Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had John Longo customize the seat on my 2016 Street 750. The stock set up had several problems. It was too low. My hip joint was not happy. I would have to slide backwards sometimes. So, I rode into John's shop and we got started.
John uses a level, like a carpenter. The stock set up leans forward. Yes, because it's too low it was straining my joints. Also, it was awkward running the brakes and gear shift. He added a layer of his foam. We checked out the fit. It was still too low. He fitted another layer of foam. Then it was getting right. He took some material out from the center of the seat. John explained that our seat bones are designed to bear our weight on a saddle.... not our 'soft parts'! The center slot keeps my weight from where it shouldn't be and the seat fits my weight where it should be.
Next, he reduced the width to make it easier to sit and get a leg down. He knows how to shape a seat better than anyone. It was like getting a tailor made suit to order by a master of the craft.
John Longo works out of Rockville, Maryland, north of Washington, DC.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system
Fuel tank Automotive lighting Motorcycle Automotive tire Hood
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is a really nice looking seat! I've been looking for a new seat as well. I got my street 750 last year and after any length of time my hips cramp up terribly. It does go away eventually, but a 3 hour ride has me pretty sore. I've been looking at the Mustang touring seat, but I'm in WV so getting over to him might be a worthwhile day trip. If you don't mind me asking, what is the cost of a customized seat like this?

Love the bike btw! I'm looking to add a windshield and some saddle bags to mine as well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would not invest in a mass or semi-mass produced seat. It isn't made to fit ME.
John has made seats for me before. It's like going to a fine Italian tailor to get fitted for a suit. It's not at all like 'buying off the rack'. From experience I found out how a properly fitted seat changes the whole riding experience.
On my own I noticed several problems with the factory seat. It's well made, but needed help. It slopes forward, to counteract that I would sometimes move far back in the seat. But farther back wasn't the right position. The stock seat strained my hips as my butt was too low relative to my foot position on the pegs. And I thought, is this too wide?
John noticed, used a level and measuring tape. He saw everything I suspected and more. He keeps a US Cavalry McClelland saddle hanging on the wall. It has an open slot through the center. Apparently, the big bones of our butts is where our load bearing in a seat should happen. That's not the soft parts in our middle! So, the interior foam is cut with an invisible slot so I'm supported properly in the saddle, instead of roughing up my 'soft parts'.
Yes, his custom foam raised the saddle height and leveled it out. But, he narrowed the foam to make it easy for me to reach down at stops. Plus, my whole body isn't pushed toward the fuel tank anymore.
Refitting a stock seat can be done by a lot of skilled upholstery guys. I needed more than that. If you want to know John's prices, give him a call. ‭(301) 762-4373‬

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.