Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can I wrap the headers without removing ?
Has anyone tried it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a few more questions
So you used hose clamps instead of the stainless zip ties?
Any idea how long you managed to use?
Did you wrap it coming from the exhaust going to the engine?

Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yes, I used real clamps because the stainless ties from DEI are absolute junk. They do not get tight. I went so far as using a screwdriver as a wedge to hold the tie and pulling on the end with everything I had and it was still loose. After the third one I tossed them.
I used all but about 6" of a 50' roll.
No. I wrapped from the collector forward as you're supposed to. I did the inside (front cylinder) header tube first starting directly in front of the collector up to the cylinder head, then I started at the slip on and wrapped forward, once I got to the collector, I slightly went past both header tubes then I came back underneath and continued to wrap the second header tube. This, in my opinion, gives a cleaner look but you could easily wrap just the header tubes then come back and cover both when wrapping the collector, you'd just have to figure a way to secure it in place.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yes, I used real clamps because the stainless ties from DEI are absolute junk. They do not get tight. I went so far as using a screwdriver as a wedge to hold the tie and pulling on the end with everything I had and it was still loose. After the third one I tossed them.
I used all but about 6" of a 50' roll.
No. I wrapped from the collector forward as you're supposed to. I did the inside (front cylinder) header tube first starting directly in front of the collector up to the cylinder head, then I started at the slip on and wrapped forward, once I got to the collector, I slightly went past both header tubes then I came back underneath and continued to wrap the second header tube. This, in my opinion, gives a cleaner look but you could easily wrap just the header tubes then come back and cover both when wrapping the collector, you'd just have to figure a way to secure it in place.

"exactly" what I did also!....and I totally agree with you about the worthless so called ties they send too, they are indeed worthless!

the only difference with my install was I reinstalled the heat sheilds

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@charles: thanks for the directions

@Rock : did the original heat shield fit again? I mostly concerned in that area and want to significantly reduce the heat there since i got burned once

1 - 8 of 8 Posts