canadian. so hopefully i get it this weekend and get to turning off the troubling engine light.
i did spend a few more dollars then i actually wanted to for a code reader but at least with the FP3 if i want to swap out air cleaners or exhaust slip ons i van and tune it accordingly too.
speaking of spending more money then i want to i also picked up a set of lights that I'm going to mount up high on my back rest/luggage rack so that when i have either my toolbag or my full luggage roll on the rack the other drivers behind me can see that i want to turn

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Note: If the code is for O2 sensor (Example), It will continue to come on until repaired.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hahahaha
I'm a licensed truck/trailer mechanic when I'm not riding my bike. I have a very good understanding of repair procedures and such but my OBD2 reader doesn't hook up to my motorcycle so at first I thought that there was a way other than with a scanner/code reader to access the diagnostic codes on the 2015s

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I worked as an Auto Tech. Sold Auto Parts. You would be surprised how many requests for "Code eraser" I got

·
Registered
19 Posts
Because I live in Canada I only have a few months of riding experience under my belt as I have only been riding since 2018 and only owned this bike since then too. I have however been a licensed truck mechanic since 2001.
I could only imagine some of the jokes that you must have gotten from people asking for parts by the wrong names

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tucsonmax1 thanks for your help and replies I finally got my V&H fp3 installed and now know that I can ride while I wait for more parts to arrive.
Code reader says bad wiring

1 - 14 of 14 Posts