Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called the dealer to get prices on the stage 1 flash, since reading it would be needed. They said that the bike does not need the flash. Which now has me scared as knowing it does, makes me wonder what they could have/missed on my 1k service. I am thinking I may need to go to another dealership.

Thoughts? I bought a Loose Cannon Slip on, have been riding stock for about a year (just 1320 miles) and thought I would like a bit more sound. I liked the quiet ride for long treks because of the peacefulness while driving with my head on a swivel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads up, I have looked into the fp3 I just was worried about blowing my warranty. Figured I would wait another year before going fp3.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is the FP3 user friendly and easy to re-tune (fuel to air ratio)the bike? I heard it's only for like 5 aftermarket brands....I was thinking about a custom air intake like Free Spirits and Firebrand exhaust....

·
Registered
491 Posts
Called the dealer to get prices on the stage 1 flash, since reading it would be needed. They said that the bike does not need the flash. Which now has me scared as knowing it does, makes me wonder what they could have/missed on my 1k service. I am thinking I may need to go to another dealership.

Thoughts? I bought a Loose Cannon Slip on, have been riding stock for about a year (just 1320 miles) and thought I would like a bit more sound. I liked the quiet ride for long treks because of the peacefulness while driving with my head on a swivel.
I have the FB loose cannon with dq baffle. was told by dealership that as long as I had a baffle for back pressure a stage 1 upgrade wasn't needed. I'm not running a vo2 just stock intake with k &n filter. I have almost 10k miles on my loose cannon and it sounds even better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the FB loose cannon with dq baffle. was told by dealership that as long as I had a baffle for back pressure a stage 1 upgrade wasn't needed. I'm not running a vo2 just stock intake with k &n filter. I have almost 10k miles on my loose cannon and it sounds even better.
Would this still be the case with no dq baffle and no upgraded air filter?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

I have the Grand Prix and K&N Air Filter. I didn't think I needed a software upgrade. Someone suggested the FP3 to me. Got mine On Sale. Put it on, And my bike "Woke up"

·
Registered
491 Posts
Would this still be the case with no dq baffle and no upgraded air filter?
I ran the Loose Cannon without a DQ with stock intake and a mechanic at the dealership told no map would be needed. The Mechanic told me if I ran like a VO2 with an open baffle exhaust then yes, I would need to change the map and get the stage 1 upgrade.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the VO2 a high intake air cleaner? I will be putting on the loose cannon tomorrow, and am looking forward to it. I'll be running stock air filter, and no dq baffle. I have determined I trust this site over the dealer as the messages from the dealer seem pretty inconsistent.

Thank you so very much for all the advice, and input!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Is the VO2 a high intake air cleaner? I will be putting on the loose cannon tomorrow, and am looking forward to it. I'll be running stock air filter, and no dq baffle. I have determined I trust this site over the dealer as the messages from the dealer seem pretty inconsistent.

Thank you so very much for all the advice, and input!

VO2
Yes its a HIGH flow air intake you will need a fuel controller
Vance and Hines FP3 fuelpak $399
or have the Harley dealer flash your bike not sure on the cost $50-$150
if not it will blow up your engine

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheese-us Rice Batman, this loose cannon makes my bike sound like a beast!

Started laughing when I fired it up cause it was night and day different!

Drove it about 15 miles and did not notice any performance changes (as still stock air with no flash).

But the sound. WOW! I'll be making a video soon... No reason to do a before as we all know what that sounds like.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

How much of a difference was the quiet db killer baffle? Do you have any pictures of what it looks like installed? Did you notice any performance differences before the DB and after?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Called local dealer twice to verify. Dealer claims that adding slip ons and upgraded air filter does not require the flash/download. Reccomendation was to install and if to lean then bring it in but it should learn/make minor adustments. Infact air filter should help with the slip ons.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I went ahead and got the FP3 as I can reflash as I continue to modify. I am impressed with the immediate improved throttle control. My fuel Mileage went up 3 mpg as well (Traveling 2 full tanks at 75-80mph).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put on Basani Short straights and V&H V02 intake. Called my dealer and was told to run the bike and see how it performs. Was a bit concerned so I called another local dealer and the tech told me there wasnt a flash for the street. Hum....now knowing that wasnt right so I called a third and they said if i didnt flash it i could damage the engine. Ug! Called my dealer back to schedule the flash....$240.00. Really.
Ordered the V&H Fuel pack 3. Installed and tuned the bike in 10 minutes.
My baby is alive now. What a difference. The intake pulls an insane amount of air now I can quick tune or adjust and fine tune.
Get the fuel pak

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just ordered a Bassani pipe and already have the Screaming Eagle intake on my bike. For the fuel pack, does it matter which version of the FP3 I buy? My bike was purchased in CA (the guys at Sweetwater Harley in National City, San Diego kick ass, BTW), but I'm not living there now (currently living in Japan, so CA emissions aren't an issue for me).

Do I need to get the CA-compliant model of the FP3 or will the standard one work (and, by extension, work better)?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just ordered a Bassani pipe and already have the Screaming Eagle intake on my bike. For the fuel pack, does it matter which version of the FP3 I buy? My bike was purchased in CA (the guys at Sweetwater Harley in National City, San Diego kick ass, BTW), but I'm not living there now (currently living in Japan, so CA emissions aren't an issue for me).

Do I need to get the CA-compliant model of the FP3 or will the standard one work (and, by extension, work better)?

Thanks!

Definitely get the standard FP3. The CA version only has access to 2 maps. I believe It can still use the Autotune mode though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks.

I know the models sold in CA are a little different configuration-wise, so I wasn't sure about compatibility.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just ordered a Speed Merchant slip on this morning, and found this thread by happenstance. Now I'm concerned. It seems like the dealers aren't being informed properly? Is the advice simply to run it and if it needs fixin' take it in? Or should the fp3 be on my short list? Either way, I'll call the dealer near me to see what they have to say/compare to what I've found here. Seems like theres smarter people on this forum than most dealers.

EDIT: running stock air filter (this is the first mod to the bike)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts