Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Downshifting

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  750STREETRIDER 
#1 ·
Hey, I'm complete beginner and just wanted to get some others opinions on this. I've ridden only about 30 miles and would have already had my msf course but our local instructor has been out with illness...so waiting for his return.
Question is...
Is engine breaking ok as my main means of downshifting without harm...clutch, downshift, throttle
I've attempted rev matching, but without a tach I'm not doing so great by just listening alone...but I have been doing pretty good with engine breaking and as well just holding the clutch in rolling up to stop signs and downshifting into 1st...just seeing if this will cause any harm to the bike?

#9 ·
i usually only rely on downshift engine braking when going downhill. otherwise it's almost always brakes to slow down the bike (especially if i am using my scooter, no clutch on that thing)

#10 ·
Personally I engine brake every time......well only down to 2nd......and I do not give it any gas prior to letting the clutch out. Now I don't just drop the clutch, I let it out nice and easy.......I have a buddy with a street glide who never engine brakes, and he went through a set of brake pads in just over 5,000 miles......don't know about you, but an extra $150 (min) every 5K for new brake pads is just to much for my blood. And it should not damage your clutch, that is what is is designed to do. So use I use the engine to help me slow down EVERYTIME. the only time I don't is when I have to stop quickly, and there is no time to down shift.

My 2 cents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.