Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just bought one from my dealer the other day. Go to install it this morning. Ran into a Wiring Problem. The 9003/H4 connector wasn't the issue. Its the Red Wire with the insulated Male Slide. Mine has a 194 Bulb in a Socket. No Female Slide connector. Am I missing something??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got it on. What a PIA to get all 5 Retainers back on. Had to use the Rubber Band. As it was slightly smaller than the opening in the mounting bracket. Just plugged in the 9003/H4 connector. Seems to work. Don't know what that Red Wire is for??

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did some calculations if anyone is interested.

H4/9003 Bulb 12V and 55 Watts. Would be roughly 4.6Amps (Low Beam)

Day Maker LED 12V 38 Watts Max. Would be roughly 3.2 Amps Max. Normal Low beam is probably around 1.6 Amps.

What this means is, More Available Power for Goodies!!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hooked up the extra red wire. Its for the HD emblem in the lower part of the headlamp. I coated the wire and terminals with silicone grease. Hopefully I wont have any issues down the road.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't ridden in the dark yet. But it is Bright. And White.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put my on last summer it makes reflective road signs light up over a half mile down the road very bright but not like high beams. Now the high beams on this light are amazing I have never felt like I could out run my lights even spotted a deer in the woods because it's eyes glinted over a mile away. I believe the bikes should come with these lights they are that good.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hi all. I just bought one from my dealer the other day. Go to install it this morning. Ran into a Wiring Problem. The 9003/H4 connector wasn't the issue. Its the Red Wire with the insulated Male Slide. Mine has a 194 Bulb in a Socket. No Female Slide connector. Am I missing something??
The stock head light has two bulbs. when you install daymaker just tuck other wire with plug back with other wires. That 194 bulb came on with accessory switch on ignition. You might find a use for that wire not being use with daymaker light as an accessory add on. Just my two bits.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I am in the process of replacing the headlight on my 2016 750 now, but have a question. Since the new replacement unit does not come with its own housing ring, I imagine the ring from the original headlight assembly needs to come off and be used again with the replacement.

Thing is, how exactly does the old headlight unit come out from the headlight unit casing? Is there a trick, or do each of the metal connectors holding the old unit in place need to come undone and then re-done on the new unit?

Sorry if this is a silly ?, but this is my 1st HD and do not want to ruin my headlight lol.

Thanks for all of the assistance.

Best,

USVet96

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After you remove the Bracket, You need to Remove the 5 Retainers. Use a Flat Head screwdriver. They're Spring Retainers. I had to install the Rubber Band on mine. Its a Bear to get the five Spring Retainers back on. And keep the headlamp centered. I wish HD had actually included a New Mounting Ring for the price. I would use a Clean Cloth underneath the lamp to prevent scratched.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
After you remove the Bracket, You need to Remove the 5 Retainers. Use a Flat Head screwdriver. They're Spring Retainers. I had to install the Rubber Band on mine. Its a Bear to get the five Spring Retainers back on. And keep the headlamp centered. I wish HD had actually included a New Mounting Ring for the price. I would use a Clean Cloth underneath the lamp to prevent scratched.
OK this is great information. So you are saying to remove EACH tensioner from the old assembly ONE at a time correct? And basically, use a fat-head and pry under and UP to release the tension of each retainer? Do that for EACH retainer of the old assembly, then put the rubber band on the NEW HL assembly, THEN attach the old retainer clips to the new HL assembly unit (with rubber band ON)?

Is it really that much of a PIA? I ask because my local HD said they would do the install for like $25 (15 minutes of labor lol). That being the case, I would rather just let THEM deal with it and all them retainers for $25 lol.

What do you think as you have already successfully completed this "HL Mission;" worth the $25?

Thanks again for your help!

Best,

USVet96

Reactions: 10-64

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its not a matter of it being Complicated. Just Tricky. As this was my first one, I spent about an hour. Mostly with getting the Retainers back in place. It would help to use a Star Pattern when reinstalling the Retainers. Otherwise, The LED will be off center. And the Retainers wont grab on one side.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I looked at it again and for a $25 install I'm deciding to let HD do it lol.

Don't want to worry about aligning it properly and such. Now had it been an hour of labor for the install @ $110 instead of $25 then I would have done it myself.

Thanks again for your assistance and feedback; I appreciate it.

Reactions: 10-64

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'd almost always let the dealer do this kind of stuff. You ride in, let them deal with getting it put on right, and you ride away. Less frustrating, and more fun riding.
You don't have to worry about the light not being aimed correctly anymore either. (I replaced one once, on my other bike, then spent more time trying to re aim the headlight than it was worth. Still not aimed properly! And .................. as for the guys trying to put the rear luggage rack on the 750's, and stripping the bolts out, let the dealer "F" it up .................. then they have to replace the bolts, not you!)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As long as you don't move the Housing, The Alignment is not changing.

$25 install? I'll ask my dealer. Just sounds Cheap.

·
Registered
504 Posts
As long as you don't move the Housing, The Alignment is not changing.

$25 install? I'll ask my dealer. Just sounds Cheap.
On my other bike I inadvertently started turning an adjustment screw when I was attempting to remove the outer ring that holds the light in.

Threw it out of alignment! :crying:

·
Registered
156 Posts
When I changed mine out, the new one was aimed too low. Guys at dealership fixed it for me when I was in for something else

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone know the part number for the rubber ring? I bought a second hand daymaker locally but of course that wasn't included and for the life of me I can't get the light centered. I assume the ring would help if I can get one.

Thanks for the help

1 - 20 of 21 Posts