Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Buying soon!

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  A11am3r1can 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, like the title says I'm buying a Street soon and it will be my first bike. I'm waiting until next month until my promotion to Sergeant becomes official and I'm going to the dealership that day.

A little background short and sweet: I was in the Army 2005-2011, got out and worked in Afghanistan as a military contractor for almost 2 years, and I recently just came back in to finish out my time and retire.

One question I have is that I am 6' and about 200lbs, do you think the Street is a viable (read comfortable) option?

#3 ·
Hey guys, like the total says I'm buying a Street soon and it will be my first bike. I'm waiting until next month until my promotion to Sergeant becomes official and I'm going to the dealership that day.

One question I have is that I am 6' and about 200lbs, do you think the Street is a viable (read comfortable) option?

People tend to compare the Street 500/750 to the large cruisers and somehow come to the conclusion that the Street is a small motorcycle but it's not. By analogy it like comparing an RV to a fullsize car. The car is not small just because the RV is very large.

Does your Harley dealer still have a Street for sale? Many sold out as the number sent to the dealer was very limited. If you dealer has one now I would suggest putting a deposit on it to hold it until you're ready. If not it's not likely to be there when you're ready to buy and the reorders from Harley are very limited at least until next year.

As a first motorcycle are you selecting a Street 500 or a Street 750? Either of them would work very well although personally I'd recommend the Street 500. I just believe, based upon my own years of riding, that starting out smaller is better but that's not a carved in stone rule.

Be sure to take the basic Rider Safety Course!!! As a new rider this really should be a must and in most if not all states it also provides you with your M/C endorsement on your drivers license. There's often a waiting list for the Riders Safety Course so sign up now. I believe they furnish everything you need except gloves but check with them, They usually have a website where you can find out the details. Even experienced riders should take the advanced Rider Safety Courses from time to time. There is always more to learn about riding safely and riding safe on a motorcycle is the most important thing you can do.

#5 ·
All good points. My dealer (Colorado Springs, CO) hasn't gotten one yet and "don't for sure" know when they will.

They do the BRC on base here for free I think. I just know the Army is crazy over the top (which is warranted) about motorcycle safety.

#6 ·
Hey guys, like the total says I'm buying a Street soon and it will be my first bike. I'm waiting until next month until my promotion to Sergeant becomes official and I'm going to the dealership that day.

A little background short and sweet: I was in the Army 2005-2011, got out and worked in Afghanistan as a military contractor for almost 2 years, and I recently just came back in to finish out my time and retire.

I'm 6' and 176 lbs and the Street is Okay by me as for as size goes.;)

#8 ·
welcome to the show! I agree with stone, the 500 is likely to be a better choice for a new rider. Don't get it twisted, despite the folklore a 500cc motorbike is still a big bike. There's a reason top shelf motorcycle racing focused on 500's for so long...

#10 ·

My advice for you is to get them to change out your seat for a tall one as part of your purchase, they have the 500 as the training bikes so they have the seat for those bikes. I am a shorty, so I knew without a doubt that I did not to have to pay 199.00 for a low seat and worry about selling the other seat, so I got them to put in writing when I put down my deposit that they would do a even exchange on the seat and they pulled one and had it in my sales(wo) man office.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.