Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody, I recently had my first service and at that time I pointed out to the dealer that the clutch was partly engaged when starting the engine cold. In 1st gear, clutch lever in, hit started and the bike want to jump forward. . The same happens if I leave the engine off, engage first gear, clutch lever in and try to push it..... definite resistance there. Once the engine has warmed up this is no longer noticed, all appears good. I assumed it was a matter of adjustment but the dealer said, no worries, the clutch is correctly adjusted to factory specs. I have now dome 3,000 kilometres and what I see as a problem, still exists. Any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same issue with mine, why I always start in neutral when its cold. I've noticed there is a considerable amount of resistance when I rock the bike back and forth just like you when its cold. I've adjusted the clutch cable in both locations but doesn't seem to affect much. Its been doing it for as long as I can remember, around 5200 miles on the clock now. Does yours want to creep when in 1st with the clutch fully pulled in while idling?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Voltage640.... thanks for your reply. ....and yes, it does want to creep in first. Like you I am now starting it in neutral. If yours has been like it for 5200 miles it appears I don’t have anything to worry about however after have many Japanese and German bikes this is something I have never encounter before. Just does not sit well with me but the dealers say all clutch adjustment are as per factory, don’t seem I can do any more except live with it. Apart from that the bike is nice to cruise, lovely engine, good gearbox but I struggle with the high position of the pegs.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Wet clutch will always have some drag. The colder it is the more drag. Starting your ride in N is smart and safe course period. It will start with clutch in and in gear. But bet first start of the day it will drag. Not a madder of live with it. It is a fact of life Wet clutch drags some.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that Smitty, I have taken advice from both you and Voltage and now start up in N. Glad that’s sorted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts