Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left my street 750 unattended for quite some time and had to replace the battery. It will now turn over but will not start? HELP!!!

·
Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Houston, Texas
478 Posts
Sounds like the fuel has gone bad.

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Document

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
762 Posts
I'd definitely drain the fuel tank and put in fresh gas. Also make sure no little critters set up housekeeping in your intake and exhaust.

When you turn the key and have the kill/run switch in the on position do you hear the fuel pump starting before you hit the starter button?

Are the plug wires tight on the terminal and in good order along their length? Nothing has been chewing on them?

What model year is the bike? I'm thinking that from 2017 on they had kick stand and neutral switches that the early US models lacked. You probably thought of that, but it is another wire that may have been gnawed on by furry little critters.

Reactions: Lesblank

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd definitely drain the fuel tank and put in fresh gas. Also make sure no little critters set up housekeeping in your intake and exhaust.

When you turn the key and have the kill/run switch in the on position do you hear the fuel pump starting before you hit the starter button?

Are the plug wires tight on the terminal and in good order along their length? Nothing has been chewing on them?

What model year is the bike? I'm thinking that from 2017 on they had kick stand and neutral switches that the early US models lacked. You probably thought of that, but it is another wire that may have been gnawed on by furry little critters.
It is a 2015

·
Super Moderator
762 Posts
So you probably aren't up against any of those safety switches that I mentioned earlier.

Have you checked that the engine has a clear intake and exhaust with no mouse nests or any other clogs?

How about fresh fuel?

I know the initial run of bikes and fuel pump issues, can the local dealership tell you if the recall was done on this bike?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you probably aren't up against any of those safety switches that I mentioned earlier.

Have you checked that the engine has a clear intake and exhaust with no mouse nests or any other clogs?

How about fresh fuel?

I know the initial run of bikes and fuel pump issues, can the local dealership tell you if the recall was done on this bike?
Took the positive cable off and then put it back on. It reset itself. All good now!!

·
Super Moderator
762 Posts
Watch Picture frame Microphone Sharing Font

Reactions: Lesblank

·
Super Moderator
762 Posts
You might have had some corrosion on the battery clamps that got rubbed off with taking them off and on an extra time.

I don't know how many times when I was a kid that my dad would come across somebody that thought they needed a new battery, but the clamps were a mass of corrosion. He'd take a little bit of emery cloth out of his toolbox and clean the battery terminals and the inside of the clamps and the car would start right up.

If your 2015 bike still had the original battery it was due for a change, though. Good on you for realizing that and addressing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts