Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
I did have same problem on my 2015 street 750 I fix now I did buy engine ice coolant better than hd and put mobil1 full syanthetic there are some sintetic oil they do perfect job to keep engine cool now my bike doesnt leak anymore and the overlook tank need to be little bit lower to the full fill line try and see if work for you

· Registered
2 Posts
I'm New to motorcycles in US. I got a 17 Street rod XG750 which has dead battery and missing Odometer.
I got a new battery and changed it myself. But when I removed the Coolant reservoir and put it back, I don't remember where exactly the above hose of the tank goes.

Please help.

I know that the hose under the tank connects to the radiator. That is fine
Does anyone know where the overflow hose (upper one) - hose above the tank connects to ??

Thanks,
Sid

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So, today I picked up the bike. The garage replaced waterpump, the thermostat and radiator cap again, even though there was no apparent damage. After a first ride of 15km in traffic it seems that there are no losses from the overflow. I will have to test it for a week before returning it for inspection. I'll keep you up-to-date!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Nothing to do, the coolant is again out of the overflow. This time I noticed that as the coolant in the engine cooled down, the tank remained completely full even when the bike was cold. I imagine that at this point, turning it on, the bike will spit out another coolant. In summary: HG replaced in March, radiator cap and thermostat replaced in May (for the second time), waterpump replaced in May, pressure test ok and ECM test ok .... what's left? radiator and hoses ??

· Registered
298 Posts
Sorry you are still having problems. They seem to have checked everything. If the radiator or hoses were leaking I think this would be obvious as coolant does tend to leave a mark on the area's it comes from.
I regret, in my opinion with the limited knowledge I have, it does actually point to the fact that the water channels in the engine could well be blocked.

I suggested in a previous message that in a case like this you need to check one thing before moving on to another and it really does look like the garage have checked everything. I really hope I am wrong but as I suggested previously it really does look like there is some sort of blockage and the only way to clear this may be to strip down the head and other related components. It is not an expensive job with regard to parts as you will likely only need head gaskets etc. but it is a considerable amount of dismantling and looks very likely that this is the only course of action left. A pressure test would not be able to detect a blockage as this just detects leaks.

I have on a couple of occasions been able to clear blockages in water channels of engines by removing the radiator and connecting a high pressure air hose to the inlet where the radiator hose connects to the engine. You would be amazed at some of the 'crap' that this removes - not sure if your garage has considered this? Thermostat needs to be removed before doing this as well if you try doing it yourself at a local garage - most garages have high pressure air hoses as they use them for impact drivers etc.

It does seem like the garage are trying to help but clearly the issue still persists and they must too have thoughts that this could be the problem?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I believe I finally solved the problem. after yet another dropping from overflow hose, I noticed that the engine cooling down didn't suck the coolant in the tank. so I disassembled the tank, covered the overflow hose with duct tape (avoiding air leaks during cooling) and tightened the clamps. now the bike fills and empties the tank without causing overflow. I tested the bike for 100km a day with an average of 34 degrees Celsius and no other leaks (except a few drops of condensation). I'll keep you up-to-date! ps: the garage hadn't considered any air suction instead of coolant while engine is cooling ...

· Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with my street 750 2015. I had 2 mechanics who checked my bike but still same problem. I’m glad you’re able to address your problem and your bike is still under warranty when this happened to your bike otherwise it will be costly. I will try what you did to resolve your problem. I guess there are other HD street owner that have same problem. Thanks to booty for sharing your expertise.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts