Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Date codes & fuel pumps

11K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  oandy 
#1 ·
'I posted this in the NHTSA thread:

The very early made streets (before 10/15/14) had the possibility of a loose fuel inlet filter connection at the main pump body. The connection is a one-time push-on fit that is not serviceable. If a loose connection is found, the complete fuel pump assembly needed to be replaced. A simple fuel pressure test would detect this.

That is pretty much TT442. And it just falls under "performance issue" no further concern detail.

Chris'
Chris,
Where an we look to find the manufacturing date to verify if the street was made before or after 10/15/14?
What about the replacement fuel pumps being shipped to dealers to take care of this problem? What date was HD fuel pump spare parts inventory replaced with the 'good' fuel pumps? My fuel pump was replaced 1/3/2015 and it failed again. Or are they still shipping potentially bad fuel pumps which may fail in future?
Appreciate if you could find out.

#2 ·
The manufacture date on the Street is located on the VIN tag; right hand side down tube and may be partially covered by the radiator shroud.

The build date will be the second line on the VIN tag; example 09/15

As for the fuel pump I don't have one in stock to look nor have we replaced one yet.

#3 ·
Thank you, you are great help.

My XG750 was manufactured 6/10, which explains the original failure. Now we need to know some identifying feature of a replacement fuel pump, like a date code or serial number, which would differentiate potentially bad fuel pump from certainly good fuel pump.

I think everyone can accept some initial issues. The problem becomes a big problem and one starts to panic, when the fuel pump gets replaced and it keeps happening. It is very important, since the only reason right now the fuel pump is getting replaced is because of this issue.
Please, try to get clarification.

#4 ·
As soon as Harley releases any info on the Street, on this or any other problem, I'll be right on here letting you know.

At dealer ship I work at we have only sold 4 streets and none of them have comeback for any problems other than the license plate reflector and re-torque of the foot pegs. All have complained about lack of range on the fuel tank, but no lag-leap issue.

#12 ·
Does re-torquing the foot pegs resolve the peg lifting and catching on your pants leg?

The biggest problem with gauging the number of bikes sold vs. comebacks is you don't know if the bikes are even being ridden or not. I was one of the last Streets sold of only a few at the dealership I got mine from and within a month at scheduling my 1000 mile service I was the first to even need to come in for service (scheduled the day I picked it up from getting the new fuel pump installed). Some people have no problem having a bike sit at waste in a garage, others like myself still can't believe they bought a brand new bike (used is so much **** cheaper) and I haven't gone more than a weekend without riding it (and that was only one weekend). If you don't ride it, it definitely won't give you a problem.

#5 ·
I fied with NHTSA, not much help there - imagine that - go to your stat DMV Lemon Law

LAG/LEAP AND SURGE PROBLEMS ARE POTENTIALLY VERY DANGEROUS TO POTENTIALLY DEADLY
Making HD corporate and dealer contacts? Why should we send a message they are already aware of? Really, think about an organization that fully understands they has a very dangerous problem and are resolved to do as little as possible unless law suits force them - they must have found the old AMF management policy book.

Most of the post I have read [from Texans]would qualify for relief under Texas Lemon Law:

TXDMV.GOV - Lemon Law

"If you are having repeated problems getting your new vehicle to operate the way that it should, the Texas Lemon Law may help you get it repurchased, replaced or repaired."

How many “reasonable attempts” to repair a defect is the manufacturer allowed?
One way to show the dealer has had a reasonable number of attempts to fix a defect is to pass the following tests. Mileage requirements in the tests do not apply to travel trailers.

The Four Times Test

You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership for repair
twice for the same problem within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first; and
twice more during the 12 months or 12,000 miles following the second repair attempt, and
the problem continues to exist.
The Serious Safety Hazard Test

A serious safety hazard is a life-threatening malfunction that substantially impedes your ability to control or operate the vehicle normally, or that creates a substantial risk of fire or explosion. You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership two or more times for the repair of a serious safety hazard

- once during first 12 months or 12,000 miles, and
- once more during the 12 months (or 12,000 miles) following the first repair attempt, and
the problem continues to exist.

The 30 Day Test

If your new vehicle has been out of service for repair due to a defect that substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle due to defects covered by the warranty for a total of 30 or more days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, and there were at least two repair attempts during the first 12 months or 12000 miles, and the problem still exists. If no loaner vehicle was provided to you by the dealer during this time period, you pass the test.

It is advisable to contact the Lemon Law Section of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) for more specific information and assistance at (888) 368-4689.

Some state lemon laws are even less demanding. Check you state's requirements.

#6 ·
Are you trying to get your Street repurchased or replaced or repaired under the lemon law? It appears that HD has no known solid fix for the fuel pump's sock separating issue - so the 'repair' may work considering some people's experience on this forum or may work only temporarily, as experienced by me and others on this forum. Some people already replaced their Street with other Harley's because they got frustrated with this issue. I still believe HD will fix this issue, if there will be repeated warranty replacements of the fuel pump. If I reach your conclusion about HD knowingly ignoring this issue and knowingly putting lives at risk, I will get rid of my Street and stay away from any Harley.

#9 ·
Lemon Law Option

My first bike was a new 1966 XLH, great bike. Had several great HD's until AMF screwed it up. Once HD was back on track I bought a 1984 FXRT and 1984 XR1000. The XR went back to HD under the TX Lemon Law. I sold the FXRT and gave up on HD. Once HDcame out with a liquid cooled bike [I could afford] I jumped on the XG. Sure it has poor brakes, engine difficulties, goofy steering geometry, but for the price and being liquid cooled I really like it. I hope to keep it, but if the issues persist I will file a request with TX DMV for a final Lemon Law determination. By the way, the problems I have experienced and recorded qualify for 3 out of the 4 separate reasons to request a final determination.

#7 ·
@ marian,

"....HD knowingly ignoring this issue and knowingly putting lives at risk, I will get rid of my Street and stay away from any Harley. "

I hope HD reads this. Like you, I think that HD will fix this problem. I honestly don't see how they can avoid it. I like my STREET and don't want to get rid of it (I haven't had the L&L problem-YET) but if I did get rid of it, why would I buy another Harley anything?

#10 ·
Mine has the lag-leap issue. It's an xg500. Manufactured 08/14. I have V&H pipes on it, however this issue has been present since new. It only has 300 miles on it. I just filled up. Right before fill up it was doing it bad. I put in 2.5 gallons. I'm only getting 34 mpg but I do a lot of short trips. Hope this helps....

#14 ·
I can assure you that my two motorcycles are not garage queens yet. Maybe the Savage (purchased with 1336 miles) is but I have over 18,000 miles on a bike I bought in 2011. My Street 750 has over 7400 miles since I purchased it last year in July. Its due for its 3rd oil change. I've had some issues with 1st and 2nd gear with engine sputtering on the bike with a steady throttle. When I speed shift there is no problem at all other than not running over anyone ahead of me. Otherwise I've been happy with my Motorcycle.

#16 ·
In case of the fuel pump 'lag and leap' problem, it does not matter if you ride a lot or you are a garage queen. You either will experience it or not. May be the inexperienced garage queen, rides infrequently only on local roads with lot of stop signs / lights. I am talking about myself. And frequent hard acceleration from standing still, may be the reason for eventually breaking mechanically the fuel pump - separating the sock. I also heard some argument that dealer with many XG500s used for training have no such issue. I do not think that the bikes used for training are not filled with gas often and that the student riders accelerate very hard with a low fuel tank. So it does not mean anything. I am just speculating.
I love my XG750 and anytime my fuel pump breaks I will have it replaced, until HD finds permanent solution. I saw the notice of date codes for the Streets, but as I started this thread, even more important is to know the status of replacement fuel pumps since the replacements are failing also.

#18 ·
@marian,

"The very early made streets (before 10/15/14) had the possibility of a loose fuel inlet filter connection at the main pump body. The connection is a one-time push-on fit that is not serviceable. If a loose connection is found, the complete fuel pump assembly needed to be replaced. A simple fuel pressure test would detect this."

According to the information I have, my 750 was manufactured on 10-14. Does this mean that I'm safe. Where did the above information originate?

ANY BODY

THANKS

#21 ·
I dont know if it is a long term fix open the attachment to see what I did (where the black cable tie touches the pick up tube is the side that pulls away from the pump), I am waiting for a message from the previous owner on when his replacement pump "failed" what I did was run a cable tie around the pump going under the wires-16"tie will work or two long ones I made sure the tie locked the strainer to the pump at thebend where the tube heads to the strainer, making sure the cable tie locks are sideways so as not to get caught on the tank going back in. So far I am at low fuel on first tank no issues, as gain I dobt know how long a pump lasts before the pickup tube comes loose from the pump- get a bad one at your dealership and cable tie (zip tie) the pick up tube like my picture and see if that fixes it. I am just a tech with no authority to try on another bike or take up time to put old pump modded back in my bike-my dealership is all about maximum $$$$$$

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.