Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’m 500 miles in to my new street 750. I’ve noticed a more progressive clicking sound, kinda like ticker tape in the wheels of a bicycle or something. Gets more progressive with higher revs/speed. It’s really annoying. Has anyone come across this?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Have you checked the drive belt for a stone embedded in the teeth?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for late reply, yes have checked now, sounds like it’s coming from the front of the bike, nothing that is visible, seems to speed up and slow down with the revs/speed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked oil, level is fine. I’ve been trying to record it whilst riding(phone on attached holder ) but doesn’t really come out right. I have a v and h comp series slip on so that drowns the ticking noise out a bit but at lower speeds it’s really off putting. Going in for first service soon I’ll ask the dealer if they can work it out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, I’m 500 miles in to my new street 750. I’ve noticed a more progressive clicking sound, kinda like ticker tape in the wheels of a bicycle or something. Gets more progressive with higher revs/speed. It’s really annoying. Has anyone come across this?
Hello, heard the same from mine about a year ago when it was brand new. Seemed to do it more when engine was warming up and when using higher octane fuel, so now I only use 87. Figured it was maybe the fuel injector. It was more annoying the more attention I would give it. Later I would ignore it and also put a slip on exhaust so it was drowned out. Now I just realized that I haven't heard it for a long time by your question.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all just an update. Took it to my local HD dealer in Southampton and they ran it up the road, then picked up on the noise straight away and took the bike in. They called me later that day to say it coming from the valves not being aligned properly or may have come loose due to engine breaking in process... ordered some gaskets and fixed in in 3 days all under warranty. Great dealer service, very reassuring. Bike is back and sounds great.

is it bad that I already want to trade up to a low rider s though 😂

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
Bike is back and sounds great.
It's good to hear that all is well! That's why we have warranties that we try to not invalidate.
is it bad that I already want to trade up to a low rider s though 😂
That kind of depends on why you want to trade bikes.

The Street 750 was my first bike. I bought it because I was, quite frankly, scared to start riding on anything larger. A number of people on another forum were quick to tell me not even consider starting on anything larger than a 650cc bike, not mentioning the difference between parallel twin and v-twin engines. No way was I going to get on an 883 or 1200cc monster! By the end of the summer I was chomping at the bit to upgrade and was test riding bigger bikes.

Over the fall and winter I got to thinking about it and realized that I wanted to trade bikes, but there wasn't a need to do so. The Street was doing everything I asked of it. Commuter duty and a few 400 mile weekend trips were being handled just fine.

At the end of the second summer I did buy a Sportster 1200 Custom, but as a second bike. I still have the Street and it's the bike that gets the most miles on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same with my street, had just passed my test and thought it would be a good start bike, which it is, however on long motorway trips I’d like something bigger. I do think I’d get a second and keep my street rather than use it as an exchange however, it is a great commuter bike

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
Longer trips are where I run into problems. Somewhere on my to-do list are a set of highway pegs that should let me stretch out a little bit on long trips. Maybe next year I can get a forward control kit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I was toying with the idea of a new seat as about an hour in it starts to get real u comfortable but it’s probably cheaper to get a seat pad instead 😅

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
Consider the Tuffside seat recover kits as a possibility. They offer a slight amount of padding and cost less than I paid for my tall boy seat from H-D. Currently the seats are only available for the stock seat, but they used to offer a tall boy cover as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah I was toying with the idea of a new seat as about an hour in it starts to get real u comfortable but it’s probably cheaper to get a seat pad instead 😅
Not sure what your budget is, I replaced mine with the Saddleman Two up seat. I just didn’t feel “stuck” enough with the stock seat. I’m rather happy with the choice. I’ve put over 10K miles on my 2018 now. Just my two cents.

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
Another possibility is that if the stock seat gives you the correct positioning it can be reupholstered at most auto upholstery shops. They can slip in a little bit of padding. I haven't looked into it myself, but other members here have been pleased with the results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do like the look of the two up saddleman, but don’t really want to pay that much if I can avoid it on the seat. I’ve found a couple places near me that will reupholster so going to pop in and have a chat. Will update

cheers guys

1 - 15 of 15 Posts