Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the idea of the Harley Daymaker LED light, but at $400 it's a bit pricey. Even if ordering from someone like BoardTracker, that gets it down to $320... still a bit much.

On top of that, Harley doesn't seem to even be offering it anymore on their main site? Part #67700145 (or 67700147A) doesn't show up on harley-davidson.com. I have a Street 750 registered there as my bike, and a search for Daymaker brings up no results (although I can find it on the harley-davidson.ca, the Canadian site... go figure). On the USA site, even when I successfully found the 5 3/4" Daymaker, clicking on it brings up a page that says "This product is no longer available."

So -- affordable alternatives?

Two things I've come across: there appears to be a generic "Daymaker" type of light available here:
5 75" 5 3 4" Black Projector Daymaker LED Light Bulb Headlight for Harley | eBay

Now, $135 is more like it. But at 1/3 the price, the odds of it being cheap junk shoot way up. Or is it possibly the same product that Harley sells, just without the Harley name? Unlikely, but I'm really just asking to see if anyone has gotten or tried this light and has anything to report about it.

Another alternative is an H4 replacement bulb from DK Custom:
DK Custom Premium White LED Drop-In Headlight Bulb H4 - Fits All Harley

$69.95 is pretty darn affordable. Does it work on a Street? They have a disclaimer on their site about the CANBus bikes, saying:
NOTE: H-D CANbus motorcycles require at least 1.2Amps of power draw for the headlight circuit or an error code may display. This will not effect the operation or use of this bulb in any way but at this time there is no way to disable this.
Then again, they also say:
These are Not DOT Approved. Legal for Off-Road Use Only.
That kind of ruins it. They do make a DOT-approved replacement Xenon light, for $23, that puts out 900 lumens. That's a little under 1/3 as much light as the LED, so it's not nearly as appealing of an upgrade.

Anyway -- what are you folks doing for headlight upgrades?

·
Registered
504 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The Ebay one doesn't have the Pilot Light. The little HD shield in the bottom between the two High LEDs. Note: When I installed mine, I had to use the (Included)rubber band. Otherwise the housing would be loose.

There are LED replacement "Bulbs". Don't know how good they are

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought one on Amazon. Issyzone for $99. Works great (no I don't have the link, I've had it for awhile)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I don't see How an Error Code will display. As the Headlamp is not connected to the Computer. The Harley unit draws a Max 3.4A (If I remember correctly). The Stock Headlamp and Pilot Bulb draw around 5A.

When I get the money, I am getting the Engine Guards. And mounting some LED Driving Lights. But that wont be until later this year. After I get caught up with some bills.

·
Registered
504 Posts
When I get the money, I am getting the Engine Guards. And mounting some LED Driving Lights. But that wont be until later this year. After I get caught up with some bills.
Seriously thinking of doing the same thing

·
Registered
12 Posts
I pretty much have the same issue, have not seen a daymaker for a reasonable price, and I am scared of cheap units that are of poor quality (especially for something as important as a headlight). So the alternative I have settled on is the engine guards with LED driving lights as Tuscon mentioned. Related note: Does anyone know the amperage output of the stock alternator and what its load limits are?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
They do make LED Bulb replacements. Not sure how good they are??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Realluxled.com has good quality light for decent money. My buddy just put them on his Ultra Classic and they look great and are super bright.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you have cash to burn, J.W. Speaker makes a light that is brighter than the daymaker for only $600. My dealership had their annual block party and the guy in the tent said he would for 15 percent off. Also said light has a 5 year warranty. J. W. Speaker is located not too far from where I live in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got one of the cheap daymaker alternatives off Amazon, and it was not much different from the stock headlight (apart from being blue instead of yellow light, and I'm sure it drew less power). So I ponied up the big bucks and got the JW Speaker adaptive 8690/A... and it is superb. The price difference ($75 to $500) is massive, but appropriate given the performance difference.

If anyone wants a WiiPro headlight, I'll sell my old one cheap.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I see that some of you have bought the Wisamic referenced above?
Currently considering buying it, but I am curious about performance and quality (and of course ease of install/fit). Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had no real problems installing the Wisamic, just that it was a little tricky undoing the clips that hold the bulb in place and then to put it back together (I'm all thumbs). Regarding performance, I'd say it's at least twice as bright as the stock bulb. If you have any doubts just read the reviews on the Amazon product page.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts