Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having an issue with my 2015 street 500, 2400km on the bike. Ran fine last season, parked it in October and ran it every now and then just to keep things moving over the winter. I installed drag bars around December and haven’t really touched it since, ran it once right after the bars were put on and it ran kinda funny, didn’t run too long and shut it off (it was cold -20C) I went to go start it a week ago and got nothing, the bike would crank over fine with a fully charged year old battery and sounded normal in terms of cranking speed. The fuel pump would whine after turning to run and prime the system but would not even try to fire while cranking. Thinking it might have been flooded after only running it for a little bit, I pulled the plug on the right side of the bike to see if I could push out any raw fuel sitting in the combustion chamber but all the came out was vapour. I checked for spark outside the engine and seemed normal, the intake was sucking and the exhaust was blowing and when cranking over I could smell fuel. I’m kind of at a loss at this point cause I’m getting fuel spark and air, and it’s pushing exhaust. I added raw fuel into the cylinder through the head to see if it would fire then but still got nothing. I don’t understand why it won’t fire. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
614 Posts
Second thread that I'm grasping at straws for. All I can suggest are some basics that you probably already did:
  • How did the plug look when you pulled it? Any signs of fouling?
  • Have you checked the intake and exhaust for any partial blockages? I'm thinking critters nesting in there but not quite shutting off the full flow.
  • It was, as you said, sucking and blowing. Did you actually do a compression check? A simple check is cranking the engine with your thumb over the plug hole. There should be enough pressure to push your thumb out of the way.

·
Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Houston, Texas
376 Posts
Can you take a picture of plugs, I would be interested to see how they look. Another question, how old is the fuel? Fuel with ethenol brakes down to be almost unusable after 90 days.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Drain the tank and flush the fuel lines. If it was that cold you probably have water in the system somewhere. Also, the sparkplugs should be a coffee brown color. That indicates a clean full burn on combustion. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the reply’s, I removed the air cleaner completely till I was at the throttle body, found nothing out of the ordinary and I did not do a compression test however I felt sucking through the intake when cranking the bike over and could feel air pushing through the exhaust, I will probably drain the fuel tank tonight as it had been sitting since October, I’ve always ran premium in the tank but it is possible the fuel could just be stale, when I pulled the spark plug the first time it seemed wet, I took some high grit sand paper and just lightly cleaned off the contact points, following that I checked for spark and it seemed fine, I will pull it one more time tonight and upload a picture to see what you guys think. I will keep posted on wether or not it fires. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts