Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm looking into purchasing a Street 750 for my first bike. I know that this model does not get a lot of love in the Harley community, but I live in NYC and it sounds like the agility and pep in stop and go traffic make it a good fit.
Anyway, Im looking at a used 2015 from a private seller with 8900 miles on it. A few questions if anyone has advice:
Tire Vehicle Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Automotive tire

1- Is the 2015 model brakes really that bad? Should I hold out for a new model?
2-I see in the pics some rust and things (see above) are these bad signs that I should stay clear of?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I bought the 2015 model new and live in a city, so lets tale it from there. Yes the brakes are not the best, but on the few occasions that someone has stopped or turned in front of me, I have always been able to stop in time. You have to ride the bike always with the idea in your mind that you are not on a Kawasaki H2. The agility in traffic has always been big plus for me. The bike was designed for the urban cycle and does thrive in it. Yes it can be taken out on the highway, but the seat is not designed for long distances. I have kept a logbook on mine since new and up to Oct 2021 I am averaging 54mpg, so that will give you something to work off. Some nuts, bolts, mirror stems do have signs of corrosion, but like you I also live in a coastal environment, so it is expected. The only issues I have had to date are steering head bearing replacement in Oct 2018 and a new battery in Jul 2020. Other than that I find the bike a great deal of fun to ride.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
781 Posts
The liquid cooling is great for sitting in traffic and the light weight of this bike, compared to other Harleys, makes it easy to wrestle around parking lots. At the time of its introduction the Street 750 had the greatest ground clearance and suspension travel of any Harley, which made it great for dealing with things like pot holes and speed bumps. The Street Rod improved on that a bit. I would say it is probably the best bike in the Harley line for running around in towns and cities.

Some people would be concerned that the Street 750 is a discontinued model. On the other hand, H-D dealerships have thousands of Street 500's as their Rider Academy bikes and most parts are interchangeable between the models. Accessories could get tough to find within the next couple of years, but I expect parts for keeping the basic bike up and running will be available over the next decade.

I have no firsthand experience with the 2015 model, but my understanding is that the brakes are mostly adequate but can leave experienced riders wanting a bit more.

My take on it is that a lot of the early reviewers wanted to hate on this bike and they seized upon the single disk front brake and said the braking was poor. The single disk is probably adequate for a bike that isn't a high performance model and tips the scale at just under 500 pounds. In 2016 HD made changes to upgrade the braking from adequate to good, I suspect mostly to appease the reviewers but the damage was already done.

On the other hand, it's also my understanding that the bikes made in the Bawal, India factory for domestic sales got locally sourced tires and brake pads that differ from those bikes produced for export. Apparently those brake pads were not good, being described in one article as being "the consistency of cottage cheese." Unfortunately for the reputation of the Streets, many reviewers from the Indian motorcycle press were riding on those bikes.

If it really concerns you the brake pads can be upgraded, the brake lines upgraded to braided stainless steel, or brakes from a 2016 or later non-ABS bike can be retrofitted to your bike. None of that is rocket science.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello,
I'm looking into purchasing a Street 750 for my first bike. I know that this model does not get a lot of love in the Harley community, but I live in NYC and it sounds like the agility and pep in stop and go traffic make it a good fit.
Anyway, Im looking at a used 2015 from a private seller with 8900 miles on it. A few questions if anyone has advice:
View attachment 28150
1- Is the 2015 model brakes really that bad? Should I hold out for a new model?
2-I see in the pics some rust and things (see above) are these bad signs that I should stay clear of?
I had the street 500 and then bought the street rod 750 2019 model…the street rod 750 is a far better bike ( it was more dearer than street 500). The fit and finish is much better than street 500/750. The brakes are far superior and will stop when you want to stop. You will need a Rox handle bar riser (3.5 inch) fitted to the street rod to help its ergo . The wire and cable only needed to be re routed. Also will need an heat deflector otherwise your thighs will burn. The best bike for city ride that HARLEY has built. All black and looks good. I would suggest to buy street rod XG750A ( the bike was built in USA for US and Canada customers)….

1 - 4 of 4 Posts