Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my 2016 XG750 last fall and put about 390KM on it before I put it away for the winter. When I went to take it out of the shed today I noticed the coolant was a bit low and that it looked like some coolant had leaked out of the back head and there was a congregation of droplets around the bottom coolant line. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
That's a 2016, with only 390 kms on it? ..................... I wouldn't be storing it in a shed then. I keep my 2015 in "indoor, heated" storage and it still looks like new!
That's a lot of "corrosion" for only 1 winter!
Even my 8 year old "Boulevard" still looks brand new

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a 2016, with only 390 kms on it? ..................... I wouldn't be storing it in a shed then. I keep my 2015 in "indoor, heated" storage and it still looks like new!
That's a lot of "corrosion" for only 1 winter!
Even my 8 year old "Boulevard" still looks brand new
I guess I'll try to convince my family to let me keep it in the living room next winter. :) All of that in the picture just washed off. It was sticky dry antifreeze.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Are you sure that is Anti Freeze?? Reason I ask is, The Harley stuff is Orange. Looks like Dexcool. That stuff forms a Jelly like substance when it dries. Those spots are White. Like the old Green AF of years ago.

My 2015 was low as well. But I never had any leaks. I think it wasn't filled properly. The Radiator Cap is under the Gas tank. And makes it hard to bleed the air out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I picked up my 2016 XG750 last fall and put about 390KM on it before I put it away for the winter. When I went to take it out of the shed today I noticed the coolant was a bit low and that it looked like some coolant had leaked out of the back head and there was a congregation of droplets around the bottom coolant line. Any thoughts?
Wanted to post an update: After seeing the leaks, I called my dealer. The shop manager said a bit of leaking is not unheard of over the winter [on any liquid cooled motorcycle] in our area as it gets very cold here. So I topped it up and committed to keeping an eye on it. With over 5000KM on the bike this summer, the coolant has not gone down at all. So I wanted to post this here as a "Don't Panic" for someone who may see the same signs of leaking after a cold winter in storage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts